poecilotheria communication

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Out of curiosity. Would two male poecilotheria drum to each other? One is a mm vittata the other is a suspect female regalis. Just wondering if I could discern if the regalis was a female from that info. Meanwhile the rufilata between them looked like it was listening but not responding .the rufilata is a suspect male though so maybe ?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Male drumming is different than female. Male Poecs drum with their palps, and it seems that the different species have a different number of taps per burst. Females wildly tap their front legs in a chaotic manner. Easy for them to tell males from females, actually easy for us to tell too. If two males are drumming to each other, they're probably in competition for whatever females are close by, a very common event in the animal world. Much better than combat. Maybe the loudest drummer attracts the female.

Males find females by their scent, and in captivity, we usually have a number of females confined in one room, so the combined scents they're giving off are probably very stimulating and very confusing to males. It's like they're surrounded by a harem of strange exotic females. This could be one factor in the success or failure of captive breeding attempts.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Out of curiosity. Would two male poecilotheria drum to each other? One is a mm vittata the other is a suspect female regalis. Just wondering if I could discern if the regalis was a female from that info. Meanwhile the rufilata between them looked like it was listening but not responding .the rufilata is a suspect male though so maybe ?
No, but they can animate other females of the same genus poecilotheria, i have witnessed that firsthand. I mean in the neigbouring enclosures of course, not in the same...

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Do you mean different species within the poecilotheria genus will communicate male to female?

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you mean different species within the poecilotheria genus will communicate male to female?
Yes. i have many poecilotheria, and many breedings going on pretty much most of the year. The enclosures are as you can see in my picture next to eachother. So many times when a formosa male drums the female tigrinawesseli next door starts drumming also and maybe others. it is fun to be out here in my animal room in breeding season, much drumming all the time and activity. I use my animal room as my office also.

Attachments

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
I dont know if those two were drumming to each other or they were just coincedentally drumming at the same time . The regalis molted into a male to my surprise. On the night of a full moon aswell as a. Seemani. Nice. I have mine all clustered together aswell only a couple pokies though. All three are males im 80% the rufilata is male.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Males competing for a female. The loudest one gets the prize.
Ok, but such a skinny prize, let me say. P.muticus 1.0, on the other hand, while IMO extremely ugly to see, gain the supreme pleasure, something (comparing the Spider's world to ours) only witnessed by those lucky enough to been invited into a good old Empire days ancient Roma party.

Ah, the Goddess...