Pink Toe Staying On The Ground???

LeoJames

Arachnopeon
My Pink toe has just started spending a lot of time on the ground of his enclosure. I have vines and a plant and a log that reach the top, so he has plenty of things to climb on. Part of the log curves up near the bottom though, so I accidentially made a small hide and he's been staying under the gap in the log a lot now, even though he used to like to sit in the vines at the top of the enclosure. I've only had him for about three months and I was told at the pet store that they thought he was young, but that they also didn't really know so he could have been older. Is this normal? I know pink toes are aborial, so I'm a bit concerned.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
My Pink toe has just started spending a lot of time on the ground of his enclosure. I have vines and a plant and a log that reach the top, so he has plenty of things to climb on. Part of the log curves up near the bottom though, so I accidentially made a small hide and he's been staying under the gap in the log a lot now, even though he used to like to sit in the vines at the top of the enclosure. I've only had him for about three months and I was told at the pet store that they thought he was young, but that they also didn't really know so he could have been older. Is this normal? I know pink toes are aborial, so I'm a bit concerned.
Go ahead and post a picture of the spider as well as the full enclosure so people can spot anything that might be wrong. :)

Are you keeping it dry?

LeoJames

Arachnopeon
Go ahead and post a picture of the spider as well as the full enclosure so people can spot anything that might be wrong. :)

Are you keeping it dry?
I was definitely going to add a picture of him once he comes out from hiding again. Once I turn the light on he hides (which he also used to not do) so it's hard to catch a picture, and I was actually misting the cage about once a day, I thought pink toes were supoosed to have a more humid enclosure.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I was definitely going to add a picture of him once he comes out from hiding again. Once I turn the light on he hides (which he also used to not do) so it's hard to catch a picture, and I was actually misting the cage about once a day, I thought pink toes were supoosed to have a more humid enclosure.
I had a feeling that was the case.

Check this out http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

Even if we can't see the spider, it'll still be helpful if you provide a picture of the enclosure.

LeoJames

Arachnopeon

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The tank isn't ventilated enough, nor is it an arboreal enclosure -- but you have provided some good fake plants/web anchors.
Another concern is your avic doesn't appear to have webbed much in that environment.
A happy avic doesn't hang around the floor area.
So... ventilation is a big concern, as is preventing a damp/stuffy environment.

How long have you had your avic?

LeoJames

Arachnopeon
The tank isn't ventilated enough, nor is it an arboreal enclosure -- but you have provided some good fake plants/web anchors.
Another concern is your avic doesn't appear to have webbed much in that environment.
A happy avic doesn't hang around the floor area.
So... ventilation is a big concern, as is preventing a damp/stuffy environment.

How long have you had your avic?
I haven't had him very long, about four months

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I haven't had him very long, about four months
My best advice is to set yours up in a well ventilated arboreal enclosure and stop misting.
Your fake plants and anchor points were excellent -- just do a similar set up in a taller cross-ventilated enclosure. I believe that will give your avic it's best chance at recovery and a full life.
You may not even have to spend much yet -- for a 'young'ish' avic, you may be able to improvise with a large clear plastic (gallon+) food container with holes burnt/drilled in its sides.
The main thing is cross-ventilation for excellent air exchange.
Best of luck -- I have a soft spot for avics -- very nice Ts indeed. :)

Do a forum search for ventilation and for arboreal enclosures.

LeoJames

Arachnopeon
My best advice is to set yours up in a well ventilated arboreal enclosure and stop misting.
Your fake plants and anchor points were excellent -- just do a similar set up in a taller cross-ventilated enclosure. I believe that will give your avic it's best chance at recovery and a full life.
You may not even have to spend much yet -- for a 'young'ish' avic, you may be able to improvise with a large clear plastic (gallon+) food container with holes burnt/drilled in its sides.

Thank you, will do! :)

boina

Lady of the mites
so he has plenty of things to climb on.
That seems to be a common misconception. No, it doesn't need things to climb on, it needs things to live on high up. Vines and leaves are nice, but not enough. It needs a (nearly) vertical cork bark or similar to hang out on, fully spread out, and hide in.

