Platymeris biguttata questions

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow thanks so much for all the info. I find them interesting and I think its what I need.. I got T's and scolopendras and quit a few scorps.. but no insects. Im glad someone who actually cares and knows what they are talking about decided to reply. :clap: :worship: :worship:

Any time my friend. I've had a fascination with assassins since I was about 8 years old so I tend to be pretty sympathetic to anyone who has questions about them. Like I said, If you got any other questions or anything feel free to contact me. I'm always up for a chat about the assassins lol.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any time my friend. I've had a fascination with assassins since I was about 8 years old so I tend to be pretty sympathetic to anyone who has questions about them. Like I said, If you got any other questions or anything feel free to contact me. I'm always up for a chat about the assassins lol.
Haha good deal. They are very cool. Im ordering a few white spot assassins on next monday I cant wait!:D Do you have first hand experience with them?;)

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Haha good deal. They are very cool. Im ordering a few white spot assassins on next monday I cant wait!:D Do you have first hand experience with them?;)
Who are you getting them from and how much? I may be able to hook you up with a better deal. As for experience... you bet haha! Trust me you won't regret adding them to your collection.

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got a full record of bite effects if you need them. They aren't serious or all THAT painful but you'll be in a good bit of discomfort for a day or two, not something you want to happen.
They aren't the best at spraying but if you're not careful it will suck pretty hard :p

Most of all enjoy them, they have some beautiful behaviour, they are fun to watch and they make some crazy noises when they mate (or get really scared)!

They are fun and easy to breed too!

ZoSoLp510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got a full record of bite effects if you need them. They aren't serious or all THAT painful but you'll be in a good bit of discomfort for a day or two, not something you want to happen.
They aren't the best at spraying but if you're not careful it will suck pretty hard :p

Most of all enjoy them, they have some beautiful behaviour, they are fun to watch and they make some crazy noises when they mate (or get really scared)!

They are fun and easy to breed too!
Full record of bite effects huh? I'd love to read that! :D

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
They are neet creatures, the white spots. If you look in the classifieds you will see who is selling them today. I have been to his house and he has many of them.
The bite is rather painful having been bitten myself but it is not as bad as some would say. Spraying venom is something they do but it does take some prodding to get them to do that. Glasses will stop the eye contact and you can smell it so you will also know when it is happening.
As far as legalities....who really knows:? . People can say this that and the other thing but ya never really know.
They tend to drop eggs when misted and the eggs hatch in about a month

petshopguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So is this a case of it being extralegal but the feds simply turning their head at it. I know mantids are technically illegal yet no one has ever had them seized by feds even at shows. But if you have phasmids they will take your phasmids and your mantids.
I do know of a vendor at a state herp expo that had his mantids seized. It was a well-planned bust that was even mentioned in Reptiles Magazine. They nailed 2 vendors really bad - the herp vendor that had several species of herps that were local species, but couldn't provide documentation that he bought them legally from an out-of-state source; and an insect vendor that predominantly had mantids. So, it has happened.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do know of a vendor at a state herp expo that had his mantids seized. It was a well-planned bust that was even mentioned in Reptiles Magazine. They nailed 2 vendors really bad - the herp vendor that had several species of herps that were local species, but couldn't provide documentation that he bought them legally from an out-of-state source; and an insect vendor that predominantly had mantids. So, it has happened.
Thats how it seems to happen......on a whim, ya never know

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a chance to chat with a rep from the USDA/APHIS today at the LA Natural History Museum's Bug Fair. It is indeed illegal to keep non US native assassins w/o the proper permits. They also, if they find out that you have them, will come to your door to confiscate them.

Edit: The laws specifically reguarding the illegality of them is the Plant Pest Act. The version in which they are made illegal may or may not be published yet...(According to the USDA rep I was talking to it is backlogged about 5 years)

Last edited:

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a chance to chat with a rep from the USDA/APHIS today at the LA Natural History Museum's Bug Fair. It is indeed illegal to keep non US native assassins w/o the proper permits. They also, if they find out that you have them, will come to your door to confiscate them.
Then I will say sorry to tell ya boys but they passed away :( LOL. Id say... nope no assassins here. Now what? Not to mention I live in a very wealthy suberb and my road has its own gate with a card lock... So good luck to them getting everything they need to legally come inside my door and in my room. And by this time id just put them outside till they left... not that hard if you use common sense.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then I will say sorry to tell ya boys but they passed away :( LOL. Id say... nope no assassins here. Now what? Not to mention I live in a very wealthy suberb and my road has its own gate with a card lock... So good luck to them getting everything they need to legally come inside my door and in my room. And by this time id just put them outside till they left... not that hard if you use common sense.
I just have to ask seriously, are you 12?

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For anyone interested in trying to get these legally I just got a response to an email about them:

"Importation of assassin bugs and phasmids(and subsequent possession)and
interstate movement of phasmids requires a PPQ 526 Plant Pest Permit (from
USDA APHIS) and a qualified containment facility. These organisms are
regulated under 7 CFR 330.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this subject.

Sincerely,

Wayne Wehling
Senior Entomologist
USDA APHIS PPQ"

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Importation of assassin bugs and phasmids(and subsequent possession)and interstate movement of phasmids requires a PPQ 526 Plant Pest Permit (from USDA APHIS) and a qualified containment facility. These organisms are regulated under 7 CFR 330.
Kevin,
What Dr. Wehling has stated is it's illegal to import assassin bugs into the US without the permit. He mentions nothing about captive born assassins being illegal.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you read the message he also states the the possession of them requires permits and a "qualified containment facility".

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The subsequent possession clause is referring to the importation of the assassins. Again, no mention of captive born.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The subsequent possession clause is referring to the importation of the assassins. Again, no mention of captive born.
Think again...

My 2nd email:
"I just realized that I do in fact have another question for you. Does this law also cover captive bred/born non-US native assassins?

I have heard from a few people that there are pet stores on the east coast selling them...

- Kevin"

His response:
"Possession of these Arthropods requires a USDA permit.

Cheers,
Wayne"

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As an USDA/APHIS permitee I can tell you that you cannot be in POSSESSION of these species without a US PPQ 526 regardless of the source whether captive born or imported. Furthermore, there are very specific facility and enclosure requirements necessary for properly and legally maintaining this species. If you are caught with them in your possession, they will be confiscated (and probably given to me if in the NJ/NYC area) and you will be facing a court date and fine. You will also be made example of and probably hit up with the maximum fine/penalty as USDA likes to make examples out of people who break the law.

For those selling this species on the web, if you illegally sell and ship to someone posing as a buyer who works for the gov't you will not only be in trouble for breaking USDA/APHIS regulations but you will also be in trouble for violating the Lacey Act....

THINK.