Pink toe molt or dead?

keks

Arachnobaron
I have here the problem, that the waterworks is cleaning the pipes in irregular periods with I-don't-know-what chemicals. Such a cleaning-action killed my orchid collection and many slings years ago. I didn't know that, I was shortly moved.
Since that I use reverse osmose water mixed with mineral water without CO2 for my plants and animals and pure mineral water for me.
Maybe there was the same problem with the water of the tarantula.

Edit: Only made a sentence more readable. Hopefully.

Last edited:

KandB

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately my T didn't make it. I appreciate everyone who has helped me and been generous, instead of spewing hate. I did read up on him a a bunch beside pet store advice, but I kept finding myself with the same questions, and different advice. I truly am sorry for putting this animal in harms way, and never meant to take its life. I do believe she was doing well for a while, and me seeing her walk around and eat made me think everything was ok. I can't believe I used lights on her, when I now see Ts don't need it at all. I never did this because it was a spider and thought it would be fun. I have had other exotic pets that are still living till this day. I saw the T and fell in love, and I do promise to do way more research before purchasing another. I thank you all for your advice, and helpful words. I'm sorry if I upset anyone by being new to this, but I would really like to get things right and stay in this hobby.

KandB

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately my T didn't make it. I appreciate everyone who has helped me and been generous, instead of spewing hate. I did read up on him a a bunch beside pet store advice, but I kept finding myself with the same questions, and different advice. I truly am sorry for putting this animal in harms way, and never meant to take its life. I do believe she was doing well for a while, and me seeing her walk around and eat made me think everything was ok. I can't believe I used lights on her, when I now see Ts don't need it at all. I never did this because it was a spider and thought it would be fun. I have had other exotic pets that are still living till this day. I saw the T and fell in love, and I do promise to do way more research before purchasing another. I thank you all for your advice, and helpful words. I'm sorry if I upset anyone by being new to this, but I would really like to get things right and stay in this hobby.
I also will NEVER use carrots, or keep crickets in there longer the a few hours as I believe it may very well could have had something to do with that. Yes she did go for a huge drink, just about 5 days ago and it seemed things were fine, but just reading everyone's advice I can see where it was a disaster from the beginning. Between lights and totally wrong care. I just hope noone is mad and understands that I NEVER meant for this to happen :(

KandB

Arachnopeon
I have here the problem, that the waterworks is cleaning the pipes in irregular periods with I-don't-know-what chemicals. Such a cleaning-action killed my orchid collection and many slings years ago. I didn't know that, I was shortly moved.
Since that I either take reverse osmose water mixed with mineral water without CO2 for my plants and animals and pure mineral water for me.
Maybe there was the same problem with the water of the tarantula.
I will definitely be looking into that, even without cleaning pipes, I know different waters harbor different things, and I wouldn't want that to ever be the cause of another death

Phases

Arachnoknight
That was a good thought about the store quality carrots..

Good luck @KandB - you getting another? All you gotta do is research what you have available, or what you might want to order, then consult here for housing needs :)

keks

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry that your tarantula died :( . I hope, you will restart?
Read here as much as you can, then ask what you don't understand. And post your plans for a new start, so the user here can tell you what's all right and what you better make different (of your new plan ^^) :).

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Sorry to hear the bad news, I didn't think it would make it, but you've learned a whole bunch of info that you would never have had if not for this tragic accident.(you didn't know)Hope it doesn't put you off getting more in future, they are really quite simple to care for, a lot easier than the way you tried so hard to keep it, in the fashion you thought was correct, lesson learned, and good luck with your next T, research, research, oh and research is always a must with any sp. Good luck with any new additions in the future, RESEARCH!

AshS

Arachnosquire
@KandB Sorry to hear about your T. Please don't let it put you off. We all started somewhere and made mistakes or we're given bad advice at some point. The fact is, if none of us made these mistakes in the first place, we wouldn't know about it now. Look at how people used to keep Avics a few years back, it was common place to keep them with high humidity and that's where the Sudden Avic Death myth was born. It wasn't untill a few people experimented and found keeping them dry with lots of ventilation worked better. Now it's common advice here on AB.
Never be afraid to ask the community here for help or advice, we all help each other become better keepers.
Good luck with your next T.

KandB

Arachnopeon
Thank you all! I do want to try again, but this time I am doing some research first before just going out and buying him or her tomorrow. I believe I'd like to try with another Pink Toe. As soon as I was ready I was planning on making a new thread for some housing advice, and more. You guys have been awesome, and I hope in a few weeks you can help me out with my new T!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
So sorry to hear about your loss. I don't think anyone will be upset with you or blame you. Unfortunately, you were just the victim of extremely poor advice. Oftentimes, pet stores don't know anything about their care themselves, and they often relay that incorrect information to the people that buy them. The Avic I got from a woman a few months back was kept incorrectly as well, and I wholeheartedly believe the pet store gave her the wrong information. It's terrible that this is how you had to find out not to believe the pet stores without doing your own proper research first, but at least now you know. And if they had the setup like how they told you to have it set up, sadly the Avic was probably doomed no matter what. Just treat it as a lesson learned and I'm so glad to hear that this incident hasn't deterred you from the hobby completely. The people on this website have care advice for more species of tarantulas than you might think exist, so this is a fantastic resource to have. The fact that you know about this website and are already a member means you're already on the right track. Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, but you honestly didn't know any better.

