pink toed tarantula webs

mskel008

Arachnopeon
Do both female and male pink toed tarantula's make web, or does one make web more than the other?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Both male and female T's of any genus (ex.Avicularia,Lasiodora,Grammostola) can produce and lay the same amount of silk(webs) from there spinnerets.

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
The only time in their lifespan that males will stop webbing is once they have matured. At that point they aren't interested in making a home, they are looking for a mate.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Mm main objective may not be to look for a home but they still continue to release silk as they make spermweb's to allow themselves to charge there emboli with sperm.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The only time in their lifespan that males will stop webbing is once they have matured. At that point they aren't interested in making a home, they are looking for a mate.

+1. They don't want to be tied down to one address. They've got flowers to pollinate.

Jolan Neumann

Arachnopeon
I'm going to chime in on this and ask a questions about avic webbing as well. i bought a 3 inch avic avic about 2 weeks ago and i don't see any signs of webbing in the container i have her in. she's up at the top during the day and at night down towards the bottom I'm assuming waiting for a cricket to come by as iv fed her twice and the crickets have vanished so she is eating just no webbing so is that normal or i the container i have her in just not right
20160425_074504.jpg

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to chime in on this and ask a questions about avic webbing as well. i bought a 3 inch avic avic about 2 weeks ago and i don't see any signs of webbing in the container i have her in. she's up at the top during the day and at night down towards the bottom I'm assuming waiting for a cricket to come by as iv fed her twice and the crickets have vanished so she is eating just no webbing so is that normal or i the container i have her in just not right
View attachment 209896
I wouldn't worry too much. For some reason mine didn't start webbing until I had her for a year or so.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It takes some time for them to get comfy and move in . She'll probably start building something before her next molt at least.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm going to chime in on this and ask a questions about avic webbing as well. i bought a 3 inch avic avic about 2 weeks ago and i don't see any signs of webbing in the container i have her in.

You've got a good amount of anchor points. Some will spin faster than others, but yours should soon.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
View attachment 209896
Wouldn't worry about it. Agree with Poec, you have plenty of anchor points. My A. versi took a few weeks before she started webbing, and now she has an enormous tube in the corner that goes all the way from the bottom of the enclosure to the top. Probably just needs to settle in.

A little off topic, but just something I noticed...those holes for ventilation look pretty big...I might be a bit worried about your Avic potentially getting a leg caught in one. Maybe my perspective of the picture is just off though.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I doubt a T will get its leg caught in those holes. It's the claws that usually pose a concern with screen lids. I've never heard of anyone having a T with a leg stuck, they're not very clumsy critters :p They know where they're going, they've evolved to move at high speed over uneven surfaces in the wild...unlike clumsy humans who can barely make it down a sidewalk with a few small cracks lol.

Not to say it can't happen but highly unlikely.

Also, another agree with just give it time to web, it might take a while. Once they settle in they'll build one if they want it. As long as it's not showing signs of stress and is eating I wouldn't worry much. I bought a subadult A. avic six weeks ago or so and it still hasn't really webbed anything significant but it seems content, not scrunched up or hiding in a corner, eats regularly, just not much penchant for webbing yet but the last week it has made some "test" webs. Nothing significant yet.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Some web more than others, some individuals don't web until they are nearing a molt. 2 of my A. avics have thick web tubes they live in, one has a little webbing, but nothing like the others and certainly not a "home"...and still one has yet to really web much at all in the year I have had her.