Pink toe molt or dead?

boina

Lady of the mites
This is also what i was thinking, if heat was probably the cause of its condition i would think like anything that has a sun burn a cool damp place would help, i dont mean keep it in there, but temporarily to sooth it.
Yes, but I'd prefer cool and damp and VERY well ventilated, like I stated just above.

Phases

Arachnoknight
At any rate, getting that heat lamp out of there and water right in front of it is a good step.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Im still scratching my head at the fact that all of this happened apparently right after it drank some water :confused:

Phases

Arachnoknight
Probably coincidence. Looking at the floor space it was probably lucky to have found it, drank the water because it was cooking?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
There's really no reason for an ICU, although, it would probably do more good than bad in this situation. But it's way easier/safer to flip the T and drip water on it's mouth parts. Sticking it's fangs/mouth in the water dish is also good, but at this point, I would flip her.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unless that's a molt she thew out and is hiding in her burrow, that's not good.. .. was clean water..?
You clearly are providing advice on something that you have little or no knowledge on, why? Avics don't make burrows they are arboreal Ts.

It never began to make a burrow
Avics don't make burrows they are arboreal Ts. I STRONGLY suggest you read about the animals you plan to own in advance of obtaining them. Any basic information you would have come across, even most of the terrible care sheets I despite, mention Avics are arboreal.

I find it odd that your T died after drinking water, and unless your water is poisoned with something, your T was on death's door for the past few months. I have had adult Avics doing "fine", all of the things you mention, and poof the next day after a few months, were dead. This has happened once or twice in the past.

I cannot explain it myself. As my other Avics were fine, but clearly something wasn't right.

I HIGHLY doubt your T was fine these past few months.

It was UV
Definitely not needed, and likely damaging. UV lights are reported to damage scorpion exoskeletons for example. I'm sure the same is true for their 8 legged cousins.

Avics are extremely sensitive to high humidity
Tell that to all the Avics found in the Amazon Rainforests! Humidity doesn't kill Avics in captivity, it's stagnant air due to poor ventilation. Moist/stagnant air kills Avics. Generally, what Avics need is excellent mass air transfer, particularly if the humidity is higher than say what one keeps a desert T at. When one smells the air in a container and it has that "rotten" smell, that's not a good thing for an Avic. It indicates poor ventilation, and an Avic in such a situation will die in captivity generally. However, the increased humidity in and of itself is not a killer.

If it was, these animals would be falling out of trees etc all over S. America.

Last edited:

Phases

Arachnoknight
You clearly are providing advice on something that you have little or no knowledge on, why? Avics don't make burrows they are arboreal Ts.
I use burrow and den interchangeably. Perhaps I'll be more strict.

I am offering advice because I own one of those, who is doing very well, and I like to help people in need. I was around at the time to offer it while that T lay dying. Had you been there, I wouldn't have needed to say, a couple replies down "I am, though, new to this, so I will step aside to veterans". (or close). Instead, I tried to help.

You really are a salty one. I named my salty T "Lorraine" after a girl I know. I may change it to Viper69.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use burrow and den interchangeably. Perhaps I'll be more strict.

I am offering advice because I own one of those, who is doing very well, and I like to help people in need. I was around at the time to offer it while that T lay dying. Had you been there, I wouldn't have needed to say, a couple replies down "I am, though, new to this, so I will step aside to veterans". (or close). Instead, I tried to help.

You really are a salty one. I named my salty T "Lorraine" after a girl I know. I may change it to Viper69.
I'd be honored if your T was named after me...go for it.

Ah different words for the same thing, that makes sense in that context. But to people reading, who cannot read your mind, and that's all of us, not the wisest choice.

It helps to be quite specific in writing.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Whatever man I misspoke, if that helps feed that horse your sitting up on fine with me. :)

Now, with all your wisdom, please help this guy do the right thing for his T.

sasker

Arachnoprince
It never began to make a burrow
as the pet store said would be fine
It was UV, blue and red bulbs
Am I the only one who cringed while reading this?

@KandB I hope this negative experience will not scare you away from keeping tarantulas. They are great animals and I really recommend not giving up on spiders, but they must be kept the right way. Of course, it is not your fault that the pet shop owner gave you the wrong information, but it is your fault that you did not look for a second opinion/more information elsewhere. A simple search on this forum would have told you what this particular spiders needs, preferably before you purchased your tarantula.

