Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdhdbxbsjs

Arachnopeon
Help I got a pink toe T and I don’t know why it is sitting in its cage doing nothing so I thought my heat lamp was to hot so I turned it off any tips

Killertut

Arachnosquire
pictures of the enclosure and T please.
get rid of the heat lamp entirely, T's don't need them and a heat lamp can cook them.

Get yourself a thermometer/hygrometer combo for a few bucks. Ditch the lamp and get a small heat mat (also inexpensive), if needed at all.
Do you have any pics of your setup?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If you are comfortable the Tarantula is comfortable. Heat lamps are not needed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, what do you expect it to be doing? Ts are very sedate creatures.

If it is sitting on the substrate not moving, you probably cooked it.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
No tarantula should be exposed to heat mats or lamps. It desiccates them and kills them. It galls me to the core that LPS employees recommend these things to people buying a tarantula for the first time. "Pinktoes" are especially sensitive. I'm afraid yours might already be dead. They almost never sit on the substrate. Mine only ever comes down to hunt. I'm really sorry about your situation, man. I hope you can get another T with the right setup.

I wasn't very clear with what I said...
I didn't mean to place any kind of heating in the enclosure. I live in a colder climate and I maintain an acceptable temperature for my inverts by placing their enclosures in a larger tank which has a heat mat along the side. If I didn't then my inverts would be frequently way too cold (it's in an unheated room seperate from the main house).

I neglected to see that OP is in Texas so obviously additional heating is a bad idea.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It’s dead I poked it and it wasn’t moving
Okay...

What is it you want us to do, exactly?

And why make a new thread instead of adding to the other one you made? A mod is probably going to merge them.

Jdhdbxbsjs

Arachnopeon
Well if you show us photos of the spider and enclosure we can probably tell you why it died.
It was the heat lamp no doubt I only had the light there because the people at the pet store told me that’s what I need to do

Do you think they would give me a refund

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Which is why you shouldn't buy animals from pet stores.

If you decide to get another T, do all your research on here first.

Jdhdbxbsjs

Arachnopeon
Which is why you shouldn't buy animals from pet stores.

If you decide to get another T, do all your research on here first.
Ok that’s fair but do you think I can get a refund if I explain to them what happens

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok that’s fair but do you think I can get a refund if I explain to them what happens
That depends on if they offer any sort of guarantee on live animals... Most places don't. You'd have to talk to them. Sounds to me like you're more concerned about money than the part where you killed an animal... so I really don't know how to help you, sorry.

Jdhdbxbsjs

Arachnopeon
That depends on if they offer any sort of guarantee on live animals... Most places don't. You'd have to talk to them. Sounds to me like you're more concerned about money than the part where you killed an animal... so I really don't know how to help you, sorry.
No it’s just I want a T but the one I bot was like 50$ and I can’t just go to any old place and throw that money away because if I can get it back I’ll go buy a new T and do my research

Status
Not open for further replies.