Pinhead roaches loose

iericcartman

Arachnopeon
Hello!

New keeper here, I'm feeding my new GBB sling pinhead roaches and it stresses me out. I'm worried about one getting loose, I don't want a colony starting up in my house.

Any advice on what to do if that ever happens? Will a pinhead survive and procreate on it's own?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What kind of roaches are you feeding her? What kind of enclosure is she in? How big are the ventilation holes? What kind of enclosure are the roaches in?

Some kinds of roaches are better at climbing smooth surfaces than others, and some are better adapted to surviving indoors than others. "Pinhead" is just a size, not a species.

iericcartman

Arachnopeon
What kind of roaches are you feeding her? What kind of enclosure is she in? How big are the ventilation holes? What kind of enclosure are the roaches in?

Some kinds of roaches are better at climbing smooth surfaces than others, and some are better adapted to surviving indoors than others. "Pinhead" is just a size, not a species.

B lateralis roaches are the species, the T is in a deli cup, the ventilation holes are pin sized, I highly doubt they can fit through, least I hope and the roaches are in a small plastic cup. Looks similar to a cup nacho cheese sauce would come in if you went to taco bell.

I apologize on the confusion on this, I rushed the post and didn't think it through lol. I'm more worried about just dropping one while I'm trying to get them out.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I suppose it depends on where you live, the type of roach and if it will be able to find food and water. I don't worry if I drop a Dubia or even a pinhead red runner because they won't survive here. Large red runners though possibly could, so I keep a few sticky roach traps out. I've dropped a few and they all got caught in the traps. The downside though is that a couple of house spiders also have gotten stuck :(

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I suppose it depends on where you live, the type of roach and if it will be able to find food and water. I don't worry if I drop a Dubia or even a pinhead red runner because they won't survive here. Large red runners though possibly could, so I keep a few sticky roach traps out. I've dropped a few and they all got caught in the traps. The downside though is that a couple of house spiders also have gotten stuck :(
I believe that B.lateralis is considered an invasive species in the USA. Make sure none escape.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Why have a B. lateralis colony if you barely have any T.'s?? It's better to just buy feeder crickets at a pet store than to raise an entire colony for one T. If it's winter in your area I wouldn't worry much. But who knows? Anything can happen.

iericcartman

Arachnopeon
Why have a B. lateralis colony if you barely have any T.'s?? It's better to just buy feeder crickets at a pet store than to raise an entire colony for one T. If it's winter in your area I wouldn't worry much. But who knows? Anything can happen.

I bought 10 of them to go with my T when I bought it. I figured feeding two a week for five weeks would be okay then go to crickets.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I believe that B.lateralis is considered an invasive species in the USA. Make sure none escape.
It depends on where you live in the US, it's too cold where I live. But yes they can infest if you live in a warm climate. I don't worry too much about them, I pretty much have switched to Dubia and only keep a few red runners at a time for my small slings, harvestmen, centipede and smallest scorpion.