Pink toe molt or dead?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I suppose you're right. I just personally haven't seen a tank that's laid flat like that utilized as fully by an Avic compared to one that's taller rather than wider. The ones that I've seen in horizontal tanks have always just made a small web den in a corner and spent all their time hiding in it (even with at least a few anchor points available so they could make a bigger web). Once I set up my girl in a taller tank, she took to webbing up the entire thing and is almost always out. Before I got her, she was set up in a 10 gallon tank laid flat and she was one of the "hiders" I explained earlier. So I was just going by my own personal experience. But you definitely have years over me in the hobby, so if you've seen Avics or any other arboreals do fine in horizontal tanks, then that's something I would trust. But I am curious how you'd set it up. Do you just set up more anchor points everywhere? And do they actually utilize the full enclosure, or just a portion of it? That's stuff I'd like to keep in mind in the event I ever have no choice but to use a horizontal enclosure.
Neither have I honestly. But I can't think of a logical reason why not. I have an 8x8 exo tera, so same width and height, I keep my 4" A avicularia in it. Shes a pretty lazy Webber. Only really covering the cage she in premolt. After her molt she just lets the webbing fall apart.
I've kept Lampropelma and Heteroscodra in kritter keelers before. Both did fine. I believe tarantula Canada, one of the largest dealers up here in Canada, keeps and breeds their Avicularia in kritter keepers. There's a vid on their YouTube, or maybe their Facebook. I'll post a pic of my A avic cage in a sec. I have a ton of anchor points throughout the back part.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Neither have I honestly. But I can't think of a logical reason why not. I have an 8x8 exo tera, so same width and height, I keep my 4" A avicularia in it. Shes a pretty lazy Webber. Only really covering the cage she in premolt. After her molt she just lets the webbing fall apart.
I've kept Lampropelma and Heteroscodra in kritter keelers before. Both did fine. I believe tarantula Canada, one of the largest dealers up here in Canada, keeps and breeds their Avicularia in kritter keepers. There's a vid on their YouTube, or maybe their Facebook. I'll post a pic of my A avic cage in a sec. I have a ton of anchor points throughout the back part.
Mine goes ballistic with her webbing. Every so often she'll tear parts down to make improvements or add stuff, but it's consistently been more than what I was told she ever made with her previous owner (in the 10 gallon tank). And since it at least doesn't seem like premolt, I'm inclined to believe she just feels like doing it because she can. I actually keep mine in a kritter keeper as well, just turned vertically and with a strip of tape on the top and bottom to both secure the top and keep the substrate on the bottom from falling out. I'll have to look into the dealer you mentioned, to take a look at their setups. I'll be posting some pics of my set up momentarily. I'd really appreciate it if you could give any advice or critiques if needed. It might help the OP (and obviously myself) know the do's and don'ts of different enclosures

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
This is a pic of my setup from about a month ago, when my girl tore down her old, small webbing to make an entire tunnel systems 4 times the size of the original 20170612_135424.jpg 20170612_135452.jpg

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I was wondering if there was any Avic owners on here willing to post some pics of their habitats.
Slings/Juvi setups
Deli Cups 32oz

Inverted boxes

Sub-Adult
Modified Shoebox (This is setup for a poec - for Avics I'd put in more plant leaves to make it more cluttered. They like a lot of webbing points to build their web tunnel home)

For the fish tank you have I'd turn it on it's end and make a front/door out of plexi-glass "glued" in by silicone similar to what I did to the show box lid above. Put in a nice piece of wood for a climbing base and silicone some fake plant/leaves in to create a nice cluttered place for it to web in the top 2/3 of the enclosure.

Sorry to hear your T is not doing well. Good luck.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
This is a pic of my setup from about a month ago, when my girl tore down her old, small webbing to make an entire tunnel systems 4 times the size of the original View attachment 245731 View attachment 245732
Generally paper towel rolls are a bad choice. Being paper,they fall apart when touching water, and easily grow mold. I'd look for an alternative. It may work in a dry cage like an Avics but I would still look for something else, if just to use something that looks better.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Generally paper towel rolls are a bad choice. Being paper,they fall apart when touching water, and easily grow mold. I'd look for an alternative. It may work in a dry cage like an Avics but I would still look for something else, if just to use something that looks better.
It's actually a hollow bamboo tube, not a paper towel roll. I meant to say that with the picture. Is that okay?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was wondering if there was any Avic owners on here willing to post some pics of their habitats.
This is Skyler's treehouse. (She is my Avicularia sp. "pet store," probably Avicularia avicularia.)

