Pinktoe Escape! Help!

Squiddyboy

Arachnopeon
Thanks to his dumb owner :)sarcasm:me, I left the lid on the KK open), my adult avic has disappeared without a trace. Any tips on how to retrieve him? Where to look? Get him to come out?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
look around the KK couldn't have gone to far. look under and above things around the KK and in dark places.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Was it an enclosed room?
How long ago did this happen?
Do you have any other pets in the house that may have come across it?
How big was it?
Got a closet in the room? I'd start their looking in the top corners of the closet then sifting through the clothing items, being arboreal its likely to be hiding in one of the higher points of the room.

Squiddyboy

Arachnopeon
The door was open. It found it missing on Thursday morning. I do not have any other pets that could've got to it. The spider was about 4".

I took your advice and looked in the closet. No luck.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would also check any nearby curtains. It will be in a dark enclosed space high up, and the folds in curtains are perfect. How large is the room? Where was the kk (what was it sitting on, distance to the door, distance to other objects, ect.)? Give us a few more details about the room layout and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks to his dumb owner :)sarcasm:me, I left the lid on the KK open), my adult avic has disappeared without a trace. Any tips on how to retrieve him? Where to look? Get him to come out?
You cannot bait for tarantulas. They're not hunters. They're ambush predators. There are no tarantula attractants.

Start thinking like an arboreal tarantula. Look UP. It wants to be "up" and looking down. Look UNDER shelves and overhanging furniture and furnishings, even near the floor. Look for secluded places where it might feel comfortable about building a nest. (Someone else suggested looking in the folds of curtains and drapes. A VERY good idea.) Even in broad daylight, use a flashlight (just as they do in CSI).

Be persistent. If you don't find it now, check again tonight. And tomorrow morning. And the next days, too. If it can't find a place where it feels safe and comfortable, it'll keep moving. Eventually your paths will cross.

Best of luck.

Squiddyboy

Arachnopeon
The room itself is small. The KK is sitting on a metal rack about four feet high. There is a book shelf right next to it. I have a huge shelving unit in that room. The door was open all night and day so he theoretically could have gone to another room. I've checked all curtain folds in the house. I'm about to check shelving.

Morbid question: how long before the T would simply die of dehydration? i know this is a rainforest species.

Cydaea

Arachnosquire
You can put water dishes in strategic places, you may even catch her having a drink!

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you haven't checked the bookshelf, do it! That would be one of the first places I would have looked. The top corners of shelves would probably appeal to your spider, especially if there are things on the shelf that make the area more enclosed. I doubt it would have left the room unless the kk is near the door. Seems like it would head for the first cozy spot it could find rather than wander around

Squiddyboy

Arachnopeon
You guys are great! Thanks for the help! I'll let you know when I find him!

pureabsolutevoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you sure he even left the enclosure? I left the lid open on one my exoterras for 3 days at least, and my Avi never left. After a preliminary check in the enclosure I instantly panicked and just KNEW that the T had to have crawled all the way outside. I spent the next 5 hours searching. So futile. The Versicolor was simply hiding in a different part of it's cage than where it normally hung out.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Are you sure he even left the enclosure? I left the lid open on one my exoterras for 3 days at least, and my Avi never left. After a preliminary check in the enclosure I instantly panicked and just KNEW that the T had to have crawled all the way outside. I spent the next 5 hours searching. So futile. The Versicolor was simply hiding in a different part of it's cage than where it normally hung out.
agreed sometimes your t is a good t and doesnt actually run away

friendttyy

Arachnolord
i would leave the enclosure door open and have water bowl and a food that wont runaway and leave the room a few days and you might get a surprise

DamonM

Arachnopeon
I had a rosea escape once. Found it trying to drink drops of water around the bath tub. I'd check anywhere that might be commonly wet; tub, sinks, etc.

Squiddyboy

Arachnopeon
Good news!
photo.JPG

He's back safe and sound! Thanks again for the advice! (He was hiding in a recess behind the books.)