KandB

Arachnopeon
So sorry to hear about your loss. I don't think anyone will be upset with you or blame you. Unfortunately, you were just the victim of extremely poor advice. Oftentimes, pet stores don't know anything about their care themselves, and they often relay that incorrect information to the people that buy them. The Avic I got from a woman a few months back was kept incorrectly as well, and I wholeheartedly believe the pet store gave her the wrong information. It's terrible that this is how you had to find out not to believe the pet stores without doing your own proper research first, but at least now you know. And if they had the setup like how they told you to have it set up, sadly the Avic was probably doomed no matter what. Just treat it as a lesson learned and I'm so glad to hear that this incident hasn't deterred you from the hobby completely. The people on this website have care advice for more species of tarantulas than you might think exist, so this is a fantastic resource to have. The fact that you know about this website and are already a member means you're already on the right track. Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, but you honestly didn't know any better.
So happy I found this website, and definitely feel more confident already about my next experience.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Glad to hear it. :) Now que all the comments of people telling you what to get next! :D
Nope, he's thinking of another Avic, he'll get all the advice needed here to have a successful set-up, the enclosure will be perfectly set-up, as he will follow our recommendations, that's what AB is all about, glad he found this site, so many willing members. Best forum I've came across bar none.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Nope, he's thinking of another Avic, he'll get all the advice needed here to have a successful set-up, the enclosure will be perfectly set-up, as he will follow our recommendations, that's what AB is all about, glad he found this site, so many willing members. Best forum I've came across bar none.
Oh right, I totally missed that post. Darn, and I wanted to swarm the thread with a ton of beginner terrestrials that would appreciate that tank! :rofl: Ah well, I suppose it's for the best. We don't want to overwhelm the OP

And I agree 100% on how wonderful this forum is. Whenever I have questions or concerns, I know I'm only a quick search or post away from getting an answer

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
We all make mistakes. It's all part of the journey!

My first T was an A. avic (still have her). When I first got her, I was in the exact same boat. I knew next to nothing about proper housing. As a matter of fact, her first home in my care was very similar to the one yours was in. Except I used a heat pad instead of a light. She was definitely going down that same path. I was fortunate enough to come across this site early on and see my mistakes, and correct them before anything bad happened. And my dear little Sasha is still doing wonderfully! Out of all the Ts I've gotten after her, she's still the best one because she was my first:)

Welcome to one of the most unique animal hobbies in the world!

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Oh right, I totally missed that post. Darn, and I wanted to swarm the thread with a ton of beginner terrestrials that would appreciate that tank! :rofl: Ah well, I suppose it's for the best. We don't want to overwhelm the OP

And I agree 100% on how wonderful this forum is. Whenever I have questions or concerns, I know I'm only a quick search or post away from getting an answer
Go for it, terrestrial sp. are awesome as well, I think after the afore mentioned disaster, the OP will take all advice given and be extremely vigilant, there are loads of beautiful terrestrials so why not, mention a few lovely sp. to the OP. they're are some that I want as well, Brachy's are a great genus especially for colour and temperament, G. pulchripes, pulchra, iheringi, the list could go on and on there are so many to choose from.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Might as well list a few terrestrials. Even if you still opt for the Avic, you'll at least have a decent reference for beginner terrestrials, should you ever want some.
As @mconnachan stated, the Brachypelma genus has a lot of great species to start with. B. smithi/hamorii, B. albopilosum, and B. vagans to name a few. I personally have a weakness for just about every Aphonopelma species (A. chalcodes and A. eutylenum are good examples). Grammostola pulchripes and pulchra. Based on my own experiences with them, I'd even recommend Nhandu chromatus and Lasiodora parahybana, but they can supposedly be quite the hair kickers, so I'm not sure they'd be the best ones to go with. Obviously whatever you decide to get is your decision and yours alone, but I like giving people options. :D There's also a decent selection of Avics to chose from besides the standard A. avicularia as well

Last edited:

AshS

Arachnosquire
Go for it, terrestrial sp. are awesome as well, I think after the afore mentioned disaster, the OP will take all advice given and be extremely vigilant, there are loads of beautiful terrestrials so why not, mention a few lovely sp. to the OP. they're are some that I want as well, Brachy's are a great genus especially for colour and temperament, G. pulchripes, pulchra, iheringi, the list could go on and on there are so many to choose from.
I agree why settle for just one. I currently have 3 terestrials and 1 aboreal with more on the wish list.
However if the OP wants to stay with an aboreal, then my sugestion would be C.versicolor of course.

KandB

Arachnopeon
When I first purchased the pink toe, I fell in love, and was actually thinking of getting another type. I'm glad I stuck it out with her and didn't make the mistake on 2 of them tho. When I got it, it was in almost the same enclosure, and was told the high trees would be ok. I will NEVER listen to that again. I also was wondering where some of you purchased from? I wanted to go through an a breeder the next time. I am always up for a cool spider so I don't mind suggestions at all, though I have a place in my heart for pink toes now. I love everyone's interest in helping, and not making me feel like giving up. I may just keep this tank for a terrestrial, and purchase a tall one once I start again for the Avic. I will def be posting what species and animal habitat suggestions before I purchase again though :)