Please help..

Mythic

Arachnopeon
Okay so I have 2 Poecilotheria Ornata slings that I purchased just before the ban. They both seem to be doing great. One molted a few weeks ago and it appears the other is in premolt currently. However my concern is with the one that molted. To my knowledge, pokies can be picky eaters (as far as I've heard anyway) but this one is refusing food 3 weeks after molt and just walks away from anything I have tried feeding it. It webs up behind itself and walks away, no questions asked. I havent even gotten a threat posture out of either one of them since Ive owned them. Can someone tell me what might be going on and if I need to worry. Thanks.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Just make sure it has access to some water, that the enclosure has ventilation and that the prey you’re offering is an appropriate size. Keep trying, it’ll eat when it’s ready.

Mythic

Arachnopeon
Just make sure it has access to some water, that the enclosure has ventilation and that the prey you’re offering is an appropriate size. Keep trying, it’ll eat when it’s ready.
Excellent, it has a water dish and i mist the enclosure once a week and it has plenty of ventilation. I could try smaller crickets and see if they do the trick, thought the ones I was using were fine as the other one which is the same size ate but they all have different attitudes. Thanks!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
mist the enclosure once a week
Misting the enclosure isn't as effective as pouring water directly into the substrate. If you mist then only the top layer gets moistened and it dries out fairly quickly. The only real reason you may need to mist is to provide an opportunity to drink, but you already gave it a water dish so you're already covered.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Yea it’ll eat when it’s ready. At the end of the day the t knows. You could also just leave the dead prey in there and see if it scavenges

boina

Lady of the mites
1. Stop misting. They don't need humidity. In fact, high humidity can make them sick. Do you have really good ventilation and moist - not wet! - substrate? That's all that's needed.

2. Use larger prey, not smaller. Especially Pokies may reject prey if it's too small.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Okay so I have 2 Poecilotheria Ornata slings that I purchased just before the ban. They both seem to be doing great. One molted a few weeks ago and it appears the other is in premolt currently. However my concern is with the one that molted. To my knowledge, pokies can be picky eaters (as far as I've heard anyway) but this one is refusing food 3 weeks after molt and just walks away from anything I have tried feeding it. It webs up behind itself and walks away, no questions asked. I havent even gotten a threat posture out of either one of them since Ive owned them. Can someone tell me what might be going on and if I need to worry. Thanks.
Banning Pokies???
Pic of your setup would be good for all of us to see how they are... could be several things, or could be it is not hungry. But pics will help assess.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Wait did I miss something, are they banning pokies now?
all sri lankan Poecilotheria are illegal to ship across state lines. kinda big news if you live in the states and keep the genus.

ornata, subfusca, vitatta, fasciata, and smithi.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
Have you tried leaving pre-killed prey overnight? Temperaments change, and especially can after a molt. Your T also might not be hungry yet.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/fi...ies-endangered-status-and-limitations.309924/
Wow that’s just crazy that they’d ban the CB within the hobby... understandable to ban imports exports out of India. For hobbyists that have gravid females could potentially raise those numbers for the wild... but yea go govt for super critical thinking...
In Britain earlier this year in Derbyshire?
Some careless keeper or keeper that didn’t want his T’s anymore just left them outside, a woman hit several of the enclosures/pots is what they called them and released several Big Birdeating spiders is what they called them. Local gardeners/farmers and regular locals freaked out worried about their pets.... SH$t like this that makes me angry, people that post pics on social media with T’s on their face boils my blood, just making it difficult for everyone... here in Germany in the Bundesland as well as the Stadt I am in, I can’t find anything on the laws of any of the species I own or not, I want to do things the right way and get a permit if need be @boina do you know? Asking because you are in Germany as well...

boina

Lady of the mites
Wow that’s just crazy that they’d ban the CB within the hobby... understandable to ban imports exports out of India. For hobbyists that have gravid females could potentially raise those numbers for the wild... but yea go govt for super critical thinking...
In Britain earlier this year in Derbyshire?
Some careless keeper or keeper that didn’t want his T’s anymore just left them outside, a woman hit several of the enclosures/pots is what they called them and released several Big Birdeating spiders is what they called them. Local gardeners/farmers and regular locals freaked out worried about their pets.... SH$t like this that makes me angry, people that post pics on social media with T’s on their face boils my blood, just making it difficult for everyone... here in Germany in the Bundesland as well as the Stadt I am in, I can’t find anything on the laws of any of the species I own or not, I want to do things the right way and get a permit if need be @boina do you know? Asking because you are in Germany as well...
There are no general German laws, they depend on the Bundesland (=state) you are in. Several states ban selected species. Hessen bans Pterinochilus and Stromatopelma - but not the other Africans. In Bavaria it is Poecilotheria and Selenocosmia. Don't ask me about the reasoning for that idiocy. In Niedersachsen you need a permit for all tarantulas, regardless of species. In Schleswig-Holstein (where I live) and Meck-Pomm you can keep whatever you want, thank god... and so on. It's a mess.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
There are no general German laws, they depend on the Bundesland (=state) you are in. Several states ban selected species. Hessen bans Pterinochilus and Stromatopelma - but not the other Africans. In Bavaria it is Poecilotheria and Selenocosmia. Don't ask me about the reasoning for that idiocy. In Niedersachsen you need a permit for all tarantulas, regardless of species. In Schleswig-Holstein (where I live) and Meck-Pomm you can keep whatever you want, thank god... and so on. It's a mess.
Yea I’m aware it goes by Bundesland and Stadt i said that I believe.
Yea I can’t find anything about anything.
Just worried about the near future of our hobby of buying/selling.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There are regulations pertaining to releasing captive bred animals back into the wild, and the government decided that hobbyists aren't doing a good job keeping species pure (too many hybrids) and aren't responsible enough with their keeping (escapees, abandoned specimens, etc) to have programs for releasing back into the wild.

8LeggedLair

Arachnoknight
There are regulations pertaining to releasing captive bred animals back into the wild, and the government decided that hobbyists aren't doing a good job keeping species pure (too many hybrids) and aren't responsible enough with their keeping (escapees, abandoned specimens, etc) to have programs for releasing back into the wild.
Yea cause we’re all just completely misinformed morons lol
Most of us here in this board knows more than these so called “Professionals”
But yea leave it to the suits to “protect the animals when it’s really eradication”

Mythic

Arachnopeon
1. Stop misting. They don't need humidity. In fact, high humidity can make them sick. Do you have really good ventilation and moist - not wet! - substrate? That's all that's needed.

2. Use larger prey, not smaller. Especially Pokies may reject prey if it's too small.
Really? I didnt know humidity could make them sick! Thats very good to know, the ventilation I have in both enclosures seems to be pretty good, I usually do a light misting and mist the lid and the water evaporates fairly quickly, usually by the next day. Also I do go for larger prey generally so its good that I was doing that, maybe I could try a bit larger. Thanks for that information though!

Mythic

Arachnopeon
Banning Pokies???
Pic of your setup would be good for all of us to see how they are... could be several things, or could be it is not hungry. But pics will help assess.
Yeah I can definitely take a picture, my friend has a pretty similar setup for his. We bought 5 together to make sure we had a better chance for a breeding pair. Whats making me worry as well is his seem to be more aggressive than mine and have molted a few times now, mine have only molted once... And concerning the ban, its not on all pokies, just a few that are endangered in the wild or something like that. idk i feel like the bans are stupid personally lol. Let me take a picture

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Really? I didnt know humidity could make them sick! Thats very good to know, the ventilation I have in both enclosures seems to be pretty good, I usually do a light misting and mist the lid and the water evaporates fairly quickly, usually by the next day. Also I do go for larger prey generally so its good that I was doing that, maybe I could try a bit larger. Thanks for that information though!
Misting is only really good for giving them a chance to drink from their droplets on the web or enclosure. It’ll only cause problems if there’s not enough ventilation which you’ve got plenty of

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
I think it was possible mentioned but I have just had a similar experience with a c versicolor.
While it was blue and around 1-2 1/2” it would eat anything. Any size of meal, no problem.
Now that it’s moulted it’s plenty big enough for a large cricket and the thing will only eat tiny mealworms it’s embarrassing, but at least it’s eating.

I’d a really small food item.