Please don’t be mold

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon
other than overflow from the upper water dish I keep the enclosure dry. And even when it does overflow it isn’t much.

I found what looked like a white mold spore a week ago. I just dug it out and everything seems fine. Now I see this green stuff.

Is it mold or moss? It took me like 3 hours to get this log perfectly covered with fake plants and Fluffy has been working on this giant thick tunnel system that’s pretty dope. I would really not want to ruin either. But if it will hurt my family and spider I’ll do what needs to be done.
Here’s the pics of the green stuff and white stuff. I know what her poo looks like so we’re goid there lol.

Here’s the white stuff
https://imgur.com/gallery/1Yjn9Wh

And the green stuff
https://imgur.com/gallery/TyLE2BG
Ignore the video that wasn’t supposed to upload

Last edited by a moderator:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
They both look like fungi. I see the green stuff popping up on new wood sometimes, but it usually disappears as everything settles (I assume because other things outcompete it). The white stuff is going to grow wherever there's food for it. Neither is harmful in my experience. The animals ignore it and it won't come after you and your family whilst you're sleeping.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Repeat after me:

Mold
In
T
Enclosures
Is
Harmless.

But if it will hurt my family and spider I’ll do what needs to be done.
Are we still talking about a little bit of mold, or did we switch to something actually potentially dangerous like a radioactive bear lose in the house? :rofl:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
And just to put it out there: there is mould in nature as well and wild bugs live and thrive right next to it.

Serafeimink

Arachnopeon
Repeat after me:

Mold
In
T
Enclosures
Is
Harmless.

Are we still talking about a little bit of mold, or did we switch to something actually potentially dangerous like a radioactive bear lose in the house? :rofl:

I have a gun for the bears. Only the demons mess with me while I’m asleep now, but I have been pretty good about killing them with a special gun I have.

I was worried because I’m one of the youtubers videos he got some type of mold or fungus growth in his enclosure and then immediately rehoused his spider and cleaned enclosure A.

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll watch it grow :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was worried because I’m one of the youtubers videos he got some type of mold or fungus growth in his enclosure and then immediately rehoused his spider and cleaned enclosure
Repeat after me:

Do
Not
Take
YouTubers
Seriously.

I have heard nothing but absolute rubbish whenever someone passes on advice they saw in a video of a popular YouTuber. Those people are popular because others find them entertaining, NOT because they are wonderful examples of T keepers.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
As the other posters have said, it's most likely harmless. I myself like to take out mold because i don't like the look and smell of it, but if it isn't a full blown infestation you should be dandy!

Sincerely, Maman

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I was worried because I’m one of the youtubers videos he got some type of mold or fungus growth in his enclosure and then immediately rehoused his spider and cleaned enclosure A.
Was this exotic lair? Just unsubscribe. He doesn't understand that he gets mould because his enclosures have next to no ventilation.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is it mold or moss? It took me like 3 hours to get this log perfectly covered with fake plants and Fluffy has been working on this giant thick tunnel system that’s pretty dope. I would really not want to ruin either. But if it will hurt my family and spider I’ll do what needs to be done.
These threads (by boina, a microbiologist) are worth reading, if for nothing else than reassurance: