Platymeris biguttatus Defensive Spray

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
As the title suggests, this thread is about the ability and tendency of Platymeris to “spit” venom. Of the three biguttatus nymphs I have, my most timid one has displayed what I believe to be the same behavior many other keepers have seen. I guess what I’m trying to say is, are they actually spitting venom?? It seems more like a “defensive secretion” type of deal. The body of the nymph did not move much at all, but I felt a sudden, slight wetness on my face. Everything points to this have coming from the abdomen and not the rostrum, so I simply wonder:

Is “spitting venom” just a simplification for ease’s sake or can these guys squirt out of both ends?

(P.S. i was wearing glasses and the nymph had bad aim, but my eyesight’s nothing to write home about in the first place so i might as well have been sprayed)
(P.P.S., i’m not running on a lot of sleep so sorry if this thread ends up reading like a 5th grade book report)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting! Did you notice any distinct odor when it happened?

I've never witnessed any of my P. biguttatus spraying anything, but I have noticed that when they go into a "feeding frenzy" when I dump in fresh crickets, there is a distinct pungent ammonia-like odor coming from the tank. I do not notice that odor at other times, only during feedings. I inititally thought it might have been dirty substrate, so I rehoused the entire colony into a new tank with fresh new substrate - and still noticed the same odor during feeding time.

I also still have the old tank - substrate and all - which I am currently using as a nursery tank because there were quite a few eggs mixed in with the substrate and I figured it was easier to just let them hatch out on their own than to try picking out the eggs. I do not notice that odor coming from that tank any more, suggesting that the substrate was not the source after all and that it might be some odor the bugs themselves are giving off.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
Interesting! Did you notice any distinct odor when it happened?
Actually, yeah! that was the one thing I forgot to mention in my original post. I gave it a quick sniff after I wiped it off my face (as one does) and it carried the trademark Platymeris fragrance. The feeding stench could have something to do with venom, and/or relate back to the defensive secretion?? They’re definitely more odorous than the average pet invert.