Pics of Mr. Samsa and his home

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I managed to get my boss's camera tonight, so I'll be posting pics like mad :D

This one's of Mr. Samsa's enclosure

I'm going to get some pics of Mr. Samsa himself, so someone can look to see if he's a he (though I'm sure he is). He'll prolly be out at 11:30 p.m. central time :cool:

Attachments

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a great setup! I think Mr. Samsa is a happy scorpion! I can't wait to see him!:D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What an happy Mr. Samba you got! The next thing to make his live heaven would be a Mrs. Samba ;)

I thinks its a male too, according to the lenght of the pectines. If you want to be sure (to see with the lenght of the pectines' teeth) go see the 2 male-female pectines' pics:
http://gea.free.fr/fiche pan-imperator.htm (scroll down a bit - yes its in french (1-male 2-female))

Good luck, Frank

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, judging by this Futile Escape shot, I'd have to say that you have yourself a female Emperor based on the little comb-like appendages that are clearly visible. I believe Males have a much thinner, almost javelin shaped protrusion there. Plus I'm going on the fact that I own a confirmed Female Emperor as well and she looks just the same way on her underside. I'll try to get you a shot of Destroyer braced against the wall of her Pet Pal futilely trying to escape just so you can compare. Anyone else concur with the fact Mr. Samsa might be a Miss?

Attachments

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ta daaaa!

This is what I found when I was trying to breed my emps. Just wound up with a lesbian scorpion encounter. Both were female. Oh well. Now I know and can be on the lookout for a suitable male. Hope the pic and lit help.
http://wrbu.si.edu/www/stockwell/faq/sex.html
posting the link helps.lol

dale

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You know, I've seen that a few times, and I took Samsa as a male. I just got back from PetCo (the one by me is ok, and they all know me). I had to exchange a playmate for Samsa that was very violent towards him/her. This I know was a mature female, as it was freakin HUGE. Anyway, I bought another home. It's about the same size as Samsa. I'm currently waiting for it to settle down before I put it in the tank. I can hear it climbing the box I brought it home in...

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, this time it was Samsa who was attacking :8o
I couldn't win. This time I took Samsa back, and left the one he tried to maul. The new pair seems to be ok thus far...

Samsa was walking weird when he was attaccking it. He was kinda twitching back and forth...it was weird.

N.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should try to ID yourself with the link I gave you (and with the one from the scorpion files too) instead of getting new ones as soon as they're fighting.

Frank

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im new to scorps myself but is that tank big enough to keep 2 in?

It looks to be roughly the same size as my tank where I keep just 1 emp.

Maybe the reason they fight is the size of the tank? or maybe lack of hides for them?

like I said I know very little about scorps but from what ive heard they will fight each other if kept communally if the conditions and size aren't right for them.

Stu.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What in the bloody hell does sex have to do with them fighting? I got all of them at the same place, from the same tank, within 5 days. They were all living together for weeks before I took any of them!

Anyway, Mr. Samsa is gone...

However the 2 new ones are getting along, and one is eating. One seems to be a bit skittish, but it's not stinger-happy, so that's ok.

Is the small gray strip of soft flesh between the top and bottom armor just the result of it being fat? All this pics I ever see of females look like that, but I never see males that way. Is that just because males eat less (which i think I read on this forum)?

N.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
im new to scorps myself but is that tank big enough to keep 2 in?

It looks to be roughly the same size as my tank where I keep just 1 emp.

Maybe the reason they fight is the size of the tank? or maybe lack of hides for them?

like I said I know very little about scorps but from what ive heard they will fight each other if kept communally if the conditions and size aren't right for them.

Stu.
I believe Dave did say that 2 adults could be kept in a 10 gallon tank. I'm not entirely sure these are adults, though (as I know jack about scorps, too).

As I said in the previous post, the new 2 are getting along. And like I said also, they all were living in the same (smaller) tank when I got them.

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Looks like a male to me too, based on pectine length and shape. It is a bit blurry, but female emps have tiny little pectines.

10 gallons should be enough for 2 emps. I usualy expect a bit of "adjustment" time for my Heterometrus and expect some fighting, but I do understand that Pandinus are less prone to that. As for them being kept communaly at the shop, I'll bet they're also kept too cold to fight.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Looks like a male to me too, based on pectine length and shape. It is a bit blurry, but female emps have tiny little pectines.

As for them being kept communaly at the shop, I'll bet they're also kept too cold to fight.

Cheers,
Dave
Ok, so I was right about the sexing. That makes me feel better. I read that damn web site 3 times, and if I made a mistake after that I'd feel pretty lame ;)

As far as being too cold at the shop, hold on to your butts...

This PetCo I go to actually takes care of their inverts pretty well. No sponges, good temps, etc. The only thing I don't like is the substrate they use to keep them all visible. They use that weird rodent pellet substrate. Other than that, they do a pretty good job. Two of the guys that handle that section of the store keep inverts, so it's usually pretty well taken care of. Besides, they buy everything in bulk and are really friggin cheap ;P

N.