Poecilotheria care

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
this one will be on Poecilotheria, or the ornamental/tiger spiders. Poecilotheria, or "pokies", are one of the more popular OW arboreal genera, probably due to their colors, patterns and size. they have a reputation for potent venom, skittishness, and defensiveness. while i think their reputation is over hyped, that is no excuse for carelessness. they do have venom and wont hesitate to use it. this thread will go in depth on care and other tips for the Poecilotheria genus. hope this helps some one..
1) background info- Poecilotheria are native to India and Sri Lanka. they commonly live in trees, much like how owls are usually depicted as. the adult females range in size from about 6", for the metallicas, up to around 9" fro the rufilata and possibly the ornata. males have much less color and are generally very ugly compared to females. it is possible IME, to tell the sex of immature specimens without a molt or checking the underside. im not sure if all species are like this, but P vittata show signs of sexual dimorphism. my 4" male is no where near as vividly colored as my females were at that size. the whole genus has potent venom compared to most tarantulas, there are videos of peoples bite reactions on youtube if youre interested. they are quite skittish as well, they are very fast and wont hesitate to use that speed. they can be defensive and temperament varies from spider to spider, but none of mine are particularly defensive. they wont hesitate to throw a threat posture, but seem to mostly rely on their patterns to hide from predators. they will usually hold still when i disturb their cages. no reason to be complacent however..

2) Humidity- Poecilotheria are quite tolerant of dryer cages, but are more commonly kept a little more humid. i never let my cages to dry out completely, and make sure to have a decent sized water dish as well. i overflow the dish once a week or so to keep the humidity a little higher. as slings, i keep them very similarly to Psalmopoeus, which i highly recommend raising and owning before tackling a genus with the venom of Poecilotheria. for 3/4" slings up to 3" or so, i prefer to use a 32oz deli cup. i add a few inches of moist substrate, usually a mix of peat moss and eco earth, a cork slab against what i decide to be the back of the cage, a water dish, and youre good to go. if no cork is available, natural wood found outdoors is fine. i like to heat the "wild caught" wood in a oven for a half hour or so, to kill off any bacteria that might harm the spider. i do have more mold issues with natural wood however...

3)Ventilation-Poecilotheria are not like Avicularia, who need high ventilation to survive. they do live in more humid cages though, and good ventilation should be installed to help prevent mold. i do a row or two around the top of the deli cup and a few in the lid. for larger cages i try to keep the same general system.

4) Rehousing- this is where problems come in for new pokie keepers and those who dont have the experience they should when they acquire their first pokie. pokies are very quick and can near teleport up your arms onto your back or head, or just bolt across the room. they prefer to stay still and let their camouflage protect them, but when that fails, the only options are flee or fight. they tend to flee but wont hesitate to throw a threat posture and start striking. i use a 32oz deli for pokie above 3" and a 16oz for pokies under 3". (as a catch cup) i use a straw to prod.

5) Set up- Pokies are similar to Psalmopoeus in their set ups as well. they generally adopt a hide a bit closer to the ground and will even burrow. dont let this fool you, as they are definitely arboreal. they will use the more vertical part of their cage extensively. i like a few inches of semi moist substrate, a piece of cork bark or chunk of natural wood that can easily conceal the spider completely, and a water dish.

6) feeding- Poecilotheria are usually great eaters, they wont hesitate to take larger prey even as slings. (within reason of course) i dont like to tong feed my pokies, even with long tongs with soft ends. they are fast spiders and can run up tongs. you can never be too sure on their reaction.

7) temperatures- i keep my Poecilotheria at the same temps as the rest of my spiders. there is some stuff going around about P subfusca highland and P rufilata preferring lower temperatures, but they seem to do just fine at the normal 70-78 i have my room at. Poecilotheria are from a fairly tropical area, and if anything, temps should be a little higher than normal.

8) Handling- i dont know if i really even have to go over this one. handling tolerant NW species is bad enough, handling OW arboreals with much worse venom is just stupid. there is no gain to handling. the spider doesnt like it and may bite. if its too tempting, maybe try a different pet. people who do handle Poecilotheria are doing it to wither impress their friends, are just plain ignorant, or just dumb. if a pokie bolts during a rehouse onto your hands, thats different.

All in all, Poecilotheria are a great genus for the experienced hobbyist. they have very unique patterns and have some great colors as well. they are a little on the reclusive side but i see all of mine out multiple times a day. they have good feeding responses and are fast growers. they generally get very large and are just a joy to keep.

Pics: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/genus-poecilotheria.5939/ (official pokie picture thread) IMG_20170105_032642464.jpg
IMG_20161229_165234700.jpg
IMG_20170226_184626944.jpg
IMG_20170131_234741617.jpg
ignore the mold in the metallicas cage, sub will be changed shortly.
IMG_20161225_011454168.jpg
IMG_20161224_201819706.jpg

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member

I let all my pokies dry out completely...actually I moisten them occasionally...opposite of you...goes to show that, like Psalms, they're very adaptable and do fine ain a wide range of conditions.

They even do well housed terrestrially, although I only house juvies this way.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That subfusca is such a nice specimen. I mean, they all are, but yeah... Gorgeous.
Subfusca are the best looking imo.

Poecilotheria are my favorite pic candidates. IMG_20180205_212425224.jpg
P ornata
IMG_20171208_165301667.jpg
Rufie
IMG_20180111_205421384.jpg
Metallica
IMG_20171205_182215016.jpg
Sp contortionist
IMG_20171112_220003557.jpg
Freshly molted ornata

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Is the first picture the lowland form, I'm just guessing from what I can remember about the pattern due to their different climate.
No. It's the Highland. Lowland is subfusca. Highland is "Bara". Which actually is wrong and not used. Big mixup in the hobby that's been going on for awhile. :) Highland are supposed to like it cooler, and lowland hotter like most other pokies. Highland are small while lowland can rival ornata.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
No. It's the Highland. Lowland is subfusca. Highland is "Bara". Which actually is wrong and not used. Big mixup in the hobby that's been going on for awhile. :) Highland are supposed to like it cooler, and lowland hotter like most other pokies. Highland are small while lowland can rival ornata.
Typical - I never get it right :bag:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Great thread man, I'll gladly contribute some pics of my specimens.

Start with these beauties.
P.subfusca lowland

Mature male.

P.ornata

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
No. It's the Highland. Lowland is subfusca. Highland is "Bara". Which actually is wrong and not used. Big mixup in the hobby that's been going on for awhile.
Is there a paper around discussing this? Everything I can find in a quick search points to "Lowland" being former P. bara and "Highland" being P. subfusca. Looking for clarification.

Your specimen also matches more closely to the P. sp. Lowland on the Poecilotheria poster with the photos from @mygale.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Is there a paper around discussing this? Everything I can find in a quick search points to "Lowland" being former P. bara and "Highland" being P. subfusca. Looking for clarification.

Your specimen also matches more closely to the P. sp. Lowland on the Poecilotheria poster with the photos from @mygale.
There was an article in the BTS journal about it from Michael Jacobi. I'll see if I can find it.

http://lovetarantulas.com/journal.htm

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

P. regalis spiderling

P. metallica female

P. metallica spiderling

P. striata female

Total babes. I too keep mine on the dry side and add water every now and then. I keep slings more wet than I keep the juveniles and adults.

Last edited:

octaJon

Arachnopeon
Wow great pics everyone! I cannot wait for my pokie slings and juvies to get bigger.

Question for the experienced pokie keepers: Realizing that each specimen is unique, Do you notice any commonalities in the behaviors/temperaments amongst the different species of Poecilotheria?

cold blood

Staff member
Wow great pics everyone! I cannot wait for my pokie slings and juvies to get bigger.

Question for the experienced pokie keepers: Realizing that each specimen is unique, Do you notice any commonalities in the behaviors/temperaments amongst the different species of Poecilotheria?
There are generalizations, but there is also individuality that doesn't always follow with the "norm". Ornata are known for being more defensive...mine (and others) is one of my calmer pokies. Regalis tend to be calmer over-all, but one of mine (out of 4) is super skittish...striata is known for being more skittish, but we have one keeper here who's striata is among his calmer specimens. Vitatta tend to be calm, but my AF is easily the biggest escape risk in my entire t room....but she's never been defensive.

Formosa and tigrinwesselli tend to be more high strung...but that doesn't mean there aren't calmer examples out there.

In general though, pokies seem to rely on their camo, which makes for a generally calmer, more confident t.....especially as they gan size.

Last edited: