1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plants in a B. Auratum enclosure?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Coiled Colt, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Coiled Colt

Coiled Colt Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Ive got a Brachypelma auratum, which using a lot of helpful tips is currently in an enclosure I'm fairly happy with.
    But do think it's a little bland. Am I able to put some sort of plant inside it to add both colour and extra cover/hiding spots?
    Are there any specific types that you guys use in yours? Plastic or real? Etc.......

It looks like this from the top at the moment:
    20171127_105607.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Nonnack

Nonnack Arachnosquire Active Member

Poland
    You should go with plastic, real ones are little bit hard to maintain, especially with Brachypelmas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnosquire Active Member

Iowa
    I frequently use fake plants in my enclosures. Planted tanks are doable, but take a LOT of maintenance and care when you can just buy a nice looking plastic plant. That way you don't have to worry about the T ripping up a real one, either. They can be good additional cover and make your T feel more secure.

4. Coiled Colt

Coiled Colt Arachnopeon

I'll have a look for a leafy plastic one then.
    Thanks again for the help. :)

5. jaycied

jaycied Arachnoknight Active Member

Idaho
    I live doing bioactive enclosures, but I save those for species that like it more humid. I'm currently making a planted tank for my female Poecilotheria rufilata. The arboreals are less likely to dig up the plants. I do want to make an arid planted tank for an adult female Brachypelma or Grammostola pulchra at some point. If I were to do that I probably would use succulents and leave them in pots, and plant the whole thing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Storm1028

Storm1028 Arachnopeon

USA
    I keep my M. balfouri with two succulents. The succulents seem to do fine and growing well. If you want to add plants to an arid microenvironment, just make sure you use a mixture of substrates rather than straight coco fiber. This is my current mixture:

1 part sphagnum moss: 1 part sand: 2 part coco fiber: 4 part excavator.

This mixture is a bit expensive but it worked for me because I already had them. You can always experiment with other mixtures. Just make sure that the plants you get aren't sprayed with pesticides, insecticides, etc.

7. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

You can still see them?! They haven't been webbed over yet? A miracle! :hilarious:

I use fake plants in most of my enclosures, just because it's easier to maintain. I did just recently put some live moss and three stalks of lucky bamboo into my P. striata enclosure. Two stalks of bamboo died, one is still green and doing well in just cocofiber. One of the stalks was doomed because she immediately dug it out of the ground so I couldn't water it and I didn't want to fix it while she was settling in because I find it important to leave new Ts alone as much as possible in the first month or two so they can feel safe and acclimate. Of course I pluck out boluses, feed, and give them water, but it's not the best time to be rearranging things and such.

[​IMG]

The moss has browned out a bit, but there are still a few patches of green. It's hard to keep it lush without sunlight.

Anyway, live pants do better in humid enclosures that need wet substrate. For tarantulas like B. auratum who need it more on the dry side, your options of live plants are limited-- but fake plants stay green and lush no matter how dry and how little sunlight they get!

8. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

fake plants....all the way.

9. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    Enclosure looks perfect the way it is man, has all the essentials. I wouldn't add anything.

10. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

I like the silk ones from the craft stores. They don't brown. If they get gross and you can't clean them, toss them for new ones (that has yet to happen)

11. Storm1028

Storm1028 Arachnopeon

USA
    I have an 8" plant and a 3" plant. I was experimenting and turned out the plants do really well. My 3" plant is buried though...:banghead:

12. Storm1028

Storm1028 Arachnopeon

USA
    Heres some pictures. The first pic. is the 8" plant and the second pic. is the buried 3" plant.:meh:

Attached Files: