Please read: Yosemite "Tarantula Awareness" Festival

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Cali peeps... what's the deal with this?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2009/10/18/TR6Q1A3A6R.DTL

http://www.coarsegoldhistoricvillage.com/Tartantula.html

My Aunt sent me this thinking I would be interested, but I'm just confused/angry. Do they really subject T's to racing through dryer tubes? :embarrassed: Wt<edit>?:evil:

Has anyone been to this and can comment? I couldn't find more information beyond what was posted, and I was considering calling them to find out more.

Am I overreacting?

Last edited by a moderator:

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek: I hope they won't really be using real T's for their st*pid races :mad:

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It actually sounds like a good idea....in theory. I'm not to sure about these "tarantula races" though....

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It actually sounds like a good idea....in theory. I'm not to sure about these "tarantula races" though....
That's the point... I'm all for tarantula awareness, but not if it involves this kind of treatment, if, in fact, it's what I'm thinking it is. This needs to be stopped.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's the point... I'm all for tarantula awareness, but not if it involves this kind of treatment, if, in fact, it's what I'm thinking it is. This needs to be stopped.
Yeah, good luck with that.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think they just put the T in one end and the first one to come out the other is the winner. it doesn't really seem all that more stressful than handling IMO.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think they just put the T in one end and the first one to come out the other is the winner. it doesn't really seem all that more stressful than handling IMO.
Ok, I just couldn't really figure out what was meant by 'dryer tube' racing. I was picturing them in like a hamster wheel/thing.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think its a great idea as it seems to be a festival promoting tarantula awareness. I don't think these races are any different than, say, a roach race or a frog-hopping contest.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok then, I'm more relieved to hear this. And yeah, I really want that sign too!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
what kind of treatment??Racing tarantulas isn't going to kill them!

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Perhaps I was overreacting. I just remember a thread where someone was talking about putting her T in one of those hamster wheel things and letting it run around her house 'for fun', and I couldn't quite figure out what they meant by a dryer tube, and my mind jumped to the rotating wheel in a dryer. I'm glad to hear that this isn't what sounds like is happening... (though I really don't think this was too crazy an assumption on my part:eek:). Just looking out for our T's!

*slips quietly back into the background...*

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it is stupid really... I refrain from even handling mine unless I'm cleaning their enclosures. They are not subject to things like this in the wild and I think it is best to provide them a life close to what they would have in wild. If you want to promote T awareness than set up displays in event like this and educate people about them rather than racing them. People wouldn't be so affraid of tarantulas if they understood them a little more.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh sure, California doesn't have nearby expos and cons like in Canada and other parts of the world SELLING tarantulas, but they have races? :mad:

They're probably gonna have to prod the tarantulas along, though. Most tarantulas go in short spurts..