We all make mistakes sometimes (in life and in keeping tarantulas). Just let this be a lesson.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whatever man I misspoke, if that helps feed that horse your sitting up on fine with me. :)

Now, with all your wisdom, please help this guy do the right thing for his T.
No wisdom here, just some experience.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Your T is not likely to pull through, unfortunately.

Worthy to note: Heat does a LOT more to an organism than just dehydrating it. It's a complex machine that can be physically damaged when it exceeds its thermal maximum. So, along with severe dehydration, your T has likely also suffered irreversible cell damage.

Putting a dehydrated T into an ICU is the same as putting a severely dehydrated person into a damp bath tub with a lid on it. It won't work.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I know everyone's already convinced it was the heat lamp, but I'm wondering if maybe the carrots are relevant at all here? If they're just standard grocery store carrots, they could be covered with pesticides. You don't specify, so I have to treat them as if they're not organic or pesticide-free. If the T ate a cricket that ate it, or it came in direct contact with the carrots, and they had pesticides, it would explain the seemingly sudden death. Or if a cricket got pesticides from the carrot on it and then went into the water bowl, the T could have drank the contaminated water. I know the heat lamp seems to be the most probable, but I just want to make sure all possibilities are covered. Unfortunately, the pet store gave you more than enough INCORRECT information, so I just want to make sure you find out every wrong thing they told you in one go, instead of you going on to think some things they told you are okay. Hopefully the ignorance of the pet store won't deter you from the hobby, so just keep everyone's advice in mind with this one and any you may get in the future. I sincerely hope your baby pulls through, but I wouldn't get your hopes up :(

TRection

Arachnoknight
I know everyone's already convinced it was the heat lamp, but I'm wondering if maybe the carrots are relevant at all here? If they're just standard grocery store carrots, they could be covered with pesticides. You don't specify, so I have to treat them as if they're not organic or pesticide-free. If the T ate a cricket that ate it, or it came in direct contact with the carrots, and they had pesticides, it would explain the seemingly sudden death. Or if a cricket got pesticides from the carrot on it and then went into the water bowl, the T could have drank the contaminated water. I know the heat lamp seems to be the most probable, but I just want to make sure all possibilities are covered. Unfortunately, the pet store gave you more than enough INCORRECT information, so I just want to make sure you find out every wrong thing they told you in one go, instead of you going on to think some things they told you are okay. Hopefully the ignorance of the pet store won't deter you from the hobby, so just keep everyone's advice in mind with this one and any you may get in the future. I sincerely hope your baby pulls through, but I wouldn't get your hopes up :(
Thats defiantly something to think about as well, not to mention the fact that baby carrots (which those appear to be) are commonly treated with bleach as a way of removing bacteria. (No where even close to an amount that could harms humans, but who knows what that can do to a T) when i feed my feeders i always make sure to thoroughly wash any veggies i give them (which takes care of the factory bleaching treatment) as well as normally stick to either ones we grow in our own garden or just use store bought actual cricket food.

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Unfortunately it seems that a perfect storm of mistakes did that spider in.
I know I'm echoing everybody else, but please please research here on ABs. You'll get the best advice around.
NOTE: That poor T was doomed the second you followed the pet shop's advice. People here have gone easy on you. You haven't faced wrath like Poec54 when you're guilty of killing your spid.
That poor thing had no correct ventilation on top of it all.
As said above. Let this be a lesson and move on.:)

boina

Lady of the mites
Tell that to all the Avics found in the Amazon Rainforests! Humidity doesn't kill Avics in captivity, it's stagnant air due to poor ventilation. Moist/stagnant air kills Avics. Generally, what Avics need is excellent mass air transfer, particularly if the humidity is higher than say what one keeps a desert T at. When one smells the air in a container and it has that "rotten" smell, that's not a good thing for an Avic. It indicates poor ventilation, and an Avic in such a situation will die in captivity generally. However, the increased humidity in and of itself is not a killer.
The problem with that argument is that we aren't in the Amazon. Our Avics are never sitting in trees with vigorous air flow all around but in small containers. In small containers they are sensitive to high humidity because those containers never have the air flow the Amazon is providing. That's why Avics are kept dry with a water bowl, according to your advice, if I remember correctly? I was talking about an ICU in that context. Yes, you were right, I wasn't really clear about it, but couldn't you, just for once, look at the context and the meaning?
And if you wanted to clarify something (and rightfully so) would it really hurt you to be less, well... blunt about it? Sheesh.