Platymeris biguttatus Care (and some clarification needed)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Hello all, I just picked one of these guys up at the Reptile Expo in Tinley Park. I’ve read that they need cork bark or just something to climb on, is this a necessity and why/why not? And they are kept on the dry side correct? The container it’s in (which I got it in) has a decent amount of condensation, I removed the cork bark (just because I’m traveling tomorrow and don’t want it to get crushed), and after prodding it’s back legs just a bit, he seemed kinda sluggish. Is this normal, is it getting ready for a molt, or should I be concerned? Sorry guys I’m a huge newbie when it comes to assassin bugs.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, they do need cork or something similar to climb on, particularly if they are not fully mature. They need to hang from the bark to molt. (If you've picked up an adult, it will not molt again - but if it's a mated female, you could end up with nymphs that will need to molt eventually.) It also gives them a place to hang out. In my experience, they don't really want to hang out on the ground. They prefer to climb and hide. Mine are particularly fond of their cork tubes, which give them both good climbing/hanging surfaces and the dark inside of the tubes to hide in - but of course, then you don't see them as often. But that's a common trade-off with raising many types of inverts - give them the right conditions to keep them healthy and "happy" and you'll rarely see them because they'll hide or burrow or whatever. Keep them in a high-visibility enclosure and you'll see them all the time - but they won't live as long.

I keep mine fairly dry. I don't know how much moisture they can handle. I'll give my substrate a good soaking every now and then (for the cleaner crew of isopods - though the majority of those seem to have been eaten!) but the cage has a screen top so condensation never builds up and the top of the substrate dries out pretty quickly.

I wouldn't really describe any of mine as "sluggish." They generally move pretty quickly when prompted to do so - though when just hanging out in the tank, they may not move for hours at a time. It could be yours is just stressed from the travel to/from the show, is too cold, or does not like the excess moisture. I hope it's ok! They're really cool bugs and a lot of fun to raise.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yes, they do need cork or something similar to climb on, particularly if they are not fully mature. They need to hang from the bark to molt. (If you've picked up an adult, it will not molt again - but if it's a mated female, you could end up with nymphs that will need to molt eventually.) It also gives them a place to hang out. In my experience, they don't really want to hang out on the ground. They prefer to climb and hide. Mine are particularly fond of their cork tubes, which give them both good climbing/hanging surfaces and the dark inside of the tubes to hide in - but of course, then you don't see them as often. But that's a common trade-off with raising many types of inverts - give them the right conditions to keep them healthy and "happy" and you'll rarely see them because they'll hide or burrow or whatever. Keep them in a high-visibility enclosure and you'll see them all the time - but they won't live as long.

I keep mine fairly dry. I don't know how much moisture they can handle. I'll give my substrate a good soaking every now and then (for the cleaner crew of isopods - though the majority of those seem to have been eaten!) but the cage has a screen top so condensation never builds up and the top of the substrate dries out pretty quickly.

I wouldn't really describe any of mine as "sluggish." They generally move pretty quickly when prompted to do so - though when just hanging out in the tank, they may not move for hours at a time. It could be yours is just stressed from the travel to/from the show, is too cold, or does not like the excess moisture. I hope it's ok! They're really cool bugs and a lot of fun to raise.
Thanks, this is very informative and definitely helps me out a lot! I look forward to raising this guy/girl for sure :)

aphono

Arachnobaron
Can confirm the response above. Never saw them molt but their old molts are hanging well above ground. They rarely walk or hang out on substrate & start climbing and trying to hide high up in things when spooked.

Mine have a dry sub with a small water dish- no idea if they ever drink but.. They are active when bothered or at feeding time, molt just fine etc in this set up. I'd move yours to dry set up or mostly dry with a 'moist corner' just in case condensation is at least partly the problem. It's common for things that like or do better on the drier side to be sold in 'excessively wet' set ups at events. Not sure why, might be a buffer against dehydration from a stressful time..?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Can confirm the response above. Never saw them molt but their old molts are hanging well above ground. They rarely walk or hang out on substrate & start climbing and trying to hide high up in things when spooked.

Mine have a dry sub with a small water dish- no idea if they ever drink but.. They are active when bothered or at feeding time, molt just fine etc in this set up. I'd move yours to dry set up or mostly dry with a 'moist corner' just in case condensation is at least partly the problem. It's common for things that like or do better on the drier side to be sold in 'excessively wet' set ups at events. Not sure why, might be a buffer against dehydration from a stressful time..?
And I see the same type of thing in pet stores; an animal that likes it moist is kept way too dry, or, like you said, an animal that likes it dry is kept too moist. Anyways, it is currently in the container that I bought it in, as my family is on our way back to Tennessee (I had fall break and we have family near Chicago), but I bought a separate enclosure for it and will be rehousing it soon after I get home. I also poked some holes into the lid of the container before I left, so the condensation isn’t much of an issue anymore. Truly appreciate the input man :)

aphono

Arachnobaron
And I see the same type of thing in pet stores; an animal that likes it moist is kept way too dry, or, like you said, an animal that likes it dry is kept too moist. Anyways, it is currently in the container that I bought it in, as my family is on our way back to Tennessee (I had fall break and we have family near Chicago), but I bought a separate enclosure for it and will be rehousing it soon after I get home. I also poked some holes into the lid of the container before I left, so the condensation isn’t much of an issue anymore. Truly appreciate the input man :)
Yeah, not very fun seeing improper conditions for the poor things. Especially the chain stores, finally got to see an A. avic at a local Petco... as every one said it was kept horribly. Ugh.

Good luck with the new pet! I got mine not too long ago- just had two finally molt out into adults. They're pretty cool and pretty. :)

p.s. they'll eat-well, suck the juices out of anything.. mealworms, waxworms, dubia, crickets.. I suspect their premolt sign is having a swollen reddish abdomen. As usual for other inverts, they don't really want to eat during the premolt stages.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yeah, not very fun seeing improper conditions for the poor things. Especially the chain stores, finally got to see an A. avic at a local Petco... as every one said it was kept horribly. Ugh.

Good luck with the new pet! I got mine not too long ago- just had two finally molt out into adults. They're pretty cool and pretty. :)

p.s. they'll eat-well, suck the juices out of anything.. mealworms, waxworms, dubia, crickets.. I suspect their premolt sign is having a swollen reddish abdomen. As usual for other inverts, they don't really want to eat during the premolt stages.
Yea I fed mine a Dubia not long ago, it skewered it up almost immediately. I’d say it’s up there with trapdoors in terms of “coolness to watch” (I guess, lol). Thx again!

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight

Today's your lucky day~ Here's one of mine molting:D
44118717_739459243086412_9220230272572719104_n.jpg
I keep mine dry, and they're fine~ Though their eggs need moisture to hatch, so... honestly I'm still figuring things out too.
Also things that I've observed during premolt include, food refusal (shocking discovery, I know), they seem to also be a bit darker in color (very subtle tho) and a ridge around their abdomen (it's hard to explain how it looks, but essentially their abdomen is plump in the middle, and then it thins out out and then there's a ridge). I'm not even sure these signs are even that accurate and reliable, because I'm working off of memory.:confused:

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Thx everyone for their kind advice, and I guess I ought to give you guys a little update. He/She’s doing perfectly fine, it’s always on the cork bark slab I gave it (on the side away from the sunlight, where I can’t see it, lol). Not a huge deal, since I can simply flip the enclosure around if I want to see him/her. It eats like a pig! Very hungry animal, and it’s hunting strategy is very fun to watch, especially as it’s slowly walking towards and stalking the feeder. Thanks again guys!

Here’s some pics:

Attachments