Platymeris biguttata questions

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So im thinking about getting a couple assassin bugs and was just looking for a few pointers in keeping them alive, what substrate/humidity/temperature to keep them in, and how often to feed them/ what to feed them. Thanks for help

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First off they are illegal to keep in the US. Secondly please search...There is more than enough info on the site to answer all your questions in detail.

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Current argument about assassins being illegal is strictly hearsay. Keep them if you want and don't worry about it.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Current argument about assassins being illegal is strictly hearsay. Keep them if you want and don't worry about it.
Not true. This is NOT hearsay.

The USDA/APHIS has regulations against them as they are predators of pollinators(bees). This is similar to the regulations against phasmids and exotic beetles as they are agricultural pests. Im sure Cheshire can link to the regulations if he has the time. I lost the link to them.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Legalities:

I have spoken with federal agents in Customs and APHIS and they both agreed illegal to IMPORT, but knew nothing of cb ones being illegal. Did you know AGB's are illegal? Nobody getting busted for those either.

Keep them if you want. Just dont buy them from outside of the USA.

Additionally:
There is an EXCELLENT book on keeping assassins put out by ElytraandAntennae (Orin). Contact him or a copy- its about $15 and well worth it.

Last edited:

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have spoken with federal agents in Customs and APHIS and they both agreed illegal to IMPORT, but knew nothing of cb ones being illegal. Did you know AGB's are illegal? Nobody getting busted for those either.

Keep them if you want. Just dont buy them from outside of the USA.

Additionally:
There is an EXCELLENT book on keeping assassins put out by ElytraandAntennae (Orin). Contact him or a copy- its about $15 and well worth it.
what are agb's

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please show me your evidence stating this because I have documentation from a senior Entomologist working at the USDA/APHIS, Plant Protection and Quarantine stating otherwise.

Not true. This is NOT hearsay.

The USDA/APHIS has regulations against them as they are predators of pollinators(bees). This is similar to the regulations against phasmids and exotic beetles as they are agricultural pests. Im sure Cheshire can link to the regulations if he has the time. I lost the link to them.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I dont want a bug thats illegal but how can people sell them online if their illegal... Oh well im still getting a few. Id rather have assassin bugs than bumble bees honestly.. even though bees do alot more for the ecosystem.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Please show me your evidence stating this because I have documentation from a senior Entomologist working at the USDA/APHIS, Plant Protection and Quarantine stating otherwise.
I had two field agents come to my house as a result of a cockroach situation I had, the result of which left me a piece of paper showing receipt for the $1000 fine I paid for accidently bringing 14 roaches back from Costa Rica. That is all the documentation I have. They came to my house and inspected my bug room and they were Ok with it then, and I have since called one of them a few times asking about clarity of these silly rumors I read on AB.

I also know that anyone working for USDA/APHIS is under instruction to tell you no regardless if they are or are not sure themselves. "Just say no" is thier policy. I have also been in email contact with two 'senior entomologists', so I should know thier rules by now. There are thousands of non native species already here, and they have to tell you no to stem the flow.

So your "evidence" or requirement of "documentation" is that you just have to take my word for it (or not)...who would make up this kind of story? I have better things to do with my time.

To CRPY: An AGB is a African Giant Black millipede, common in the USA via petshops and online dealers.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most of what they have regulations against are not because of the bug itself. Ex: there is a phasmid that would not survive the USA, but in its native Malaysian habitat it carries a very tiny bug that can be harmful to oak trees. Wild caught giant millipedes also carry a tiny bug that has a taste for cotton plants.
So the point of the USDA/APHIS is to protect our native industry and agriculture, and they know most tropical bugs are not a problem, its what rides on them or in them that can be the problem. Now if you are talking other temperate zones like China, that is a whole larger problem (longhorned beetles for example)..... "Senior Entomologists" should have explained this....

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So am I gonna get screwed over if I buy 4 of these off an online dealer...:wall:

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a possibility of the USDA showing up at your door. If they do you might get lucky and they will just take the assassins, others have been less lucky and have had whole collections confiscated(now this is hearsay).

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
There is a possibility of the USDA showing up at your door. If they do you might get lucky and they will just take the assassins, others have been less lucky and have had whole collections confiscated(now this is hearsay).
If you know it's hearsay what you you trying to say by posting it? I don't keep assassins but Tarantulas and scorpions fall under the same rule (predators of predators of plant pests and predators of pollinators).

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it really an issue if the fact that it is has been noted?

Also, how would a scorpion or tarantula end up consuming a bee or other major pollinator? I have never heard of this...

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also, how would a scorpion or tarantula end up consuming a bee or other major pollinator? I have never heard of this...

:eek: I know its hard to believe, but predatory arachnids eat all sorts of insects- not just crickets and roaches. :D

You can see this occurr in natural history TV shows, books, and even your local public garden areas, maybe at the zoo, probably find a video online somewhere, in your backyard if you have one, etc. Bees and butterflies are not unusual on a spiders diet...

The governments definition includes all things possible, not just guaranteed cases.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that bees and butterflies make it into the general spider's diet, but I have never seen a T or scorpion consuming a bee(or butterfly) in the wild. I have seen them take out grasshoppers, beetles, small lizards, in one case a small snake, and I have even seen a scorpion take out a centipede. Never have I found the remains of, or seen them take out a bee or butterfly.

I think the problem really lies in the method of hunting. Assassins will sit on flowers and wait for a bee or the like to fly in and then feed, while other spiders are kind of like equal opportunity hunters. Whatever makes it into their web is what they eat, plant pests and pollinators alike. If found in the same numbers as the average spiders assassins would have much greater environmental impact against pollinators.

Edit: This is probably one of the only things that the government has gotten right with regulations.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
arnt P. biguattata parthenogenic? (A-sexual).. so if they are illegal to keep i would think that would add to the reasons why lol

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had two field agents come to my house as a result of a cockroach situation I had, the result of which left me a piece of paper showing receipt for the $1000 fine I paid for accidently bringing 14 roaches back from Costa Rica. That is all the documentation I have. They came to my house and inspected my bug room and they were Ok with it then, and I have since called one of them a few times asking about clarity of these silly rumors I read on AB.

I also know that anyone working for USDA/APHIS is under instruction to tell you no regardless if they are or are not sure themselves. "Just say no" is thier policy. I have also been in email contact with two 'senior entomologists', so I should know thier rules by now. There are thousands of non native species already here, and they have to tell you no to stem the flow.

So your "evidence" or requirement of "documentation" is that you just have to take my word for it (or not)...who would make up this kind of story? I have better things to do with my time.

To CRPY: An AGB is a African Giant Black millipede, common in the USA via petshops and online dealers.
Thanks, yeah I had this conversation with GB Edwards (Fl. State entomologist)and his arch enemy, Wayne Wehling (federal Ent Insp), It was quite interesting to get two different opinions from the guys "in charge".
about such things as AGBs
crpy

Last edited:

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello
Well I would say get the assasins at your own risk.

Some of the USDA agents interpret the regulations as they will.

Some would say a mantid is a phasmid and don't even know the differences between them.

Giant African Assassin bugs are not parthenogenic.

As far as importation or ownership of exotic non native inverts goes, you still need to get the proper permits to import and to own them.

Just ask any Insect Zoo or Museum Inzect Zoo about that. What makes you guys think that only Insect zoos,Museums or Universities need proper documentationm and not private individuals????????? Even if they are CB they still need the permits

That this owning regulation has not being enforced thoroughly is another thing, but it is just a matter of time.

good luck

francisco T

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow what a stupid rule. If your buying them for a collection why would you give them the chance to escape? I no accidents happen.. but where I live even if one or even 100 assassins escaped, winter or even the weather now would surely kill them in days. So I dont see a problem, let alone the nymphs surviving a LONG CoLd 6 months.. ;)