Poecilotheria Eats BSF

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
If there was any doubt (I had plenty),
whether a Poecilotheria would eat black soldier flies,
I noticed most of the flies I put in the enclosure were missing.
And then I finally saw it:
My P. metallica snagged one on the wall—
and ate in less than a minute.
So, yeah, if there was any doubt whether black soldier flies were an insubstantial food source...

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
One possible advantage of BSF adults is that they don't eat or have mouthparts that can bite or eat. So there shouldn't be any potential to harm the pokies during a molt.
Another is being able to watch spiders eat flies.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Now I have to ask, why not?
I don't believe there is a reason why you shouldn't. I guess it comes down to personal opinion, do you want flies and larvae in your enclosure or not. Will a fully mature pokie actually take a BSF?

Anyways I am not dismissing the idea, it's just weird :wacky:

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Just a question, why not feed the larvae?
BSF larvae are terrestrial and Poecilotheria are arboreal. I think mine only comes to the ground when desperate. Also the larvae would just bury themselves if they got out of whatever dish I put them in. It would be cool if a T would discover the pupas and eat them out of a dish, but not even my terrestrials recognize the pupa as food, even when they wiggle a little.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
BSF larvae are terrestrial and Poecilotheria are arboreal. I think mine only comes to the ground when desperate. Also the larvae would just bury themselves if they got out of whatever dish I put them in. It would be cool if a T would discover the pupas and eat them out of a dish, but not even my terrestrials recognize the pupa as food, even when they wiggle a little.
I am fairly lucky I guess, my pokies have been tong fed since sling days. It is the only species I feed with tongs (1st species I tried it with as well). I am not too keen on tong feeding but going 10 years without an incident, touch wood.

My pokies will probably take the larvae if I tong feed it to them. I have fed pre-killed dubia with tongs with great success.

I should probably stop tong feeding but there is something about them taking it from you in that manner that is exciting:rolleyes:

I might actually try this with some of my juvies, I am just not sure what nutritional value BSF have compared to crickets, roaches etc? Maybe you can give me some detail?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I mean... maybe as a 'treat' to watch your T catch flying prey, but realistically a fly isn't big enough to constitute a meal for any T over .5"

and Poecilotheria are arboreal.
Ehhhh. Not in an Avic way. Pokies create shallow burrows and dirt curtains, and hang out at the base of hides quite often. I have left pre-killed feeders on the 'floor' of Pokie enclosures, which are found without issue.

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Don't know much comparatively, except BSF have more calcium, which is mostly advantageous for feeding to vertebrates, crustaceans, and mollusks. Per gram, flies will have less nutrition than pupas or larvae.
I am going to try them but overall I'll stick to my b. lateralis, they are honestly great and easy feeders.

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
I mean... maybe as a 'treat' to watch your T catch flying prey, but realistically a fly isn't big enough to constitute a meal for any T over .5"
If by fly you mean a .3" housefly, sure.
However, surely a .5" inch blue bottle fly would be significant for a 1" T,
and a 1" Hermetia illucens would be significant for a 2" T.
Apparently, like peanuts, my adult male P. metallica couldn't eat just one and ate over a half dozen in one evening while drumming around and looking for a mate. So even if they are only a snack, at least he's eating something on his hunt for a female. You can briefly see one climb past him in his drumming video:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/drumming-videos.322318/#post-2956543

I agree BSF are probably not complete nutrition for a T, but it looks like something I can safely leave in the tank that doesn't try to hide and is still relatively easy to catch and eat.

Ehhhh. Not in an Avic way. Pokies create shallow burrows and dirt curtains, and hang out at the base of hides quite often. I have left pre-killed feeders on the 'floor' of Pokie enclosures, which are found without issue.
Okay, since I've only only had five metallicas, I don't know the genus very well, but none of mine have burrowed or scattered substrate. I've seen them pick up live crickets off the ground, but it appears to be a last resort after hunting the tops of their tubes and walls. Unlike the Ts I consider terrestrial, they are far more adept and inclined at running around the top of the cage and catching these flies, anyway.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe so. I base the size of a feeder a T gets by their body size not leg span...

Hi Teal,

You feeling or opinion on tong feeding?
I tong feed my adult female P. met. It's fun! Everyone says you're risking your T breaking a fang on the tongs, but I just hold the feeder by the rear end and the T grabs it by the front. People also say you cannot use mesh/screen lids, etc. which I have a ton of also. My point being... know the risks and make a decision you're comfortable with.