Pink toe tarantula tips

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I recently got a pink toe tarantula (A. Avicularia I think) I normally do my research before I get a new animal but, this was a gift. I would appreciate any tips. The spiders is almost 4in. I need to know what size crickets to feed it. I am going to get an appropriate enclosure tomorrow. I need just some general things that a keeper should know.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
You should use the search function on here. There's a plethora of information on Avicularia species. Arboreal setup, dry substrate, water bowl, piece of cork leaning diagnally to climb, I don't think you'll be able to find crickets that would be 'too big', so large is fine

jaycied

Arachnoknight
You should use the search function on here. There's a plethora of information on Avicularia species. Arboreal setup, dry substrate, water bowl, piece of cork leaning diagnally to climb, I don't think you'll be able to find crickets that would be 'too big', so large is fine

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
At 4 inch you can feed large crickets, one or two a week at most is all I would feed it.

I would do some research on these forums and come back here if you have any unanswered questions. I also highly suggest posting a picture of your enclosure after you set it up so we can give you opinions on it and help you make any changes that may be necessary. A picture of the spider would be nice, too.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
They are easy to keep, especially at this size. At 4", it's past the delicate age. Still good ventilation is a must. Any taller container will work, an 8x8x12 Exo terra to a gallon Snapware like container, to one of those cheeseball barrels you find in some stores. A little soil and some tall cork bark to climb on and you're set.
At 4", it can take large crickets easily. Nice pick up. My A avicularia was a freebie sling who is still growing, but a nice specimen in my collection.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I have done a bit of research already I was just curious to see If there was anything I was missing. Mainly about the crickets. I have had bad history with them. My two beardies were killed because my mom and step-dad thought a baitshop for fishing would be okay. My vaejovis carolineanus was eaten by crickets because I had never kept any scorps at the time and the crickets were a bit bigger than it. I also don't have anywhere to buy roaches or any other feeder. I am going to get a "bugarium" at petsmart tomorrow along with some other stuff maybe.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I have done a bit of research already I was just curious to see If there was anything I was missing. Mainly about the crickets. I have had bad history with them. My two beardies were killed because my mom and step-dad thought a baitshop for fishing would be okay. My vaejovis carolineanus was eaten by crickets because I had never kept any scorps at the time and the crickets were a bit bigger than it. I also don't have anywhere to buy roaches or any other feeder. I am going to get a "bugarium" at petsmart tomorrow along with some other stuff maybe.
I would suggest buying roaches online, B. lats and dubia roaches are great feeders and easy to keep and breed.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
What's the difference of a cricket from a bait shop vs a pet shop? I work in an air cargo facility. The guy that brings crickets weekly ships to both places. I have other issues with them, cost and smell, but not sure what happened with you.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The spiders is almost 4in. I need to know what size crickets to feed it.
My Avic is about the same size as yours, and she will eat medium-sized crickets. She also eats mealworms, although right now she is in pre-molt and won't eat anything.

What's the difference of a cricket from a bait shop vs a pet shop? I work in an air cargo facility. The guy that brings crickets weekly ships to both places. I have other issues with them, cost and smell, but not sure what happened with you.
It might be that a particular shop was not keeping them in sanitary conditions, but pet store crickets can be poorly kept too.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^ I was going to suggest a bugarium. That's the perfect size aboreal tank for an Avic. I always add cork bark and a big water dish and toss the half log that comes w the bugarium in with a terrestrial.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know if you have a Petco in your area, but the one by me has small premade containers of both dubia roaches and madagascar hissers of varying sizes. So if you have a Petco by you, they might have some stocked

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
There's a couple of ideas for setups below.

C. versicolor - Exo Terra Nano Tall, I removed the polystyrene background that came with it and replaced it with a cork tile background because I think it looks better and it's less than half the thickness.
DSC00001.JPG
A. variegata - TSS arboreal enclosure with cork tile background.
DSC00002.JPG

As for feeders you can use medium crickets, alternatively there are mealworms, locusts, waxworms, superworms and red runner/dubia roaches.

At 4" you'd be okay feeding it once every 10-14 days

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
They were all one size and that size was too big.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
^ I was going to suggest a bugarium. That's the perfect size aboreal tank for an Avic. I always add cork bark and a big water dish and toss the half log that comes w the bugarium in with a terrestrial.
I actually decided to get that. I couldn't get cork bark though so I used the half-log.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
I'm having trouble uploading a picture of the enclosure. If you really want to see it go to my Instagram (iloveherps).
To upload a photo click "upload a file" next to "post reply". It should be easy enough to figure it out from there

If you don't want to use crickets then most inverts that are captive bred should be fine, I've seen people use nightcrawlers and maggots from bait shops to feed their Ts

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Nope. Just Petsmart, they have crickets only.
That's annoying. Well if ordering online still isn't an option, my only thoughts would be maybe checking online for a local pet store or breeder within driving distance that might stock some. Sometimes Craigslist has some too. If there's someone close enough, maybe you could meet in person instead of buying online