Please help

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
1. Tarantulas use their venom to liquify their prey. I feed mine dubia roaches which are super fat and juicy. It's not uncommon for my Ts to be eating 8+ hours later. Mouth Link
2. I'd put them in a container with egg crate and carrots or some other food that doesn't stink. Don't use cucumbers.
3. I have 400+ dubia roaches and 10 tarantulas. Unfortunately you either make lots of trips to the store for three crickets at a time or get a bunch and keep 'em at home. :sorry:

That's exactly the same principle behind the hot water bottles. My grandma always used rice socks. Turns out water is actually better at holding heat than most things; especially those found around the house. :)
Id like to keep and breed them but its difficult to get eggcrates any other ideas? Picture or videos would really help :)

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I've read that most cardboards will work - drink holders from fast food joints, toilet paper and paper towel rolls...that sort of thing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Id like to keep and breed them but its difficult to get eggcrates any other ideas? Picture or videos would really help :)
I use cardboard boxes (thinner ones from packaged foods), paper towel rolls, etc. (Dubias don't seem to be picky.) I replace the cardboard about once a week for sanitation and odor control.

salticid

Arachnopeon
If you only have one tarantula, breeding crickets is gonna give you a lot more crickets than you really need. It's your decision and you'll get a better sense of what works for you over time, but if I were you I would switch to dubia roaches or superworms since they live longer, won't reproduce, and are a little easier to care for.

Also I would recommend reading Stan Schultz's page about chilean roses:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
He goes over a lot of the temp & humidity stuff and it's a pretty good source of info about tarantula care in general.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
If you only have one tarantula, breeding crickets is gonna give you a lot more crickets than you really need. It's your decision and you'll get a better sense of what works for you over time, but if I were you I would switch to dubia roaches or superworms since they live longer, won't reproduce, and are a little easier to care for.

Also I would recommend reading Stan Schultz's page about chilean roses:
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
He goes over a lot of the temp & humidity stuff and it's a pretty good source of info about tarantula care in general.
I have only one tarantula shes a beautiful grammostola rosea pretty smallish tbf when shes out and about i will deffo get a picture of her as some people doubt if she really is a g rosea (not sure why) but im planning on getting a beardy near christmas as ive wanted one since i was a kid and the nearest petshop for crickets is miles away so id rather breed and not only that the crickets fight even tho theres like 5 rolls plenty of food and space but still they fight and i see legs and heads everywhere but never seem to see a body anywhere lol so any advice about how to stop them from fighting or eating each other?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have only one tarantula shes a beautiful grammostola rosea pretty smallish tbf when shes out and about i will deffo get a picture of her as some people doubt if she really is a g rosea (not sure why) but im planning on getting a beardy near christmas as ive wanted one since i was a kid and the nearest petshop for crickets is miles away so id rather breed and not only that the crickets fight even tho theres like 5 rolls plenty of food and space but still they fight and i see legs and heads everywhere but never seem to see a body anywhere lol so any advice about how to stop them from fighting or eating each other?
Your crickets need more space because in small enclosures they will fight and lise their limbs and die off quickly so keep them in a bigger tub and feed them enough why do people think your rosea is not a rosea got any pictures also interpunction can help a lot in getting your point across since reading your post made me feel out of breath just by reading it.
:D

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Your crickets need more space because in small enclosures they will fight and lise their limbs and die off quickly so keep them in a bigger tub and feed them enough why do people think your rosea is not a rosea got any pictures also interpunction can help a lot in getting your point across since reading your post made me feel out of breath just by reading it.
:D
i will deffo get a bigger box for the crickets and idk on a previous post several people said. "show a picture so we can see if its even a g.rosea" and will deffo show a picture, when shes not behind her hide (shes like hanging of the side) and i thought i used more punctuation then i did i guess its cause i was writting and then cleared most of other questions and the quotations which can be full stop or comma, come on in not good at punctuation :( haha

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas do not thermoregulate; meaning they don't move towards a heat source when they are cold, and away from a heat source when they are hot. This is why we don't use them in the tarantula hobby very often. Technically, you could use a thermostat with the heatpad, and that would work. But if something malfunctions or you make a mistake it could be fatal for your tarantula.