And please stop misting. That's a very likely reason for your Avic to show this concerning behaviour.

LeoJames

Arachnopeon

I would have one more question, the pet store said they didn't know how old he was, and I was wondering if you would know if looked old or young based off a picture.

They told me at the pet store they didn't know how old he was, so I was wondering ifyou would be able to tell if he were youngish or oldish based off a picture. He finally came out from under the log.

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I can't guess age by the picture, so sorry. We used to have a member who would say his Ts were "such-n-such inches old" -- you could go by that! :)
Hope yours gets a new proper home soon and has a long life head of it!

LeoJames

Arachnopeon
I can't guess age by the picture, so sorry. We used to have a member who would say his Ts were "such-n-such inches old" -- you could go by that! :)
Hope yours gets a new proper home soon and has a long life head of it!
That's alright, thank you!

Python Patrol Exotics

Arachnopeon
Im a noob as well and i have a C. Versicolor. And when i started googling their care before i got it i read a ton of stuff that they randomly die. Then i found out that that isnt true, they die from stuffy too humid/no ventalation enclosures. Super sad, it sounds like yours is going towards the sudden Avic death. Its super important you get it properly set up. FAST. You can watch videos. Tom Moran has a great video and will show you how to set it up for just a couple dollars at wal-mart. You NEED a large vertical cork bark(petco has them), for it to live on.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
im surprised it survived this long...for future reference, no more info from care sheets,web sites,pet stores etc, if u have a question ask or use the search function.
And tarantulas don't go off age, they go by size

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Age-- You do realize you have provided no information for us to provide a meaningful answer. Think about what you wrote, and but replace T with human....think we could guess the age of the human???? It would be helpful to apply some critical thinking skills and provide the needed information.

Setup is too large, too hard to find crickets IMO, unless you are providing a ton of crickets.

it sounds like yours is going towards the sudden Avic death
There is not such thing as 'sudden Avic death', this is a myth. Keep researching and you will see this.

Python Patrol Exotics

Arachnopeon
There is not such thing as 'sudden Avic death', this is a myth. Keep researching and you will see this.
If you read most post you can read that when FIRST researching Avics and ex-Avics, that a came across that "sudden Avic death". With further research it was just bad husbandry. All this is mentioned in my post

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you read most post you can read that when FIRST researching Avics and ex-Avics, that a came across that "sudden Avic death". With further research it was just bad husbandry. All this is mentioned in my post
I can’t understand most of the post you typed out. Perhaps English is not your native language?

Don’t know what an ex-Avic is, not what “most post” is.

Your post clearly states the OPs T is going towards whatever I quoted from you.

Python Patrol Exotics

Arachnopeon
I can’t understand most of the post you typed out. Perhaps English is not your native language?

Don’t know what an ex-Avic is, not what “most post” is.

Your post clearly states the OPs T is going towards whatever I quoted from you.
I apologize if my typos made it confusing(auto correct does make mistakes). When i say "ex-Avics" i mean caribena and Ybyrapora.
Im sorry that my post upset u
P.s. im native Californian

Repost: edited so people arent confused

Im a noob as well, and i have a C. Versicolor. when i started googling their care, BEFORE i got it, i read a ton of stuff that said they randomly die(sudden avic death). Then i found out that this isnt true. they die from bad husbandry, stuffy too humid/no ventalation enclosures. Super sad, it sounds like yours is going towards the "sudden Avic death" AKA bad husbandry(im sure its not purposeful). Its super important you get it properly set up. FAST. You can watch videos. Tom Moran has a great video and will show you how to set it up for just a couple dollars at wal-mart. You NEED a large vertical cork bark(petco has them), for it to live on.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I apologize if my typos made it confusing(auto correct does make mistakes). When i say "ex-Avics" i mean caribena and Ybyrapora.
Im sorry that my post upset u
P.s. im native Californian
Ex...that's clear now.

Your post didn't upset me. I read posts as objectively as possible for a human. I don't read into text on a website unless certain things are directly stated generally speaking.

Cali, NorCal or SoCal...plenty of critters in that state.