Please...Advice?

Arashi Takamine

Arachnopeon
No, no you weren't repeating anything. A sling sounds nice and I'm really getting interested...Especially in the B. Smithi I kinda want one.

Just need room for it. Good thing my dad's a carpenter. I see a lot of people saying they just bought a betta and then it's sick so I don't want to be that person who randomly bought a T without knowing anything and wind up hurting it by accident. Critter keepers are good homes for it right?

And awesome! XD Beginner T's with nearly no work definietly eases my mind. ^_^

Low maintence is deifnietly my speed. Thing is when I got into fish until I already had them did I really learn how hard it was to look after them.

Spiders...Definietly seem my speed.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Kritter keepers are good for most adult and juvie Ts but slings should be kept in appropriately sized enclosures. I have five and it's almost as easy as having one.

Arashi Takamine

Arachnopeon
So for a sling would I be better off getting a jar like I did for my betta's? I want to give him or her room to grow...So would let's say two gallons be a good size to start off?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A 2 gallon container would be a good size for many adult tarantulas, depending on species. Also depending on species and age, slings can be very tiny - like 1 cm, and would get lost in 2 gallons. A pill type vial is appropriate for many slings. There is a container thread on here somewhere that shows all kinds of things people use for sling homes. i.e. - small Rubbermaid or Tupperware type stuff. You can inexpensively increase the size of the container as the sling grows, then invest in a fancier habitat when it's more of an adult size, if you so choose.

Amoeba beat me to it. :)

Arashi Takamine

Arachnopeon
One centimeter for a sling? Wow...I'll try finding that thread then. If their that tiny then some 'aquariums' I've found listed for betta's may be a good size then.

I'm more so worried about what I'd have to feed it then anything else.

CoSpiderGuy

Arachnopeon
I have to tell you, I was terrified of spiders. I got my first rose hair at 17, and know have over 30 t's. Although i still may jump when my feather leg baboon (bad, painful bite, so I've heard) runs for an escape. They are beautiful creatures and i love to handle my new worlds, from time to time. My advice, just get a new world, something you can hold, and over time you fears will deminish.

Arashi Takamine

Arachnopeon
Alright...Thank you. I have my heart set on a B. Smithi and...Now just to prove to my parents I can look after it.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm more so worried about what I'd have to feed it then anything else.
Slings will scavenge, a prekilled tiny cricket, or cricket pieces or mealworm pieces etc. They really aren't hard to feed. :)

The one picture I posted, the little spider with the "heart" on it's abdomen (Cyriocosmus elegans) is a dwarf species of tarantula. That one was almost mature in that pic, and as slings they are almost microscopic lol....I raised a number of them, all just with prekilled pin heads, or the leg of a bigger cricket. Slings are not as intimidating as they seem.

Edit* B. smithi are great spiders, but they can be hair kickers, so you may not want to handle it as much. If you want something that you can handle, I highly recommend G. pulchripes. That was the spider I started with and I am quite partial to them.

Arashi Takamine

Arachnopeon
Alright thanks. ^_^ Pre-killed stuff for my sling it is..I do wonder how a freeze dried bloodworm would fair for one.

They seem like the perfect way to start off that they they get to know their owners patterns and behaviors. I'm really looking forward to getting everything ready...I really do think I want a tarantula now but I'm gonna keep researching and making sure this is the right choice. I'm already looking at places like Jaime's Tarantula's in trying to track down the species I really want. B. Smithi.