pink toes together??

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
I don't know why it keeps flipping the picture, but here's where the pink toe's living now. I feel like i need to add one more thing to make use of all the height.
Good arboreal enclosure. And since they love being up high, I would add a ton more leaves at the top. It's way too empty up there for an avic, IMO.

The plant on the ground wouldn't be used at all, except by feeders trying to hide :p

TheRuiner

Arachnopeon
That crossed my mind that that might be used by crickets to hide (ground plant). More often i find they've climbed to the top of the cork bark and are hanging out there. I've watched he/she climb into the bark and ambush from it. I had several really nice pieces of cork and decided to use one that one even though it was really roomy for this specimen.

I have two chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and I'm excited to see what they will create once I give them similar space and height. One is still very small and is already spinning webs to the top of a 5-6 inch enclosure.

I'll have to think about how I will add the extra height, thanks for constructive criticism

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Poecilotheria communals need to be in cramped conditions. If they can establish their own hides, things take a bad turn. Things generally go bad for no reason sooner or later anyway. But that can be delayed.

Avicularia communals, although rarely tried because they simply don't work, are in very large cages with multiple hides. Basic idea is to have the spiders avoid each other as much as possible. Which doesn't exactly make it a communal lol.

If you want a communal, and don't want to break the back on overpriced M balfouri, go for Heterometrus petersii. They're cheap, and do well together. Mind you, they're not tarantulas.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just stumbled across this thread, and reminded me of a past encounter with a woman at a show.

Apparently, she has an enormous A.avic communal with a dozen or so females all kept together...several being paired and others were gravid as well. Now I didn't ask for details, but maybe there are more people doing this then we first thought...I have no idea on success rates.

cold blood

Staff member
@TheRuiner

Yes, the wood should extend to or near the top, and the top half shouldn't just have a plant, but rather should be surrounded by plants....its easy to not add enough...really hard to add too much. Always err on the side of more, rather than less...avics love clutter.

Brianna colon

Arachnopeon
Ok, Ok, I see both your points,.. I didn't mean to sound like I wanted to sentence anyone to death. I guess this T will just get to live out it's days in a space with room to breath. This is my first arboreal and I'm already attached to it.

Just to further explain my reasoning; this Avicularia avicularia I just bought from a pet store with maybe half a dozen of it's siblings still on the shelf, if I'd put two together they would've been sack mates. I suppose I'll keep away from this experiment all the same, I would feel too guilty to see one of these creatures die like that. thanks for talking some sense into me
I’m really late on this but I’ve had good luck with keeping my Avics together. They were sac mates and as they got older I have adjusted the tank size and gave them plenty of places to hide, and I feed then once a week and by doing this I have managed to keep happy it would seem. They have been in the same tank for the last year and a half without any issues. So I’d say sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, I’ve just been very lucky.

I’m really late on this but I’ve had good luck with keeping my Avics together. They were sac mates and as they got older I have adjusted the tank size and gave them plenty of places to hide, and I feed then once a week and by doing this I have managed to keep happy it would seem. They have been in the same tank for the last year and a half without any issues. So I’d say sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, I’ve just been very lucky.
I should also add that both of them are females. I’m not sure if that makes a difference but yea

Last edited by a moderator:

Brianna colon

Arachnopeon
No, the sentence should go: it works until it doesn't.
The breeder I work for has been keeping his avics together for a long time with very little issues, I have also owned and kept multiple at a time without any issues. We obviously have difference views on it, my sentence was said exactly how I meant to say it, and if you can’t respect my views, it really isn’t my problem. But thanks anyway.

boina

Lady of the mites
The breeder I work for has been keeping his avics together for a long time with very little issues, I have also owned and kept multiple at a time without any issues. We obviously have difference views on it, my sentence was said exactly how I meant to say it, and if you can’t respect my views, it really isn’t my problem. But thanks anyway.
I don't like taking chances with the lives of my animals. And if you go on about 'respect' every time anyone disagrees with you it's you who is lacking the same.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I should also add that both of them are females. I’m not sure if that makes a difference but yea
2 spiders being fed once a week? I have a very hard time believing this to be true.