Please Help with my Slings!

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
I've had my three slings for close to four weeks. None have molted. I've been offering them each one cricket every other night. If they don't eat them I remove them the next night. I'm worried about them being in premolt and offering a cricket. If they don't eat one time and then the next time, should I stop offering food for a while?

Also, My A. avic sling is 3/4 inch and living in a kitchen shaker from Wal-Mart (clear plastic with handle, white lid). I'm wondering if other people have used these with avics, and if so, did you do anything to increase the ventilation? My avic has built itself a tube web, only it built it on the ground like a little tent between the substrate and the bamboo sticks I gave it to climb on. When I see it it looks okay, but I guess this type of tent is strange for an avic. The temps are between 80-84 F and I mist a little every day, so I'm wondering about the ventilation.

Thanks for the help!

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How big are the 3 s'lings and how were they fed before you got them??? Try mashing the cricks and see if they will take it. It's probably just the stress of a new home and pending molts... species related maybe :confused:

Your avic sounds happy.... if it webbed up and is eating.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about your small s'lings. Just continue to offer them food and remove it if it goes uneaten. If you are concerned about the cricket being in there with them if they should start to molt, simply prekill the cricket before you throw it in with them. They will eat dead prey without any problems. I have a few s'lings that have eaten in over a month. It is amazing how long these little buggers can go without eating. There is nothing to worry about.

As far as you avic's are concerned, if you want to increase ventilation in their enclosures, simply drill small small holes just above the substrate. This will allow better airflow through the container. I use a 1/16" bit for my holes. Also, if it looks very wet in there, try misting every other day or every third day.

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use those same exact shakers,those a great for slings.I have had avics in them with no problems(no added ventillation).They outgrew them and are in larger containers now.Maybe the dealer sent the Ts to you right after they molted.All my slings molt once every month alot of times exactly to the day.
If its been close to 4 weeks then I say prepare to be amazed by the astonishing miracles of nature.
The plastic in those shakers holds the water droplets very well.I just use 3/8"(for aboreals) or so peat moss on the bottom and never spray the substrate directly.Just sprits the inside of the shakers and keep the substrate on the dry side.

Last edited:

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If u are worried about the ventilation on ur avics. here is a link to a great enclosure for them. They were made by monantony.
http://www.arachnopics.com/showphot...01303719f5ff2b009df11e7&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
Here is a thread with some avic enclosure info. the link to the above pic is in this thread:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40469&highlight=machinist

I dont think u should offer food everyday. If they dont take the prekilled prey then wait 4-7 days before offering another. The opening and closing of the enclosure is way too stressfull. Be sure they have access to water at all times before and after the molt!! Good Luck!

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I almost bought that same shaker for a P. irmina I just bought. I would say the ventilation is good; there seem to be plenty of holes in them. Drilling toward the substrate is a good idea though. As far as the "tent web", sounds like that was the easiest place for it to construct a hide. I imagine you have the bamboo leaning against one side of the jar, leaving a triangular opening underneath. Based on my experience with avics, seems like the the most likely place for it to make a web. They prefer to use the structures in their enclosures than just the sides of the jar.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MountinGal said:
If they don't eat one time and then the next time, should I stop offering food for a while?

......Yes.

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately as a new sling owner (these being my first ever), I overmisted my avic enclosure and ended up needing to change the substrate. Since I was already going to be removing the sling from its home. I moved it to a deli cup with holes all over the lid, a row around the sides at the top of the cup, and a row around the top of the substrate. I feel better now about the ventilation and there was also room to put a 20 oz pop bottle cap in there as a water dish.

I won't make THAT mistake again.

The A. avic is close to one inch and looks healthy to me, so keep the advice coming and I'll try to stop worrying so much.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MountinGal said:
Unfortunately as a new sling owner (these being my first ever), I overmisted my avic enclosure and ended up needing to change the substrate. Since I was already going to be removing the sling from its home. I moved it to a deli cup with holes all over the lid, a row around the sides at the top of the cup, and a row around the top of the substrate. I feel better now about the ventilation and there was also room to put a 20 oz pop bottle cap in there as a water dish.

I won't make THAT mistake again.

The A. avic is close to one inch and looks healthy to me, so keep the advice coming and I'll try to stop worrying so much.
u might want to put a marble or 2 in the bottle lid aswell as water. I am paranoid about the book lungs.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know how you feel! When I got my first slings, I couldn't believe how small they were! I was sure I was gonna kill em (with kindness, of course-lol) I stressed over them all the time, esp. the smallest, as she never seemed to eat! I always fed pre-killed, just for my own sanity. She still doesn't eat alot- for example: 1/24/05-molt, 2/09/05 she stopped eating again! So she didn't even eat for 3 whole weeks. She's in her burrow, totally closed up, and I'm really fighting the urge to dig her up! So now I'll throw a cricket in once a week, and see what happens! Anyway, my point is, don't (try not to, anyway!) stress over them- they will be okay!