Please ID This Colombian Millipede

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to identify this millipede. It is quite common on my property in Colombia. It was also featured in a Colombian thriller that reached the US video rentals called "Dog Eat Dog" (Perro Come Perro by director Carlos Moreno).

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Other than being something from family Polydesmidae I couldn't say. Great photo. We have similar but presumably smaller millipedes here. Very difficult to keep in captivity, in general. If you make any observations about their diet, etc., I know a few of us here would love to hear about it.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
The pede looks fairly large compared to the grass blades. What size do they usually attain, Pitter?

SDCPs

Arachnolord
The biggest ones I've seen are about 12 cm.
Woa! That's large :D

I bet its Polydesmidae sp. 1 :p, no seriously! I have a millipede book by Shura' Sigling and apparently the species name is unknown. I'll give you some info:

Optimum keeping temperature seems to be 22-25 C, these critters specialize in consumption of rotting wood and decaying leaves.

Here is a link to a Youtube video giving the rest of us some scale reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv6HgK6CqlE

Last edited:

Pitter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't seen what they eat but rotting wood and decaying leaves seems likely. The typical temperature range where I find them is 11 C (morning) to 22 C (afternoon). I can't seem to come up with anything on species native to Colombia per se.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
If I remember correctly this species is thought of as being native to Peru...which you are right next to. Maybe searching for species native to Peru will give you better results ;)