Please help, urgent!

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
So I just unboxed 3 small (4-5cm) Psalmopoeus cambridgei and it wasn't pleasant. 2 of them weren't moving at all, in death curls. I took both of them for dead. Last one was alive but not really energetic, it was barely moving.

But to the point - I found out it still might be possible to save at least one of them. After I placed them on their backs, I found out legs are somewhat twitching just a little bit. I put just a little bit of water in mouths of both of them and one seems to be opening its legs a bit however still twitching.
How do I take care of it? Should I move them to ICU? or just leave them be on desk or just place them in small boxes with a bit of moist substrate?

I'm sorry for my mistakes as I'm making the thread without thinking too much in hurry.

Attachments

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
@Vanisher Yeah, I thought they were dead on the spot. But legs still seem to be twitching just a bit... and one moved helicerae after i gave it water so I'm really hoping for a miracle. Do you have any recommendations what to do? it's the first time it happens to me. I feel super confused at the moment while trying to help them

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just give water on the mouthpart. I am unsure what to do beyond that! I have been very fortunate with my spiders. Someone else more experienced in those kind of stuff will give you advise, i'm sure!

Good luck!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Put them in a container on their backs, dry paper towel down (or very slightly dampened -- not a real ICU with soaking paper, just something you can use to monitor them), and keep administering water to the mouths a few drops at a time. If any are able to flip over onto their feet, move them into the planned enclosure, but leave them on/very near a water dish. Leave them in a warm dark place.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Just give water on the mouthpart. I am unsure what to do beyond that! I have been very fortunate with my spiders. Someone else more experienced in those kind of stuff will give you advise, i'm sure!

Good luck!
Thank you very much! This is the very first time I'm buying Ts not from normal shop and this happens... Feels like a lesson.

Put them in a container on their backs, dry paper towel down (or very slightly dampened -- not a real ICU with soaking paper, just something you can use to monitor them), and keep administering water to the mouths a few drops at a time. If any are able to flip over onto their feet, move them into the planned enclosure, but leave them on/very near a water dish. Leave them in a warm dark place.
Will do! One of them seems to be completely gone but for the second one... hopefully it survives!

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Awful! Sorry to see this. Make sure you contact seller immediately if you haven’t already!

I hope you can get one of them to pull through. Keep us updated

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
@docwade87 I contacted seller immediately. He'll take responsibility for both, so we're giving them a bit more time to actually recover.

And as a small update, one seems to be actually more responsive to light and movement already, however all it can do is move those legs a bit (much more than in the beginning) so I'm not abandoning my hopes.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
@docwade87 I contacted seller immediately. He'll take responsibility for both, so we're giving them a bit more time to actually recover.

And as a small update, one seems to be actually more responsive to light and movement already, however all it can do is move those legs a bit (much more than in the beginning) so I'm not abandoning my hopes.
Sounds like classic dehydration keep them moist and humid somwhere use a small water dish or saturated ball of cotton wall sounds like ones pulling through

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
One that came in the best condition managed to actually make a bit of web in the enclosure so that seems promising. And there's still hope for second one in that fake "ICU". It's been 30 hours since I unboxed them and it's still alive. I did check it's responsiveness and well, it wasn't super bad, on one side it had legs curled and another were rather straight as it wanted to try to actually flip aound. I might be pushing my luck with it, I helped it to stand on it's legs and it's not going back into the curl. Also I would like to ask if there's any merit to actually keeping it on its back?

I'm adding picture of the T after flipping it.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also I would like to ask if there's any merit to actually keeping it on its back?
The only advantage I can think of is if you're trying to make it drink by dripping water onto its mouth. Otherwise, let it be in whatever position it wants.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
@Ungoliant Makes sense. Instead of dripping water, I've decided to place a water dish in there, it knows where water is in case it wants it. I've noticed it's capable of moving a little bit so there's improvement.
About second T... well, it gave me a surprise and just molted. It really didn't look like it was going to and seller hasn't told me anything. Hopefully everything is all right!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant Makes sense. Instead of dripping water, I've decided to place a water dish in there, it knows where water is in case it wants it. I've noticed it's capable of moving a little bit so there's improvement.
Yeah, the recommendation about flipping them over to drip water onto their mouths only applies to tarantulas that are too weak to drink on their own. The majority of tarantulas should be able to drink from a dish. (It's easiest for them to drink if you make the dish relatively flush with the ground.)

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I've brought a couple Ts back from the bring by giving water with a 1 ml syringe until they can drink from a dish FWIW

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
About second T... well, it gave me a surprise and just molted. It really didn't look like it was going to and seller hasn't told me anything. Hopefully everything is all right!
I was going to say that some of those dearh curla looked more like a T right about to motl, they weren’t or didn’t appear to be curled inward.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
@mantisfan101 It's the other one that actually molted, one in that "ICU" is still there with water dish. If this one were to molt, my guess is it would've already done it.

I'm considering moving it to it's enclosure, give it feeling of safety and see how things go there. I'm not sure if it's actually that weak or just stressed to the point it doesn't want to move.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
Update: Firstly, T is still alive. At some point I've noticed it actually managed to walk a bit to the side of that cup I was keeping it in. Two days ago I've moved it to normal enclosure with cork bark, water dish and some sub so it could feel safer there but I don't really know if that's worked. All it does is just stay in one place on the substrate in that stressed pose, I don't think it tried walking there.
Any recommendations or advices? Should I just leave it alone or move it back to that deli cup I was using as fake icu.

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Update: Firstly, T is still alive. At some point I've noticed it actually managed to walk a bit to the side of that cup I was keeping it in. Two days ago I've moved it to normal enclosure with cork bark, water dish and some sub so it could feel safer there but I don't really know if that's worked. All it does is just stay in one place on the substrate in that stressed pose, I don't think it tried walking there.
Any recommendations or advices? Should I just leave it alone or move it back to that deli cup I was using as fake icu.
Well congrats on the the one that molted keep good eye on that and make sure it has a water bowl full right next to it flush and level with substrate and make sure its wet it will want a drink after a molt and will be possibly dehydrated after using all that energy.2 as regards the second one u rehoused make sure it also has a water bowl flush^level with ground to help it drink an also make sure its substrate is wet (they will drink from floor if need be)and pay close e attention it will prolly drink again &improve more rest is a waiting game mate