Pinktoe won't eat?

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
I've had my pink toe for quite awhile, he molted about a month ago ate a week after but now he will not eat and his butt is a little small. He's super active walking around the top of his cage for a good 30mins every night....idk if he's just a picky eater, the cricket escaped from his web and is now walking around on the ground (absolutely terrified of them) I'm not sure to leave the cricket in there and see if he's hungry enough to "hunt" it or to just take it out? I'm super stressed and worried for my baby

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Can you post a picture of the spider and the setup? It could help us identify any problems.

Personally i would remove the cricket if you can do so safely without causing too much stress to the spider.

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
This picture I took of him 3 days ago has always in his web and the cricket is now hiding behind his log he will be out and about soon should I still take it out?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Well the set up looks pretty much in need of changes....pretty barren in there and the wood isn't very tall.

Op, do the ends of the palps have "pink toes"?

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Is that blurry area condensation on the side of the enclosure?

This species is best kept dry (w water dish of course) and a lot of cross ventalation.

Also this species appreciates having plenty of leafy type objects near the top of the enclosure that it can use to make a web tunnel out of.

Are there vent holes in the sides of the enclosure?

if the cricket is hidden away i wouldn't worry too much as the spider shouldn't be molting any time soon and it will just avoid the cricket if it wants. Only if it is reletively easy would i take it out.

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
Yes still so small and skinny, there's another pinktoe at the store I got him at months ago and the butt is 3x the size of his and its body too

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
Is that blurry area condensation on the side of the enclosure?

This species is best kept dry (w water dish of course) and a lot of cross ventalation.

Also this species appreciates having plenty of leafy type objects near the top of the enclosure that it can use to make a web tunnel out of.

Are there vent holes in the sides of the enclosure?

if the cricket is hidden away i wouldn't worry too much as the spider shouldn't be molting any time soon and it will just avoid the cricket if it wants. Only if it is reletively easy would i take it out.
No it's just dried water on the sizes of his cage and yes there's slits every where on the lid of it. I've replaced his plants 9 times and they just don't seem to live long enough in there, should I buy fake ones?

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
Well the set up looks pretty much in need of changes....pretty barren in there and the wood isn't very tall.

Op, do the ends of the palps have "pink toes"?
yes they have pinktoes he hides behind his log now and again his web is in the corner of the cage where he molted in and stays in there since

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
Yeah i would use fake plants.
I will get some in the morning should I use some with bigger leaves? And with feeding when do I try again I don't want to bother him too much and stress him but I also don't want to have him starve?

boina

Lady of the mites
No it's just dried water on the sizes of his cage and yes there's slits every where on the lid of it. I've replaced his plants 9 times and they just don't seem to live long enough in there, should I buy fake ones?
Of course you need fake plants - live plants in an Avic enclosure require a lot of experience to get it right. Otherwise the evaporation from the leaves and the watering needs of the plant may create a dangerously stuffy environment for an Avic.

I'd fix the enclosure with more plants and wait a little while. With an Avic that's just molted recently (i.e. not in danger of molting soon) it's not that necessary to stress everone out by trying to remove the cricket in there.

cold blood

Staff member
it needs taller wood, too....the wood needs to extent to or near the top.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I've had my avics refuse food when there wasn't enough airflow. I can't tell if that is the case with you but maybe pics of the overall setup could help.