Plant ID

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How cold does it get where you are, and for how long? Are you in central Texas (blackland prairies kinda area)?
Nahh, no black-land prairie clay stuff. I do spend most of my time right now in a house in central tx, black clay and bedrock, not the best for nanas like you prob read about. But I have another tiny aframe project house just west of Houston I bought cheap. I only bought that place in an area I'd rather be in so I could have a place to go when I sold this place in central tx(Austin area). My old parents and all my family discouraged me from buying that place but I could probably score 50K on it right now. People are so neg, sup with that? I think they don't like seeing others doing something because it makes them feel like maybe they should be doing it also. People just shouldn't consider too much what others say sometimes and do what they want, use your own judgment right? Really frustrating if you let it get to you. Then after I sell the central tx house, I'd use the $ to look for a better place in the Brenham area while living in the tiny aframe house. The main reason I want to move to that area is because there is better soil, sandy loam type of soil, alluvial deposit kind of soil from the Brazos and Navasota rivers. I can't grow much here in central tx on bedrock and black clay and the deer eat almost everything I'm interested in, they roam the city limits, no predators. I'm sure you could read about it on the internet, "deer problem in Austin area" I see deer every single day here. One neighbor feeds the deer, the other hates the deer. I hate the deer, other than for sausage haha. They are yard rats here. It reminds me of politics with the deer around here. I'm going to move the nana plants to the aframe, plant them with plans of digging them up when I find a better place after that. gonna, gonna, gonna, story of my life. I might keep that little house for a while though, it's turned out to be pretty cool with a chill kind of scenery, a pond across the street and a code gate at the entrance of the hood. Looks kind of "fancy pants" at first but the reason the gate was put up was because people were dumping trash out there. So I think people now perceive it as decent neighborhood only because of the gate and are starting to build out there, and so it is turning into a better neighborhood right after I bought that little place. Some years it freezes there, sometimes it doesn't, as long as it doesn't freeze the stem should be OK in that area.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Lots and lots of different banana varieties. I'm wondering about the cold tolerant ones producing a flower and how fast it will grow, will it be fertile and produce fruit and how long it will take.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Positive ID finally, it's a Papaya tree. I know what happened, I bought a Papaya, didn't like it and gave it to my Hissers. I dump out old trash from cricket and roach tubs into other containers and sometimes use it as fertilizer. So, one of the seeds germinated. I guess I'll pot it.

The Snark

Old Timer
Positive ID finally, it's a Papaya tree.
FACE PALM! I see those every day and it never occurred to me.
I just showed that pic to my other. She took a moments glance and: "Malacaw. So what?" (Thai word for papaya)

Silly Papaya tricks. Move it into direct full sun. It will zoom up about a foot a month and start producing a huge mass of fruit in 3-4 months. Move it into deep shade it will grow a trunk 20 feet tall or more and only produce a half dozen fruits. The seeds have a fantastic germination rate, over 50% and you can produce an indefinite number of new trees from a single fruit. In deep shade you can sometimes force it into producing a branch or two. Normally it is just a single trunk.
They remain viable for only about 5 years then the main trunk starts to rot.
The leaves have numerous medicinal properties.

Oh yes. Best growth is plant them on raised rows and flood water, allowing a week between floodings.

Last edited:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Positive ID finally, it's a Papaya tree. I know what happened, I bought a Papaya, didn't like it and gave it to my Hissers. I dump out old trash from cricket and roach tubs into other containers and sometimes use it as fertilizer. So, one of the seeds germinated. I guess I'll pot it.
Wow, who knew papaya looked just like ragweed lol?

That's much more exciting--I hope it does well for you!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I potted it, I'm going to put it on the porch and take it through the winter here where it can freeze sometimes. Then when March comes around, I think a good place to plant it is in the bottom of shallow ditch in front of my house. It hardly ever has running water in it but it's low where the moisture is.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I potted it, I'm going to put it on the porch and take it through the winter here where it can freeze sometimes. Then when March comes around, I think a good place to plant it is in the bottom of shallow ditch in front of my house. It hardly ever has running water in it but it's low where the moisture is.
How cold does it get? Are you sure you want to plant it outside at all? I gather these aren't especially cold tolerant.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How cold does it get? Are you sure you want to plant it outside at all? I gather these aren't especially cold tolerant.
It's that they don't live long and can get pretty big, don't have a greenhouse so I'm just going to put it in the ground next year and let it take it's course that way. Sometimes it freezes here in winter and other times it doesn't, just going to take a gamble, not much more I can do. I'll just grow more if I want to later.

The Snark

Old Timer
It will only need a few months good growing weather to produce a fruit. Then you can start a couple hundred next year.