If it's getting super cold, then turn your house thermostat up, or get an electric heater that turns off at a certain temperature. If you do get an electric heater, be sure to never leave it on unattended. I recall reading somewhere that roughly 30% of all house fires are started by electric heaters. YIKES!

Last edited:

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas do not thermoregulate; meaning they don't move towards a heat source when they are cold, and away from a heat source when they are hot. This is why we don't use them in the tarantula hobby very often. Technically, you could use a thermostat with the heatpad, and that would work. But if something malfunctions or you make a mistake it could be fatal for your tarantula.

If it's getting super cold, then turn your house thermostat up, or get an electric heater that turns off at a certain temperature. If you do get an electric heater, be sure to never leave it on unattended. I recall reading somewhere that roughly 30% of all house fires are started by electric heaters. YIKES!
So why does she go on the side of the glass when i have the electric heater on and only then? Does that mean she gets too warm? And i dont wanna use a heat mat or anything like that as on a different thread someone said that too much heat is worse then not enough and plus i dont really trust it enough to not go wrong so why does she go on the side? And is condensation good? Or bad? If its only on the front glass (its not on the sides at all)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So why does she go on the side of the glass when i have the electric heater on and only then? Does that mean she gets too warm? And i dont wanna use a heat mat or anything like that as on a different thread someone said that too much heat is worse then not enough and plus i dont really trust it enough to not go wrong so why does she go on the side? And is condensation good? Or bad? If its only on the front glass (its not on the sides at all)
They are drawn to heat. What @Zymotic means is that a spider will not move away from a source of heat when it is getting too warm. Which is true, so it is up to us as keepers to provide a safe source of warmth.

Condensation can occur when using a heatpad/cable on for example the back of an enclosure. When the surrounding temps drop but the enclosure itself is warm, condens can form.
This is rare though, so i would check your ventilation and make sure the substrate isn't too wet.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
They are drawn to heat. What @Zymotic means is that a spider will not move away from a source of heat when it is getting too warm. Which is true, so it is up to us as keepers to provide a safe source of warmth.

Condensation can occur when using a heatpad/cable on for example the back of an enclosure. When the surrounding temps drop but the enclosure itself is warm, condens can form.
This is rare though, so i would check your ventilation and make sure the substrate isn't too wet.
So she goes on the side of the tank when i have the electric fire on because she likes the heat?

The substrate is bone dry the condensation is from the cold water i think :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So she goes on the side of the tank when i have the electric fire on because she likes the heat?

The substrate is bone dry the condensation is from the cold water i think :)
Yes, she'll be sitting on that side for the warmth.

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Yes, she likes it. But too much heat will kill her, even though she likes it.
Ive started turning the heat down just abit and theres no condensation when the heatings on its only of a night when it gets abit cold that it then forms because the inside is still warm how do i dry the substrate? Or do i just change it? As i do have coco fibre and could clean her enclosure out will post a picture tommorrow :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I thought the substrate was dry already as you mentioned in an earlier post?

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
Just let it dry out. Maybe provide a dry place in the meantime by adding a dry piece of bark for her to sit on.
Ive just replaced the subsrate i dont think the previous owner looked after rosie very well shes fine now nice and clean coco fibre at the bottom and clean water shes slowly but surely exploring it and i will leave her a week or 2 before feeding her i think she maybe in pre-molt as she has a bald spot on her back and she has already started laying webs on the floor (never seen her do it accept her happy dance when she eats) the old substrate had mould and had tiny flies in it and i had good feel of substrate and it was dry like bread clearly she didnt know what she was doing with her but yeah she seems happy now