Pictures - new cage for MM herpyllus ecclesiasticus

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I got around to moving the little guy out of the deli cup I had him living in. I went to the craft store and got one of those acrylic cubes they sell (4"x4"x4" - it seemed like the best size they had, as the next one down was only about 1.5"-2" or so and seemed too small for such an active little spider)

I drilled holes in the top, but then decided the holes might be borderline too big, so I put some screening on the top of the lid as well as an extra safety in case he got through the holes.

Put in some damp coir, a couple silk plants, and a bottlecap with some very clean pebbles (used to use in my aquarium, which I avoid chemicals in), to make the dish a bit more shallow (since it was about as deep as he was tall!)

Got him moved in, printed up a little sign for him, and got all set up. Took some pictures, then was looking at him later and for the first time (since I can now clearly see him when he sits on the side) saw the very obvious boxing gloves - guess my little find is a mature male! :wall:

Thats ok though, we get so many of them if I keep looking I can probably find him a girlfriend. :D And it gave me some good practice making these cubes into cages, so I can use them for T slings, etc. Plus he's still fun to watch because he's so hyper! Eats well too - ate a cricket as big as he was the other day (he's about 5/8 of an inch). :eek: {D

Going to try and find a tripod to get clearer pictures of him, but here's a picture of him, and the cage I made. I was pretty happy with it for my first one!

Anyways, here are the pictures:
Hanging out in the corner of the enclosure:

And his new diggs: