Pitbulls

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think I've heard anyone worth listening to call pitbulls dangerous in years. My sister had a bunch. Always defended them and reminded people that they were the friendliest, but no one really said anything negative about them in the first place. Kinda notice that about pit owners in general. Not that it's a bad thing. Reptile and spider owners do it too.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
so far I have avoided this thread assuming it would turn into a pit bull bashing thread. I am pleasantly surprised. nice dog hungry ghost. I actually went out and found a kitten for the dog in my avatar. when he was a baby everyone refused to let him get close to thier animals or children because he was a "killer". so I got him a kitten to prove them wrong.
two years later that *&%^ cat will lay upside down between his legs screaming bloody murder while the dog chews on her. when you finally yell at the dog to leave her alone, the #$%^ cat will follow the dog, flip upside down beneath him to instigate the whole thing, then scream bloody murder. its very enjoyable. lol

cold blood

Staff member
I agree god, nice to see pitties get some of the positive pub they deserve.

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My girlfriend has a 90lb pitbull that was bread from 187 Homicidal Roughneck (generations ago) and he's a sweet heart. I've never met a mean pit, I can't say that for other breeds.

She has 16 chickens that have free roam of her backyard and he basically ignores them. It is funny watching him chase after them a bit sometimes. He did kill one of them when she first got them (6 months ago), but now the only issue is that he likes to sneak into their coop and eat the chicken food.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I just had a 'deadly pitbull' story related to me. Typed rather poorly so I paraphrase.

A family acquired a 6 month old pitbull who was 'bouncy'. He loved to play with their 7 year old girl. A short while later the dog saw the girl on the diving board of their pool. As she ran and jumped the dog went into a complete panic. He threw caution and instincts of self preservation out the window when he saw her 'foundering' in the water and dived in after her.
He landed on top of her and it was a moment of terror all round. She recovered to discover the dog was in complete panic and trying to climb on top of her to get out of the water. Being a much better swimmer than the dog she capably executed a rescue, towing the dog to the side and helping it get out.
The dog then got it into his head he must protect. He would place himself in front of the girl and even knock her down when she tried to approach to pool. He had to be put on a leash when she went swimming.
A few days later the dog seeing her heading for the pool broke his chain and went to protect her. She had had enough of that, picked the dog up - who weighed about as much as she did, and jumped into the pool with him. Then in the shallow end she taught the dog how to swim. After that session every time she went swimming he would station himself at the side of the pool and whine and howl in misery. Big tough guy.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One of the big issues with any "pit bull" thread is that most people have no idea what is and what is not a "pit bull"(two words, by the way). Most people have never actually seen a purebred, real American Pit Bull Terrier and use the term "pit bull" or "pitbull" to refer to any short-haired, stocky dog that weighs between 20 and 200 pounds, and most people tend to think of "pit bulls" as huge, menacing dogs. The overwhelming majority of dogs referred to as "pit bulls" today are mongrels, mixtures of various Mastiff and Bulldog breeds with a lot of other stuff thrown in for measure. This includes dogs with "papers", too, since "hot papering" or "paper hanging", fraudulently obtaining registration of mixed-breed dogs as purebred, is rampant in UKC and ADBA, since they have no requirements to prove parentage of a dog other than to take the word of a breeder. A real American Pit Bull Terrier is actually a small/medium-sized dog. The breed standards call for MAXIMUM size of a male to be only 60 pounds, and for females to weigh between 30 to 50 pounds. Maximum height in inches at the shoulder is just 19 inches. Dogs which are significantly larger are mixed-bred dogs. The cross-breeding got so bad that rather than simply revoke registration on most of the "APBT's" registered with them, UKC formed another "breed", the American Bully Dog, to accommodate those big, heavily-built and usually-blue behemoths, although there are still a lot of people who register their mixed-bred dogs as APBT's. Recently some of you might have seen videos of an enormous red dog, called "Hulk", whose owners claim that he is a "178-pound Pit Bull". He is not, and in fact, has no APBT genes in him for several generations back! He is heavily linebred on a dog that was a F1 cross between a Bullmastiff and an American Bulldog, and there are liberal amounts of Dogue de Bordeaux and Neopolitan Mastiff in Hulk's family tree, as well. As a result of real APBT breeders pointing out these inaccuracies to UKC and ADBA, the registration on those dogs has been revoked.

The Snark

Old Timer
PBL, a thought, something to consider, going along with the facts you present regarding these odd dogs.

We, society, needs to get a firmer grip and acknowledge the pittbull thing is a stygma, a neurosis, as much or more so that genetic product. Roughly summed up, various members of the species homo erectus needing to show off their machismo produced a -Pittbull-. Not a true breed of dog at all, and hence the one word name would be more accurate.

To add some sand to that vaseline we also need to take into account true pure bred dogs are rare and the actual anomaly. Mongrels rule, alpha must establish the genes so sayeth the all powerful goddess of everything, natural selection. With that thought in mind, the Pittbull thing and the owner that raised it to be a brutal vicious animal should be confined together under the harsh circumstances that promote natural selection. Once rid of the majority of the two legged morons the canines of the world can breath a collective sigh of relief.

---------- Post added 06-27-2015 at 06:51 AM ----------

My girlfriend has a 90lb pitbull that was bread from 187 Homicidal Roughneck (generations ago) and he's a sweet heart. I've never met a mean pit, I can't say that for other breeds.

She has 16 chickens that have free roam of her backyard and he basically ignores them. It is funny watching him chase after them a bit sometimes. He did kill one of them when she first got them (6 months ago), but now the only issue is that he likes to sneak into their coop and eat the chicken food.
I think we can safely say there isn't a single drop of old school Akita/Mastiff/etc blood in that animal. Your friend has just created an easy method of roughly determining heritage. Place suspect dog in confined area with a dozen chickens. If there is a single feather left after 3 minutes the animal has absolutely no India Wolf-Dingo-Thai dog-Chow-Akita-and so on in it's ancestry. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Had a pittbull series of encounters the past few days. A PB that attacked various people and was placed in a shelter. No ordinances here to put down vicious dogs.
Anyway, word got around I worked horses, ornery ones, and I was asked to check this one out. So I approached it the same as nut case stallion gone sour. Put the dog on a leash, got it in a vehicle, and took it out to the boondocks. It was acting pretty normal. Abused, trained to attack, lots of fear. Cowering when the leash went on, cowering worse and starting to get vicious loading it into a carry into the truck.
Let the dog out on a 50 foot rope and let it sniff for an hour or so then gathered up most of the leash and we went for a walk. Repeated this for 4 days.

Yesterday. Slobber went near crazy when he saw me. Couldn't hold still as I got the leash on. Jumped into the truck on his own. I decided not to put him in the carrier and just cross tied him. Out into the hills on all 50 feet of rope. Tugging every few seconds and then waiting for me to catch up. Round and around a hundred trees and bushes, acting like a puppy. Shortened up the leash and he kept running up to me like asking if he could play some more. Finally told him it was time to go. He jumped into the truck on his own. Got my face seriously licked as I cross tied him.

Now this is a dangerous dog. One that got this pseudo breed the reputation. Obviously put it in a cramped high stress environment and he would probably end up biting more people. Cut him slack, let him feel at ease in a non threatening environment and he is just a head strong bouncy happy dog. Absolutely no different than my horse. Incompetent people and the wrong environment create the dangerous animals.