Pinning newbie.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Couldnt find a subforum to post this, but i got some a pretty nice small tiger moth from greece, and a skipper butterfly. Im lucky they are not hyperactive, but not dead. They wont fly, and their wings are perfectly shaped. Once they die, can i pin them on hard cardboard, from a cardboard box?. Its impossible for me to find pinning materials such as pinning blocks, and foam, to pin on, but i might be able to find other stuff like cardboard, or maybe foam from electronic devices and toys. Also, should i use transparent papper for the wings?. I was always collecting giant moths from when i was 9 years old (9 years ago.) , So far i got a ton of death head's hawkmoths, and a lot of hawkmoths and hornworm moths, So i would like to pin them in order to remember each and every one. Tell me your advise.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This link should have some good info, admittedly more than you probably need though. http://www.utahlepsociety.org/thebigshow2.pdf

To keep it simple, you can pin them using cardboard or styrofoam for now and then you'll want to figure out how you want to preserve them. I use strips of wax paper when spreading them to keep things cheap.

Redmont

The collector
Check out Bioquip they have a lot of supplies for pinning and dried bugs, they may even ship globally if your not in the US