Plant ID

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anybody know what this is? Some kind of common weed I suspect but I'm curious to what it is, popped up in a container I have over here. I looked around on the internet but couldn't find a good match, from Texas.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I'm betting it's Passiflora, and the leaves don't look quite like pictures online because it's still young.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The leaves do look like passiflora but I've germinated passiflora before and it never looked like a germinated passiflora. The stem is softer than passiflora and growing faster than a passiflora seedling. I may just have to wait and see, it shouldn't take very long, I'm thinking it's a fast growing annual of some kind.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
There are several different species of passiflora with markedly different traits and appearance. With any plant that can grow as fast as this one, expect some pretty radical deviations from the norm. Again, look for tendrils. They may be rudimentary, may even never develop, but all of them at least try to develop them.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are several different species of passiflora with markedly different traits and appearance. With any plant that can grow as fast as this one, expect some pretty radical deviations from the norm. Again, look for tendrils. They may be rudimentary, may even never develop, but all of them at least try to develop them.
I hope is passiflora but I've grown the local sps., it's just not matching up to it. It's probably going to end up showing itself to a pretty common plant, what some consider a "weed" around here. I'm just going to let it keep growing out of curiosity, post pics later.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Went out of town and pretty sure this is it along the side of the road. I think it's called Giant Ragweed.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like ragweed to me (the second pic anyway, can't help you on the first).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like ragweed to me (the second pic anyway, can't help you on the first).
I meant to say the plant in the first pic is probably the same sps. in the second pic. The one in the first pic has grown and now has more lobes in the leaves.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Went out of town and pretty sure this is it along the side of the road. I think it's called Giant Ragweed.
Huh. I can sorta see it. This seems like just what a weed would do with its leaves as it ages lol. Could you post pics of it now? Not doubting your judgment, just wondering how much it's changed.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Huh. I can sorta see it. This seems like just what a weed would do with its leaves as it ages lol. Could you post pics of it now? Not doubting your judgment, just wondering how much it's changed.
Sure, I know what you mean, I like to see with my own eyes also. Other recent things I have going, more Kiwi plants grown from seed, looks like I need to water. I ordered a couple of ice cream banana plants, man I need a greenhouse pretty bad. My two seed grown Pawpaw trees took off in the spring. A few orange tees germinated.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Well, that definitely looks like the plant to me lol. Funny how they can just decide to sprout extra lobes when they get older. Sorta like teenagers growing their hair out, except that plants never stop.
more Kiwi plants grown from seed, looks like I need to water. I ordered a couple of ice cream banana plants
My two seed grown Pawpaw trees took off in the spring. A few orange tees germinated.
Very nice. Send me some pawpaw when you get some :p
man I need a greenhouse pretty bad
Sure looks like it.

The Snark

Old Timer
What's an 'ice cream' banana? Why are they called that?
It's kind of funny. To me bananas were bananas. Chiquita, Dole, duhh. Then I got dropped into the markets of S.E. Asia and I'm totally bewildered. There's got to be about as many different versions of bananas as there are pine trees. "Oh, you don't want those bananas, they make you fart. Those tastes like tissue paper. Those go bad too fast. And there's blue bananas, red ones, orange ones. finger sized, one they make glue from, ones grown as hog feed supplement and on and on.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's an 'ice cream' banana? Why are they called that?
It's kind of funny. To me bananas were bananas. Chiquita, Dole, duhh. Then I got dropped into the markets of S.E. Asia and I'm totally bewildered. There's got to be about as many different versions of bananas as there are pine trees. "Oh, you don't want those bananas, they make you fart. Those tastes like tissue paper. Those go bad too fast. And there's blue bananas, red ones, orange ones. finger sized, one they make glue from, ones grown as hog feed supplement and on and on.
Don't really know, people say they taste like ice cream(?) I bet a lot of people don't but I'd like to find out. Around here, I'd be lucky to get one through the winter so that I could find out. Sometimes the winters here aren't so bad and they make it to Spring. Either that or I get a greenhouse. I only like plants that are weird to me in some kind of way or else they produce something to eat. I want something like a food forest some day.

The Snark

Old Timer
Don't really know, people say they taste like ice cream(?)
Light bulb. One type of banana has a little vanilla-ish flavor. I'll bet that's it. I can't tell them apart at all. I guess you have to be born and raised in a banana belt to tell them apart. And yes, it's a banana belt. They will grow in just about any soil, down to mingy gravel, but there is a demarcation line more or less set in stone altitude wise they won't grow at. Only about 1500 feet elevation from very fast, healthy growth and lots of baby shoots to un-thrifty and the flowers wither before the bananas form. So cool weather is out.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Don't really know, people say they taste like ice cream(?) I bet a lot of people don't but I'd like to find out. Around here, I'd be lucky to get one through the winter so that I could find out. Sometimes the winters here aren't so bad and they make it to Spring. Either that or I get a greenhouse. I only like plants that are weird to me in some kind of way or else they produce something to eat. I want something like a food forest some day.
Light bulb. One type of banana has a little vanilla-ish flavor. I'll bet that's it. I can't tell them apart at all. I guess you have to be born and raised in a banana belt to tell them apart. And yes, it's a banana belt. They will grow in just about any soil, down to mingy gravel, but there is a demarcation line more or less set in stone altitude wise they won't grow at. Only about 1500 feet elevation from very fast, healthy growth and lots of baby shoots to un-thrifty and the flowers wither before the bananas form. So cool weather is out.
I was reading about the variety and apparently it's fairly cold tolerant, so I assume that plays into it as well. Of course, I'm not sure what qualifies as cold tolerant in the banana world.

Edit: For them as is interested, found a thread about cold tolerant bananas.

http://www.bananas.org/f15/cold-hardy-list-2788.html

Apparently, some can survive in zone 8 in the United States, though I'm sure there's more to it than winter minimum.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was reading about the variety and apparently it's fairly cold tolerant, so I assume that plays into it as well. Of course, I'm not sure what qualifies as cold tolerant in the banana world.

Edit: For them as is interested, found a thread about cold tolerant bananas.

http://www.bananas.org/f15/cold-hardy-list-2788.html

Apparently, some can survive in zone 8 in the United States, though I'm sure there's more to it than winter minimum.
I bought these for the cold-hardy claims and they actually produce bananas instead of being ornamentals that I could care less for. From what I've read, they survive down to the 20's, maybe lower but only the tuber, they come back in the Spring, above ground they can't take a freeze but there are insulation techniques to use during cold spells to get the base of the stem through to Spring, berm the base up with straw, house insulation, anything like that.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I bought these for the cold-hardy claims and they actually produce bananas instead of being ornamentals that I could care less for. From what I've read, they survive down to the 20's, maybe lower but only the tuber, they come back in the Spring, above ground they can't take a freeze but there are insulation techniques to use during cold spells to get the base of the stem through to Spring, berm the base up with straw, house insulation, anything like that.
How cold does it get where you are, and for how long? Are you in central Texas (blackland prairies kinda area)?