Pmet sling Bad molt but still moving. Help please

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
My p met sling is molting and its been 24 hours and still on the same place on the vid. I i thought its dead thats why i touched him but he moved. I saw some parts of the molt is still attached to him but he is still strongly moving. then i tried putting him in the icu but i think its a wrong move and put him back in his enclosure. I need some advice guys please should i throw him or still wait for him ?

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
Thank you so much ! Im panicking right now. Its been 24 hours already since thr start of his molt but not yet showing any signs. Should i interfere now ?

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
How far has it gotten? Are the fangs out? Be VERY delicate if you move it around. How big is it? It never hurts to post pictures.

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
Its been 24 hours of molting. Actually i already tried to move it in a icu enclosure. But put him back in his enclosure. The fangs are out and i think this is already a very bad molt. But he is still moving.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
My p met sling is molting and its been 24 hours and still on the same place on the vid. I i thought its dead thats why i touched him but he moved. I saw some parts of the molt is still attached to him but he is still strongly moving. then i tried putting him in the icu but i think its a wrong move and put him back in his enclosure. I need some advice guys please should i throw him or still wait for him ?
also the icu thing is only for dehydrated tarantulas. it is a common misconception that raising the humidity will help or benefit a molting tarantula.
(mods plz merge this with my other reply :( )

Last edited:

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
good day :)and i thought u were referring to my comment about the icu. anyways i apologized and agreed with miranda, i was thinking in the moment sincerest apologies once again @OP
No need for apologies my friend. No offense taken, I was in panic last night so I can't make my words clear. I asked if i should throw him or wait for him because when i asked some people in my facebook group, they already said RIP and condolence etc. Not even one said that it can be saved and one commentor said bad words about me like I was a stupid keeper. That's why im a bit confused. Well this proves that this forum is less toxic and more helpful ! Im glad I joined here. Lesson learned and i will now take care of my T more more seriously

I still need help guys ifever this happens again. Should i do the manual helping method of helping a T remove the molt 4 days or ASAP ? And also I did the process, but after 3 or 4 legs that I got out, he stopped moving and still I continued I think thats the reason why he died, because at the first three legs he was helping me remove the molt but then he stopped

Last edited by a moderator:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
@Vnckenneth Sorry you lost your T.

The criticism you've received is because you moved/handled a flipped T to ICU -- never handle a moulting T.

That said, when all hope for a normal moult is lost, then assisting in exo removal was a logical step --it's not generally successful in a bad moult, but at least you know you tried.

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
@Vnckenneth Sorry you lost your T.

The criticism you've received is because you moved/handled a flipped T to ICU -- never handle a moulting T.

That said, when all hope for a normal moult is lost, then assisting in exo removal was a logical step --it's not generally successful in a bad moult, but at least you know you tried.
Hi! Actually i moved him in the ICU because its been 24 hours already since he is molting. And i noticed that nothing is happening so panicked and asked some peeps. And viola, miranda said about the assisting thing and I tried. Anyways thank you!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Sorry for the loss of your pet. Some slings are more delicate than others, even from those of the same species. I had a small A. avic that died trying to molt and it was never able to "pop its top". It was healthy all the way up until it tried to moult. There just are some things that can't be prevented, no matter the lengths we go as keepers of these amazing creatures.

SapphireTigress

Arachnopeon
Im sorry you lost your little buddy! Slings are harder than adults i feel, i had a tiny fireleg sling i lost bc i got sick for too long and he dried out.

I was crushed. They are such silly creatures that i definitely consider mine pets.

boina

Lady of the mites
never handle a moulting T.
it's not generally successful in a bad moult,
Sorry Ellen, but both of these things are wrong. If a molting tarantula seems to be in trouble you need to help immediately and of course you need to move it for that. And in most cases you can actually help successfully if you start early enough. This "never handle a molting T" rule does more harm than good.

@Vnckenneth - if something seems wrong with the molt you start helping immediately. As long as the tarantula is still soft your chances of getting it out alive are very good. When it has already hardened somewhat (like in your sling) the chances decrease dramatically.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
That said, when all hope for a normal moult is lost, then assisting in exo removal was a logical step --it's not generally successful in a bad moult, but at least you know you tried
Sorry Ellen, but both of these things are wrong. If a molting tarantula seems to be in trouble you need to help immediately and of course you need to move it for that. And in most cases you can actually help successfully if you start early enough. This "never handle a molting T" rule does more harm than good.
Actually I agreed with intervening when all hope for a possible moult was lost.
I still believe OP was correctly criticized for moving/handling the T to move it to ICU; and I think that moving the T to an ICU was a bad call.
Generally if a T requires "ICU" then it's probably too late -- correct husbandry (like providing proper humidity & having available drinking water) are needed before a dehydrated T flips. But if I truly felt a T's moult might progress better with ICU then I would provide such conditions in-situ (adding humidity to enclosure).
Otherwise, I would never handle a moulting T unless (which wasn't quoted) all hope for a normal moult was lost.
I consider the "don't handle a flipped/moulting T" critical -- especially for newbies.

I am sort of surprised anyone would disagree with the advice to not handle a moulting T unless all hope is lost for a successful moult without owner assistance.
I am also surprised ICUs are still being promoted (since you say you disagree on both my comments).

This may have to be an agree to disagree discussion. (shrug)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I had my first G. pulchra for 9 years. After having him for 5 years I moved to a very dry apartment. One day he flipped to moult but stayed flipped for almost two and a half full days without any moulting progress. I popped him in an ICU and twelve hours later he moulted successfully. So ICUs do save tarantulas with moulting problems.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I had my first G. pulchra for 9 years. After having him for 5 years I moved to a very dry apartment. One day he flipped to moult but stayed flipped for almost two and a half full days without any moulting progress. I popped him in an ICU and twelve hours later he moulted successfully. So ICUs do save tarantulas with moulting problems.
And if the issue was moisture -- the same "ICU" could be set up without moving the T -- simply provide the moist conditions in its enclosure where the T already is.

And again -- ICUs would only be beneficial if lack of needed moisture/dehydrated T was the issue with the moult. Moults can go wrong for other reasons. ICUs are often presented as a cure-all no matter the diagnosis.

I think this thread will set a bad precedent re: ICUs and moving flipped Ts. I remember the time when we had threads nearly weekly of newbies disturbing flipped Ts... and they all died.

boina

Lady of the mites
Actually I agreed with intervening when all hope for a possible moult was lost.
I still believe OP was correctly criticized for moving/handling the T to move it to ICU; and I think that moving the T to an ICU was a bad call.
Generally if a T requires "ICU" then it's probably too late -- correct husbandry (like providing proper humidity & having available drinking water) are needed before a dehydrated T flips. But if I truly felt a T's moult might progress better with ICU then I would provide such conditions in-situ (adding humidity to enclosure).
Otherwise, I would never handle a moulting T unless (which wasn't quoted) all hope for a normal moult was lost.
I consider the "don't handle a flipped/moulting T" critical -- especially for newbies.

I am sort of surprised anyone would disagree with the advice to not handle a moulting T unless all hope is lost for a successful moult without owner assistance.
I am also surprised ICUs are still being promoted (since you say you disagree on both my comments).

This may have to be an agree to disagree discussion. (shrug)
I'm sorry, but you must have misunderstood me. I only disagreed with the exact things I quoted, nothing else.

The both things I disagree with, and the both things I quoted, were:
1. Don't handle a molting tarantula and
2. Helping is not generally successful in a bad molt.

I didn't cite anything else. If you only meant them in a very strict context, as in: Don't move a molting tarantula to an ICU, then I agree. I never said a word about promoting ICUs, were did you read that?

The problem is, there have been thread after thread after thread where a tarantula was stuck in a molt and because of this "do not touch" advice people just left their tarantula until it was much to late. I don't only intervene when all hope is lost - that's too late. I intervene when the molt doesn't progress as it should, and with slings that means as little as an hour after the molt has stopped progressing.