Pink toe tarantula care

cold blood

Staff member
I'd fill a lot of that empty space w/plastic plants, At least 1/3 of it, maybe even 2/3.
I agree, but I would utilize more wood as well as more plants.
Can I get some cheap fake plants at the dollar store (only store in my town) and use them? Would they be safe? Would I be alright using the rock water dish in there as well the way I have it since it's much nicer to look at than a lid? Or would you keep that out?
You're on the right track....be careful of those plants, they're not plastic so they can and do have dyes....not saying they can't be used, they can, you just need to really clean them good and on top of that, they need to be soaked, I soak them for several weeks, changing the waters daily....the first week it looks like I poured soap in the water....use, but use with extreme caution, I'd suggest plastic.

As for the ventilation, either way is fine.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Whoops no picture.

You're on the right track....be careful of those plants, they're not plastic so they can and do have dyes....not saying they can't be used, they can, you just need to really clean them good and on top of that, they need to be soaked, I soak them for several weeks, changing the waters daily....the first week it looks like I poured soap in the water....use, but use with extreme caution, I'd suggest plastic.

Will something like this work? (I'm probably going to rearrange a bit)

Attachments

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I rinsed that wood and baked for a few hours and left it in the oven overnight.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
So I rearranged and I'm thinking it looks pretty good but I'm hoping I can get at least one person who agrees before putting her in. I really am hoping to get her rehousing today though. I know you all are busy with your non spider related lives but hopefully someone will weigh in. :D Also if more plants are still needed I can add to this later if needed, she's so out in the open in the KK and seems discontent (though she's still eating great) so I'm hoping getting her moved helps.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I figured it was implied to use wood to support the plants and provide hiding based on previous comments, but perhaps not.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I rearranged and I'm thinking it looks pretty good but I'm hoping I can get at least one person who agrees before putting her in. I really am hoping to get her rehousing today though. I know you all are busy with your non spider related lives but hopefully someone will weigh in. :D Also if more plants are still needed I can add to this later if needed, she's so out in the open in the KK and seems discontent (though she's still eating great) so I'm hoping getting her moved helps.
You could use that, I'd add more plants to make the T feel more secure.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
You could use that, I'd add more plants to make the T feel more secure.
Okay, I'm gonna use this set up and I will grab a few more plastic plants when I get to town which should be in a couple of days. Should I add the extra plants near the top when I get them or near the bottom and is the one extra piece of wood good or should I add another? I don't want it to be too cramped, right now she will have decent places for hiding and climbing as well as a fair amount of ground space.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, I'm gonna use this set up and I will grab a few more plastic plants when I get to town which should be in a couple of days. Should I add the extra plants near the top when I get them or near the bottom and is the one extra piece of wood good or should I add another? I don't want it to be too cramped, right now she will have decent places for hiding and climbing as well as a fair amount of ground space.
Plants middle to top.

They are from S. American rainforests, don't worry about it being too cramped.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Plants middle to top.

They are from S. American rainforests, don't worry about it being too cramped.
Alright, I will go ahead and move her in and grab some more plant cover in a few days. :)

cold blood

Staff member
For an avic, there is no reason to have ANY plants on the ground or at surface level, they should all be mid way to the top of the wood.

edit: just noticed viper already addressed this.:bag:

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Rehousing. She's so beautiful, her fuzzy legs looks like starlight. I'm almost certain she is female previous owner had her for 3 years and she was already an adult (she said she has melted twice in that time). She has been in there under 24 hours and had already been exploring and has already started her web retreat (which she hadn't even attempted after I cleaned the KK). I think it's safe to say she is a happy spider. I also put a spider plant next to her enclosure to make her feel a bit more at home and secure.

