Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I use one... I keep it far enough away to moderate it's effect. It's gets cold sometimes, and I don't want them to fall below 75 degrees. And all my lights are programmed to turn off with the sunset.
I'm also curious why you don't want it to fall below that temp, especially if it means using a heat lamp to achieve it. They can certainly handle temps lower than that. In the winter months before I got a space heater or when the power has gone out, my Ts have had to deal with temps in the low 60s even. Sure, it's not ideal, but they can certainly handle it for short periods.

Or if you insist on keeping the temperature at the 75 mark (which ultimately is fine, just a bit confusing), why not opt for a safer option like a space heater?

Jdhdbxbsjs

Arachnopeon
I'm also curious why you don't want it to fall below that temp, especially if it means using a heat lamp to achieve it. They can certainly handle temps lower than that. In the winter months before I got a space heater or when the power has gone out, my Ts have had to deal with temps in the low 60s even. Sure, it's not ideal, but they can certainly handle it for short periods.

Or if you insist on keeping the temperature at the 75 mark (which ultimately is fine, just a bit confusing), why not opt for a safer option like a space heater?
Because the people at the pet store told me heat lamp is the way to go and to have it on 24/7

cold blood

Staff member
Because the people at the pet store told me heat lamp is the way to go and to have it on 24/7
Never ever listen to pet stores....they sell you stuff just to make profit and get their care info from care sheets.....also, avoid care sheets...lol.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the person I quoted.

I wasn't going to comment on your posts because you got most of the information needed already. You were the victim of bad information. Avics are notorious for having some of the most outdated information available on them when it comes to husbandry, and therefore they are not good for beginners without doing research first. That said, looking at how animals are cared for in pet stores, it's best not to follow their advice, especially from "generalized" pet stores that just carry a bit of everything. I feel like going to a pet store for information shouldn't suffice for any pet.

I'm sorry for the loss of life, but I also think you should take this as a learning experience. This website has some of the best care info you can find on all different species of tarantulas, and there's always people on here willing to help as long as you are receptive to the information. I love Avics and I do recommend trying with them again after you get the proper husbandry figured out, but it is important you figure out the husbandry first. They're super easy to care for and make fine beginner species, but they can't handle mistakes like other species can. The best move would be to do the research on here, and get approval of a setup before even buying the spider.

Again, sorry for your loss. It's a sucky situation, but you should at least learn from it.

Jdhdbxbsjs

Arachnopeon
My comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the person I quoted.

I wasn't going to comment on your posts because you got most of the information needed already. You were the victim of bad information. Avics are notorious for having some of the most outdated information available on them when it comes to husbandry, and therefore they are not good for beginners without doing research first. That said, looking at how animals are cared for in pet stores, it's best not to follow their advice, especially from "generalized" pet stores that just carry a bit of everything. I feel like going to a pet store for information shouldn't suffice for any pet.

I'm sorry for the loss of life, but I also think you should take this as a learning experience. This website has some of the best care info you can find on all different species of tarantulas, and there's always people on here willing to help as long as you are receptive to the information. I love Avics and I do recommend trying with them again after you get the proper husbandry figured out, but it is important you figure out the husbandry first. They're super easy to care for and make fine beginner species, but they can't handle mistakes like other species can. The best move would be to do the research on here, and get approval of a setup before even buying the spider.

Again, sorry for your loss. It's a sucky situation, but you should at least learn from it.
Look what do you think of this

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Look what do you think of this
For an Avic? Not appropriate. You want to aim for something taller, with a vertical hide near the top, and with lots of fake plants near the top for clutter. This is the set up for my C. versicolor, which is a similar species with the same set up requirements.
20180717_151412.jpg

20180717_151207.jpg
She ended up making a web tube along the entire back of the cork bark and has made a proper home for herself.

Your set up is more suitable for a terrestrial species, but it would still depend on the species. Additionally, you'd want to break that pot so that it's open in the back. This allows the tarantula to burrow if it wants. This is my L. parahybana female, not an Avic.
20190512_221943.jpg

20190512_221920.jpg
My enclosure isn't totally ideal, because she didn't have much digging space before reaching the wall, but I honestly wasn't expecting her to dig at all.

DixonCyder

Arachnosquire

It does drop below it. I do use a space heater from time to time. The light really just works with my setup, cleanly. And the space heater does cost more electricity.
The light and the heating is all set up on schedule. So at night it will fall to high 60's.
It gets real cold here, seasonally. And I seasonally need to give them more heat.
I want trying to argue for a heat lamp... I was only saying that it can be done.
Mine isn't in the picture but it doesn't go on top of the enclosures, there are two, and a strip that are above on the top shelf.
It's even programmed to simulate a storm on the days and time I water them.
I have one heat pad, not hooked up. When I get the other, I'm going to try to just use them.
The avicularia avicularia seems to like things as it is, but she's new, and from a bad setup. So I'm still observing.

Why are you worried about them dropping below 75?
day and night flux. System is automated. And it gets cold at night. 75 day, means I get about 65 at night.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Maybe just stick with something like a Grammostola, Brachypelma, or Aphonopelma? They are all hardy species that are a little more “forgiving” of new keeper mistakes.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Moderator note: I am closing this thread, because it has run its course, and at this point, we are just repeating ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.