Pinecones in enclosure

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I just had a quick question, so I have about 30 centruroides sculpturatus scorplings and i’m going to keep the brood together just because that’s easiest for me, and i’m going to try some things to see if it minimizes cannabalism between them. anyway, I had the idea of putting a pine cone into the enclosure since i think it’d be almost like a “scorpion hotel” that they could all hide in, but i’m not sure if it’s safe. Like how Aspen shavings shouldn’t be used for reptiles and inverts. Would a pinecone be safe to put into the enclosure? I also plan to sterilize it by putting it in the oven.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd assume it'd be same issue as with aspen shavings, the coniferous oils could be irritating to the scorps. It could be worth trying though, just set it up in a corner of the enclosure and see if any use it. If it's unused for so long, just remove it. Who knows, sterilizing it in the oven could actually remove a lot of the oils. May be good to wash it after sterilizing though to remove any oil that dried on.

I want to say that I saw someone post an enclosure semi-recently with baby scorps hanging out in a pinecone. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I'd assume it'd be same issue as with aspen shavings, the coniferous oils could be irritating to the scorps. It could be worth trying though, just set it up in a corner of the enclosure and see if any use it. If it's unused for so long, just remove it. Who knows, sterilizing it in the oven could actually remove a lot of the oils. May be good to wash it after sterilizing though to remove any oil that dried on.

I want to say that I saw someone post an enclosure semi-recently with baby scorps hanging out in a pinecone. I'll have to see if I can find it.
that’s kind of what I was thinking. I guess

Ah yes, I just barely found the thread and it seemed to work fine for them. I’ll definitely give it a shot then seeing as tons of baby scorps loved to hide in there

josh1123

Arachnopeon
I just had a quick question, so I have about 30 centruroides sculpturatus scorplings and i’m going to keep the brood together just because that’s easiest for me, and i’m going to try some things to see if it minimizes cannabalism between them. anyway, I had the idea of putting a pine cone into the enclosure since i think it’d be almost like a “scorpion hotel” that they could all hide in, but i’m not sure if it’s safe. Like how Aspen shavings shouldn’t be used for reptiles and inverts. Would a pinecone be safe to put into the enclosure? I also plan to sterilize it by putting it in the oven.
I think that putting it in the oven might make it burst because wham cones are heated they blow up

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
I don't worry about pine too much with my inverts - I have a flat ponderosa pine bark hide in almost all my enclosures as they are easy to clean and are a good feeding platform, and I have never had issues. I worry about the sticky stuff on pinecones though.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd avoid pine in all small animal enclosures. Pine and cedar contain a lot of dangerous chemicals.

Last edited:

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I’m getting lots of mixed answers here haha. I think i might just leave it out. better safe than sorry haha

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Many of the pinecones I find in the woods are so old they have no pine smell and no visible oils. Try using one of these "naturally aged" specimens.