1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIll Millipede references

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by benjaminfrogs, Dec 1, 2017.

1. benjaminfrogs

benjaminfrogs Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hello Are there Different types if Asian "Pillipedes" or a place or reference I can get more info on them? Would really love to learn more about them

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I'd assume there are at least a couple species. Not sure what resources there are for them, I'll poke around and see if I can turn anything up.

3. It looks like you've already found the main thread for them. Unfortunately you're pretty out of luck as far as these go. Many prominent caretakers in our community who keep a large variety of 'pedes tried and failed with these. I've not seen anything that suggests these have been captive bread. So if you do manage to find them they basically just starve to death over the few months you'll have them. This is even if you find them. It's illegal to import into the US (your profile says California so I'm assuming you live there), coupled with the not having been captive bread here there just aren't any in the hobby.

Don't let that keep you from getting into millipedes if you haven't already. There is a huge variety among Diplopoda and some very unique ones available here in the States.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnobaron Active Member

Asian pill millipedes are grouped into two orders: Glomerida and Sphaerotheriida. Glomeridans are usually smaller and have 10 or 11 tergites and 17-19 pairs of legs. The most famous Asian representative of this order is possibly Rhopalomeris carnifex, the harlequin pillipede. Sphaerotheriidans have 12 tergites and 21-23 pairs of legs. Asian Sphaerotheriidans are all in the family Zephroniidae, though some species of Arthrosphaeridae live in India. There are few well-known species in the Zephroniidae and hardly any have been kept in captivity.

Most pillipedes feed on dead leaves and rotten wood, but it is speculated that most Sphaerotheriidans also have special dietary requirements or gut flora that keeps them alive. Either that, or shipping, is the main cause of 100% captive pillipede fatalities.

Information about breeding, diet, and just about everything is severely lacking for all pillipedes, though here is an article about molting in Arthrosphaerids: http://www.lepcey.butterfliesandmoths.net/Vol_III_01/Vol_III_01_P002.html
    Some guy in Germany tried keeping Athrosphaera, and successfully bred them, but they died due to numerous reasons: http://forum.diplopoda.de/wbb/index...ostID=54207&highlight=Arthrosphaera#post54207

My suggestion: don't even try keeping them. They will cause nothing but sadness and empty wallets. It's not worth the pain for you or the lives of such beautiful creatures for you to keep them.

5. Andee

Andee Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

You would need a permit to get them, I plan to work with them slowly. But I don't plan to do it for several years and I know I will make absolutely no money off of them. From what I understand there are several... what I think are obvious things to do that no one has tried with them. But finding people to actually throw thoughts back and forth onto is near impossible. I would love to learn just because of the issues they have possibly helping other harder to keep species as well but I feel like the science on them barely scrapes the top of what to try and I don't know who to ask for more info on what's been tried. Becaus3 I don't want to lose them in massive amounts because somethings already been tried and just doesn't work but no one knows about it.

6. benjaminfrogs

Thank you for the info! And damn i wish i would have read this sooner lol I already have a small shipment coming lol

7. benjaminfrogs

What were you planning on doing? If you'd like to share i am here to listen

8. Andee

Andee Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

It's likely similar to what people call flake? wood for beetles? I call it kinshi, but I was going to find some very specific wood that they have been observed eating detrimus of, and then innoculating that with king oyster mushroom spores since that is a species that grows wild where a lot of the giant species of pill millipedes are found. You also need to keep them cooler, moist, and I planned to only have a bit on the kinshi through out a rather benign soil mix I have for my millipedes. Just because they need the probiotics created from the fermentation but likely would not do well with over... nutritional soil.

9. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnobaron Active Member

Depending on the species you will have to keep them very cool and very moist. I hope (but can't say for sure) that your pillipedes will last a while.

10. benjaminfrogs

I will be working with Zephroniidae Castanotherium