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She's so beautiful, her fuzzy legs looks like starlight. I'm almost certain she is female previous owner had her for 3 years and she was already an adult (she said she has melted twice in that time). She has been in there under 24 hours and had already been exploring and has already started her web retreat (which she hadn't even attempted after I cleaned the KK). I think it's safe to say she is a happy spider. I also put a spider plant next to her enclosure to make her feel a bit more at home and secure.
I believe that males will usually mature in about 4 years and will only live a few months, maybe around a year, beyond that.
I love my A. avicularia adult female. She is one of the most calm and laid back tarantulas ever. And they are very beautiful. It is good to hear that she has already started webbing up the place. The last home she was in was really sad and pathetic.
You've done good by her and I hope you have her for many years to come. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rehousing. She's so beautiful, her fuzzy legs looks like starlight. I'm almost certain she is female previous owner had her for 3 years and she was already an adult (she said she has melted twice in that time). She has been in there under 24 hours and had already been exploring and has already started her web retreat (which she hadn't even attempted after I cleaned the KK). I think it's safe to say she is a happy spider. I also put a spider plant next to her enclosure to make her feel a bit more at home and secure.
You'll have to examine her molt for 100% confirmation of gender.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
I believe that males will usually mature in about 4 years and will only live a few months, maybe around a year, beyond that.
I love my A. avicularia adult female. She is one of the most calm and laid back tarantulas ever. And they are very beautiful. It is good to hear that she has already started webbing up the place. The last home she was in was really sad and pathetic.
You've done good by her and I hope you have her for many years to come. :)
That's why I'm leaning towards female, hopefully I'm right, I will be sad if she ends up being HE but I will make the most of it and at least I will have the experience needed to own these guys again.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
They were actually one of my "dream T's" so it's funny we ended up inheriting one. Now if someone would just give me a GBB . I can't wait to see my little G. Maule get bigger, hopefully she's female too.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
So I took out the wood because it had mold growth (hopefully I took it out before it caused an issue to me T) I don't want to risk using wood from outside again as I can't ensure it will be completely dry inside. I took it and the rock water dish thing I had in there out, replaced all the substrate because it was definitely too moist, added more ventilation, and moved her to a room with more airflow and less humidity from this dang swamp cooler. I instead added the cage furniture that I posted originally (it's all I've got until I can get to town and I know it's not going to mold) is there anything actually wrong with using this type of cage furniture (I know coldblooded originally said it wasn't the best but didn't say why) it's sold in pet stores for cage furniture. I put the thermometer/hydrometer combo in the room just to see temp (I know the humidity part isn't accurate) it is reading the temp in the room at 77 degrees, and it could possibly fluctuate a bit higher than that on warmer days. Is this going to be too warm for her or my g.maule sling? There is a window A/County unit back there that I can use if necessary.

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Oh and I did replace the water dish, I hot glued a juice lid like the one pictured onto the cage furniture and I also have a very shallow water dish at the bottom of the enclosure jic.

Attachments

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Oh and I did replace the water dish, I hot glued a juice lid like the one pictured onto the cage furniture and I also have a very shallow water dish at the bottom of the enclosure jic.
Sma elid I use for my OBT's water dish ;) Looks good so far! Also, heat isn't a huge concern with T's. Most-all can be kept between 68-80 without any problems. Also, this is just what I've heard, but Avics don't really need much humidity as long as they get damp sub and a big dish. Someone experienced in avics will correct me if I'm wrong. I just wouldn't worry about humidity that much. Looking at the cage, I'd say more ventilation on the sides for cross ventilation. Doesn't look like much is on it's cage...

Beastie

Arachnoknight
Sma elid I use for my OBT's water dish ;) Looks good so far! Also, heat isn't a huge concern with T's. Most-all can be kept between 68-80 without any problems. Also, this is just what I've heard, but Avics don't really need much humidity as long as they get damp sub and a big dish. Someone experienced in avics will correct me if I'm wrong. I just wouldn't worry about humidity that much. Looking at the cage, I'd say more ventilation on the sides for cross ventilation. Doesn't look like much is on it's cage...
I added ventilation as per what coldblooded had on his. Today I added a bit more. Picture one is length side (which was already that many holes), picture two is depth sides which I added more to today (I only had the bottom row on the sides), I also added a couple on the lid, so I can drip in water without taking the lid off.

Attachments