Pink toe molt or dead?

KandB

Arachnopeon
Just got a pink toe about 3 months ago. She was thriving, walking around the enclosure, eating like a beast, and just being a spider. I noticed about 4 days ago, she went into a death curl after drinking her water. Now she has two extended front right legs, one lookin like it's shriveled in

Attachments

Phases

Arachnoknight
Unless that's a molt she thew out and is hiding in her burrow, that's not good.. .. was clean water..?

KandB

Arachnopeon
It never began to make a burrow, usually hung out up in the leaves when hiding. Yes the water was clean, and clear.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Would you be able to take a pic of the whole enclosure? from what it looks like in those pics you have an arboreal T in a terrestrial enclosure (please correct me if im wrong, thats just what it looks like from the 2 pics) as for the behavior it seems very strange that this happened right after drinking, this makes me think that there might have been something wrong with the water, or the water dish itself, what kind of dish are you using for a water dish? could there have been a little bit of left over soap in it if it was washed? or maybe left overs of what ever it was originally used for? more information would be great :)

KandB

Arachnopeon
Yes I will get a pic of the enclosure now. It is a horizontal one, as the pet store said would be fine. She seemed to really like it and explore the whole place. I usually never used soap just really hot water to clean the water dish, as I thought soap would poison it. I have a small shallow water dish, including pics now

Attachments

TRection

Arachnoknight
Yes I will get a pic of the enclosure now. It is a horizontal one, as the pet store said would be fine. She seemed to really like it and explore the whole place. I usually never used soap just really hot water to clean the water dish, as I thought soap would poison it. I have a small shallow water dish, including pics now
Unfortunately the pet store lied to you, Thats not a proper set up for that species of T, they need height to climb and not be on the ground, may i also ask, are those carrots? and if so, why are they in there, and what kind of lighting is that?

Phases

Arachnoknight
Man I'd wait for someone more experienced to chime in, I'm only a couple months (but heavily) into this hobby and it looks to me like you fried it, it looks dry as heck in there, wrong setup of course as well, needs to have height.

Is it still alive. I would check it. Nudge with a paint brush?

KandB

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately the pet store lied to you, Thats not a proper set up for that species of T, they need height to climb and not be on the ground, may i also ask, are those carrots? and if so, why are they in there, and what kind of lighting is that?
I am extremely sad, as I thought I was doing the proper thing.they said to place a carrot in when you feed her so that the cricket wouldnt bite her and it would stay hydrated. I feel so horrible. I wanted to use a heat pad for underneath, but they said the UV blue and red lighting would be fine

Phases

Arachnoknight
Doubt heat was needed unless your house is cold, really. What pink toe is it, do you know the scientific name?

TRection

Arachnoknight
My best bet is that the light is whats literally cooking your T, what is the heat light inside the tank? you shouldnt need any lights what so ever for a tarantula. LED's are the best you can get because they give of no heat. As for the carrots, you shouldnt be leaving crickets in there long enough for them to have to eat and drink, if your T doesnt eat them within the first hour or two you should take them out. I hate to see this happen and i understand how you must feel but for next time please do your research before buying an exotic pet :/ this set up is not suitable what so ever for an A.Avic

TRection

Arachnoknight
If your T is still alive i would get it out of that tank right away and put it in a damp ICU and see if that helps, if you can look up how to convert that tank into a tall standing tank which would work well (but has to be done fast), or if not just go get a new one. DO NOT put any type of lighting that gives off heat, or any heat pads, And No more carrots or crickets living in the enclosure with your T. Make sure you up the humidity and see if your T goes back to normal. The only thing you can do now is give it the right enclosure and wish for the best. :(

Phases

Arachnoknight
It might be in put-out-of-misery-shape. But a damp ICU sounds great comparativly, maybe with a few days it will start to recovery, whilst arachnoboards helps you get that tank in order.

KandB

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, I will def try the ICU and see what happens. I will also be turning the tank around and fixing it the right way. I feel humiliated that I did that to it, and I know for sure if it doesn't survive I'll do way further research before getting another

boina

Lady of the mites
NO, please do not put an Avic in an ICU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a very good way to kill your spider. And you do NOT need to up the humidity in the tank. Avics do not need humidity, that's a myth, they need water. The setup is pretty wrong, yes, and I do agree the light may very well have fried your spider, but an ICU is no way to fix that. Avics are extremely sensitive to high humidity - a small enclosure with high humidity like an ICU often kills them. That was horrible advice.

Take a small water bowl and put the front end of your spider in it so it can drink.

Edit: And definitely get rid of the lamp immediately since it keeps drying out your spider.

Last edited:

Phases

Arachnoknight
If it's been fried I would think, in this case, humidity will be good along with water, BUT - I'm new to this and will step aside for the regulars here.

TRection

Arachnoknight
If it's been fried I would think, in this case, humidity will be good along with water, BUT - I'm new to this and will step aside for the regulars here.
This is also what i was thinking, if heat was probably the cause of its condition i would think like anything that has a sun burn a cool damp place would help, i dont mean keep it in there, but temporarily to sooth it.

boina

Lady of the mites
Possibly. I've been thinking about that. This is an Avic, though, and they really do not do well in an ICU, so I wouldn't risk it. Maybe put it on a wet paper towel, though, in a larger enclosure with good ventilation and not for long.