Pill millipede id

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Not one I've seen in captivity before. It is NOT Arthrosphaera cf. brandtii, a more commonly kept species.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
It is most likely in the Asian family Zephroniidae. It will be very difficult to identify it even to the genus level, let alone species. You may even own a new species. Where did you buy these from? Location will help greatly with identification.

There are some similar pictures under the Google searches for "thai pill millipede" and "zephroniidae", but none have a clear identification. Sorry I can't help more but they are a very understudied group; I doubt that most people on here will be able to identify it past the family level.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
It is most likely in the Asian family Zephroniidae. It will be very difficult to identify it even to the genus level, let alone species. You may even own a new species. Where did you buy these from? Location will help greatly with identification.

There are some similar pictures under the Google searches for "thai pill millipede" and "zephroniidae", but none have a clear identification. Sorry I can't help more but they are a very understudied group; I doubt that most people on here will be able to identify it past the family level.

Sulawasei area! I have a friend traveling around helping me further my collection haha.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
Z. Castanotherium ???

This was my guess. I will have more to share before Christmas if anyone is interested. I am keeping them now for observation. I am looking for specific detrivores for my farming projects. Banking on their hardiness and survivability based on wild information from my friend.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Hmm... that genus sounds fairly likely, but with these things its anyone's guess. Doesn't make them any less pretty though.

Do you have temperature information and any dietary requirements? Most of the commonly seen species in the hobby are from mountainous or cloud forest regions and require cool temperatures. Perhaps one from warm areas with a less picky diet will finally be the species to breed and have several generations in captivity.

Keep in mind that you are one of the few people in America who owns pill millipedes of any kind. I hope your work succeeds both for you and the hobby's sake!

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
These are a more tropical species. You are looking at 70-80 average temperatures at the moment. They are primarily Nocturnal and burrow during the day. They spook rather easy however and respond to vibration..

Humidity i am keeping at around 70

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
DIET:

So far I see I have offered sludge peat from Canada. Cucumbers and bananas.

They have responded currently to nibbles of cucumber so far and seem to be also interested in the subtrate which is also coco coir.

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
Hmm... that genus sounds fairly likely, but with these things its anyone's guess. Doesn't make them any less pretty though.

Do you have temperature information and any dietary requirements? Most of the commonly seen species in the hobby are from mountainous or cloud forest regions and require cool temperatures. Perhaps one from warm areas with a less picky diet will finally be the species to breed and have several generations in captivity.

Keep in mind that you are one of the few people in America who owns pill millipedes of any kind. I hope your work succeeds both for you and the hobby's sake!

What are you keeping currently?

benjaminfrogs

Arachnosquire
I mainly focus on centipedes, but I own Narceus americanus, N. c.f. annularis, T. corralinus and A. monilicornis as far as millipedes go.
Very nice! Id love to offer some up in the near future for people to try id prefer more experienced individuals so that they can represent this species