1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pink toe molt or dead?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by KandB, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    @boina interesting, but it's really the stagnant air that does it ime. I kept my first Avic very humid as a beginner, it was in a high vent exo tera cage however, so it survived and is doing fine. It had the humidity I would keep a Lampropelma or Theraphosa at. But the vent saved the day.

OP, sorry for your loss. Avicularia are one of my favorite genera and it always sucks to see someone lose one. Avoid pet store advice in the future, and online care sheets. They are just as hardy as other tarantulas when set up properly. High vent and some source of water is really all they need. It depends where you're from when it comes to dealers. It's illegal to send spiders to different countries without a proper lisence.

With a screen lid, that cage will work for Avics. But modifying it for a terrestrial will take a bit of work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. boina

boina Arachnobaron Active Member

Germany
    Yep, you are right, I really did not put that well - and thank you for pointing that out so much more polite than @viper69 ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Venom1080

He has a way with words. :angelic:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnodemon Active Member

I kind of thought that, wasn't 100% so I just went with OP most of the time....nice to have another female keeper amongst us, I'm a Scotsman fae Scotland ya ken.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AshS

AshS Arachnopeon Active Member

I figured that one out somehow lol.

C.versicolor (formally Avicularia Versicolour) are also known as the Martinique pink toe. Their care is the same as A.Avicularia. And they are one of the most beautiful spiders imo.
    Their colour changes from sling to adult are amazing. This is my 3/4" sling...
    20170602_193641.jpg
    And an adult looks like this... (photo pulled from google not mine)
    Caribena_versicolor_9_Fh.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  6. KandB

KandB Arachnopeon

Your sling is beautiful:joyful:

• Like Like x 1
  7. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnosquire Active Member

I agree 100%. As one who is dedicating a large portion of his life to wordsmithing, I will chime in to say that there is great importance in the words we choose to use. Some call it nitpicky. I call those people "job security". The wrong words in the wrong places can cause little consequences like misunderstood advice or much greater consequences, such as loss of thousands of dollars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. KandB

KandB Arachnopeon

The cage I had her in would have been ok?? It had a screen lid, not enclosed at the top at all.

9. Venom1080

Yeah. If the screen was metal. Other kinds they can chew through. It provides plenty of ventilation, that's the important part.

I don't know what you mean by not enclosed..

10. KandB

KandB Arachnopeon

Yes it was a metal screen on top. Sorry about the not enclosed thing, I totally put it wrong.

11. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnosquire Active Member

I believe by "not enclosed", she meant that there's holes (because it's mesh), and not one solid piece such as a sheet of glass or acrylic.

But @KandB, the mesh is fine for an arboreal, but a terrestrial could get a foot caught in the mesh and hurt itself

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Venom1080

Well then, yeah. It looks a little large, but I'd use it if I had the space and nothing smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PidderPeets

@kandi I do want to clarify though that the lid of the current enclosure and the tank itself is fine, but you'd be turning the tank on it's side (so it's vertical, not horizontal) in order to make it suitable for an arboreal. I didn't see that mentioned before, so I want to make sure you don't think you're getting conflicting information

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron Active Member

When you're ready to make your next purchase, most of us on here intentionally avoid chain pet shops because we don't want to support that side of their business. Most of those places are a death sentence for exotic animals.

A great way to show appreciation toward the T community that you've found here is to support their breeding efforts. Have a look through the classified section right on this site, and you'll find lots to choose from. Some people on here have been breeding these animals for decades. So you have a great chance of getting a well-started fuzzy friend from an experienced keeper.

In regards to gender, we're all the same:) This community cares a lot more about the sex of their Ts than that of their keepers:p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. KandB

KandB Arachnopeon

Thank you so much, I def don't ever want to buy from the pet store again. It will be a breeder for sure next time. I will for sure check out the classifieds section before my next purchase.

• Love Love x 1
  16. Phases

Phases Arachnosquire Active Member

Many of us can probably recommend good online sources too. I've only used one but I've ordered several spiders from them. Overnight, in great shape, good spiders. You just have to be comfortable un-boxing and housing them is all. Watch a few youtube videos and you can see how easy, or crazy, that can get. ;)

17. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoangel Active Member

Don't beat yourself up. We were all newbies once, and we have all made mistakes.

I love Avicularia. My first two tarantulas were a mature female Avicularia avicularia and a juvenile female "Avicularia sp. pet store" (which I assume is Avicularia avicularia, but you never know).

• Online tarantula dealers (with dedicated websites): 37.5% (total of 3)
    • Reptile and tarantula shows/expos: 25.0% (total of 2)
    • Family members: 12.5% (my first tarantula was a birthday gift)
    • Brick and mortar pet stores: 12.5% (1 impulse Avic at PetSmart)
    • Arachnoboards sellers: 12.5% (1 Psalmopoeus cambridgei from @cold blood)
    Pinchers and Pokies is my first choice (if they have what I am looking for), as I live nearby and can do local pickup to save on shipping.

I would recommend any of these sellers except the chain pet stores. I don't regret buying my second Avic on impulse, because I love her, but I won't be buying any more tarantulas from stores that do not properly care for their tarantulas. I prefer to give my money to people who have tarantulas' best interests in mind.

If you don't know any local sellers, you can check out exotic pet shows. Every time I've been to Repticon, there have been a few tables with tarantulas, and I rarely leave without a new eight-legged friend. You can save on shipping and meet other hobbyists and breeders in your area.(If you aren't good at remembering names, bring a wish list of species that interest you, preferably with scientific names listed.)

There are many companies and individuals who have a catalog business. Most offer a live arrival guarantee (LAG) if the weather is not too hot or cold, and you pay for express delivery. You can read reviews of these businesses on Arachnoboards, and you may want to Google them as well.

Another good place to look is our Classifieds section. (You can search that board for particular species, usually listed by scientific name.) Read the seller's reviews before purchasing. (You can find the seller's reviews by clicking his or her user name and clicking "Reviews & Reports Page.")

Of course, you should also post a review after the transaction is complete! Whether the experience is good or bad, it helps your fellow hobbyists to know.

And while we're at it, I might as well plug these videos by @EulersK highlighting some beginner species (he also has other videos on basic setups and care):

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Venom1080

No. Just because something is wider than taller doesn't make it a bad arboreal cage, that's just common sense. Both ways work fine, but setting it on its edge looks cooler and takes up less space on a shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PidderPeets

I suppose you're right. I just personally haven't seen a tank that's laid flat like that utilized as fully by an Avic compared to one that's taller rather than wider. The ones that I've seen in horizontal tanks have always just made a small web den in a corner and spent all their time hiding in it (even with at least a few anchor points available so they could make a bigger web). Once I set up my girl in a taller tank, she took to webbing up the entire thing and is almost always out. Before I got her, she was set up in a 10 gallon tank laid flat and she was one of the "hiders" I explained earlier. So I was just going by my own personal experience. But you definitely have years over me in the hobby, so if you've seen Avics or any other arboreals do fine in horizontal tanks, then that's something I would trust. But I am curious how you'd set it up. Do you just set up more anchor points everywhere? And do they actually utilize the full enclosure, or just a portion of it? That's stuff I'd like to keep in mind in the event I ever have no choice but to use a horizontal enclosure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KandB

KandB Arachnopeon

I was wondering if there was any Avic owners on here willing to post some pics of their habitats.