please help deformed mantis

pooh

Arachnopeon
hi,
i believe this is L4 or L5. just got tiny wing buds. had it from hatchling. he recently had a really, really bad molt (aug 19). by the time i'd found him he was already in the shape of a "c" (although he can kind of straighten himself out somewhat). i had to gently help him out of the old skin. his legs were all deformed and his arms cannot hold or grab. all limbs are moveable but bent in odd ways. he poops and is handfed. he sits up when i feed him and can kind of flail around. i had to amputate a back leg as it was turning black and moving toward his body. i think he was happier as it seemed he could move easier. i was told i need to hang him in order for him to molt again. i am unsure how to do this as he is very deformed. i am hoping he can be fixed because he's a fighter. he sits up when i call to him or when he is being fed and turns his head when i call him. i'm thinking he will molt soon because his sibling just molted this morning.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Im going to be honest but it might just survive for a few weeks or months, but it definitely won’t be able to molt to adulthood. You can keep it and try to CAREEFULLY remove the old shed by slightly wetting it, but it’s not going to be able to molt again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't think the chances of a succesful moult are high either, sorry to say. :(
He needs to be able to hang upside down for it; his best chance would be a piece of insect screen with some space under it to help him hold on. And up the humidity by misting daily. Are you expecting him to moult soon?

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Quality of life vs Quantity of life. There is no hope for that mantid to successfully recover, the most humane thing to do would be to put it in the freezer and get a new one.