The horizontal orientation of the hide is unusual. (I haven't seen any other enclosure like it.) However, it has been a success. It makes feeding easy, as you can just drop the bug right into the log -- no need to fetch it if it falls to the bottom.

The water dish is a Command soap dish from Walmart. (You just need to block the drainage hole at the bottom.) It works well, because the mounting base sticks to the glass with adhesive strips, and you can lift the dish right off of the base to clean it.

Avics seem to like the gentle slope and the ability to drink from multiple angles.

Skyler is doing quite well in there.

KandB

Arachnopeon
I was also wondering how many of you handle your Ts. Is it better off to not touch them ever, or is it ok to handle here and there.

AshS

Arachnosquire
I was also wondering how many of you handle your Ts. Is it better off to not touch them ever, or is it ok to handle here and there.
Oh no!! You've just opened a huge can of worms.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I think most people would suggest avoiding it. I know I would have to literally destroy mine's webbing to even have a shot at holding her, and even then, she'd probably go to her bamboo hide before I could get to her. Plus, it does no good for the tarantula and only puts it in harms way. But as previously stated, if it happens, it happens. But if it does happen, make sure it's no more than a couple inches off the ground and over a soft surface. My C. versicolor sling likes to climb out on me when I'm rehousing, feeding, and even just refilling the water bowl, so I understand it does happen. But because of that, any time I open it's enclosure, I know to do it low to the ground.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The problem with that argument is that we aren't in the Amazon. Our Avics are never sitting in trees with vigorous air flow all around but in small containers. In small containers they are sensitive to high humidity because those containers never have the air flow the Amazon is providing. That's why Avics are kept dry with a water bowl, according to your advice, if I remember correctly? I was talking about an ICU in that context. Yes, you were right, I wasn't really clear about it, but couldn't you, just for once, look at the context and the meaning?
And if you wanted to clarify something (and rightfully so) would it really hurt you to be less, well... blunt about it? Sheesh.
There is no problem with my answer.

1. Avics in small containers, no problem, PROVIDE the air flow required. After all, they have evolved to thrive in a humid environment, so they can thrive in captivity with high humidity IF done correctly ;) This is done for poison dart frogs and other amphibians all the time.

2. My advice is provided that way because few people would/could provide the air flow required, hence bowl + sub. I provide information that I think will work for the common T owner.

There are owners that do more. For example there's a member here who uses a misting system, used for posion dart frogs, and planted vivarium for one of his T. blondi. His T thrives.

I provide answers, not poetry.

If one wants sugar coated answers, go to a candy store ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
There is no problem with my answer.

1. Avics in small containers, no problem, PROVIDE the air flow required. After all, they have evolved to thrive in a humid environment, so they can thrive in captivity with high humidity IF done correctly ;) This is done for poison dart frogs and other amphibians all the time.

2. My advice is provided that way because few people would/could provide the air flow required, hence bowl + sub. I provide information that I think will work for the common T owner.

There are owners that do more. For example there's a member here who uses a misting system, used for posion dart frogs, and planted vivarium for one of his T. blondi. His T thrives.

I provide answers, not poetry.

If one wants sugar coated answers, go to a candy store ;)
Oh, I don't want sugar and I dislike poetry. But I thought you might stop putting all those lemons into everything ;). It's not to be, I get it, I get it.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I don't handle my tarantulas -- I think of them as ornamental pets, like fish. In particular, I would not recommend handling Avics, as they are skittish and prone to take deadly leaps of faith when startled.

Just so you can benefit from my mistake: when I was a brand new keeper facing my first rehousing, I was naïve enough to think it would be OK to get my Avicularia avicularia to walk onto my hand and then put her in the new enclosure. As soon as I tapped her from behind, she bolted up my arm and ran around to my back. Fortunately, luck favored me, and when I placed my back against her new enclosure, she went right in.

That being said, I know new keepers sometimes have an urge to handle their tarantulas. While we don't recommend it, you can get away with very occasional handling of a docile terrestrial, so long as you follow the safety rules (do not handle it more than a few inches above a soft surface). But know that it doesn't benefit from being handled and cannot be tamed. At best, it may tolerate being handled. At worst, it may fall or be flung (by a startled human) to its death.