PICS: H. longimanus mating

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I caught my H. longimanus mating tonight! My male brang his girl at the romantic PVC pipe for the dance. It's easy to see who's the woman (hint: she's the fattest).

Everything went fine, even if, by error, I disturbed them. About 40-50 minutes after the pics, I saw the male in the female's burrow and saw the female trying to get him out by clawing his metasoma. She never wanted the male in her burrow, even if she wasn't in the burrow when he was entering in. Could there be another reason for clawing the male? Maybe she wasn't satisfied by what he gave her? :D Maybe the guy went in the burrow to hide from the evil female that was attacking him?

BTW, my female "exploded" 2-3 days ago, she took weight and her tergites are more and more distanced. I hope it's a sign of something... :)

Last edited:

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way, can you empty your pm...if you want my zip

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That 'exploding' probably isn't because of young. I had a Heterometrus spinifer that gave birth, but I had it for about 3 months before it did. And it never showed any signs of pregnacy until about 2-3 days before it gave birth.

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, but when females are pregnant, they're supposed to get alot of weight in a very short time. That's what I was refering to.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Frank,

They do put on a lot of weight all of a sudden -- but it isn't right after mating. I find that a few months prior to partuition they start to get bulk and they will truly baloon up about a month prior.

Cheers,
Dave

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dave, the pics has been taken yesterday night, and I realised that she "exploded" 2-3 before yesterday, not right after the mating :p