please help identify!

fretman08

Arachnosquire
Ok so I recently purchased a T from a LPS. It was labled as a "vietnamese birdeater" but I was wondering if any one can give me the latin name because I can't figure out what it is. there is a picture of it in the picture i.d. but no one has replied yet. Its like the first one. Its labled hap.sp???

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Post the picture here and you'll probably get more responses than having people go hunt for it themselves.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll do it for you... Heres the tarantula he has in the ID gallery. I don't know what it is.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haplopelma, of course........ but don't know which sp either.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Must be nice- my LPS only has overpriced G. roseas.
Same here. Well, now that I think about it, there is an "exotic" pet store in Garden City that has a couple H. lividum, an E. murinus, and a few B. smithi, but not cared for anywhere near the way they should be. The 4" H. lividum I saw there was in an enclosure with about an inch of substrate. I questioned the man behind the counter and he said that if he put the correct amount of substrate in, they would never be seen and therefore would never sell. True, but still not cool in my opinion.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haplopelma longipes maybe? It has a Vietnamese common name but I don't know about it being a birdeater... :?:eek:

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I bought the same one from a LPS. It was labeled "asian birdeater". (felt bad for the poor thing in a TINY container, not even full deli-cup size) Haven't found any definite match on ANY site. H. albostriatum has horizontal bands on the tarsus, patella and femur. The op's and mine don't. Maybe a color variation? Or different kind of T?

Just checked something.. Looks much more like H. minax than H. albostriatum... Anyway to confirm anatomically?

Last edited:

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Must be nice- my LPS only has overpriced G. roseas.
Same here. Well, now that I think about it, there is an "exotic" pet store in Garden City that has a couple H. lividum, an E. murinus, and a few B. smithi, but not cared for anywhere near the way they should be. The 4" H. lividum I saw there was in an enclosure with about an inch of substrate. I questioned the man behind the counter and he said that if he put the correct amount of substrate in, they would never be seen and therefore would never sell. True, but still not cool in my opinion.
hush to both of you, preuss is a quick and fun 2 hour drive, and we carry all kinds of neat stuff! matter of fact we have one of them there female H. albopilosums available for purchase right meow. ;P;P;P

Last edited:

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
How can you tell that just from this photo?

-Chris
you going to question it when i researched into this for 2 hours and came up with the closest and i mean exactly a like in every way shape and form and your the one questioning me? :?

the markings are the same just the OPs' pic is darker if you look close the marking on the OPs' pic they are the same.

and if you look at the V shape on the carapace that has a dark outline exactly matches the picture i posted.

if im coming off mean syndicate its because you came of no ground to stand on with why you think im wrong in any way, thus i think you just want to see my opinion on why i think its Haplopelma albostriatum

Last edited:

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok so I recently purchased a T from a LPS. It was labled as a "vietnamese birdeater" but I was wondering if any one can give me the latin name because I can't figure out what it is. there is a picture of it in the picture i.d. but no one has replied yet. Its like the first one. Its labled hap.sp???
Look up pictures of Haplopelma vonwirthi and Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam." In my opinion, they look quite similar to the spider you've acquired.
hush to both of you, preuss is a quick and fun 2 hour drive, and we carry all kinds of neat stuff! matter of fact we have one of them there female H. albopilosums available for purchase right meow. ;P;P;P
I hope you meant H. albostriatum? I saw Stan Schultz make the same mistake on another board. :eek:

Last edited:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you going to question it when i researched into this for 2 hours and came up with the closest and i mean exactly a like in every way shape and form and your the one questioning me? :?

the markings are the same just the OPs' pic is darker if you look close the marking on the OPs' pic they are the same.

and if you look at the V shape on the carapace that has a dark outline exactly matches the picture i posted.

if im coming off mean syndicate its because you came of no ground to stand on with why you think im wrong in any way, thus i think you just want to see my opinion on why i think its Haplopelma albostriatum
I don't know how you can say those two tarantulas are exactly the same, just going by those pictures. I just don't see it.:?
It would be extremely difficult to ID that T from that picture alone, no matter how much research someone does.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not a Haplo expert by any means but I can tell you that this is not an easy picture ID. In the short time I've been on these boards I have seen several threads about every kind of Asian birdeater you can think of. There are always several guesses but very few for sure answers. You are best off just thinking of it as another awesome Haplo pet hole.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

what a waste of 2 hours:D

dosen't look like the same species.

syndicate was asking you a legimate question.

i think Endagr8 is on the right track

moose

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Kodak taxonomy FTW! :rolleyes:

I hope you meant H. albostriatum? I saw Stan Schultz make the same mistake on another board. :eek:
I wouldn't go anywhere near that petstore, they're hybridizing tarantulas! :eek: ;P