1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking a Healthy Scorp

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by H. laoticus, Mar 17, 2009.

1. H. laoticus

H. laoticus Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    hey guys, I am going to buy a scorpion from the pet store and would like to know what signs to look for in a healthy scorpion (I am going to pick one out). You know, like mites or diseased ones i would like to avoid {D

I would like to get a young male Heterometrus Laoticus and I know a few methods of distinguishing the younger ones from the old but I would like to hear your opinions!
    Thanks.

2. T.ass-mephisto

T.ass-mephisto Arachnobaron

i know when looking for mites you need to check around the joint areas. as for other things to avoid i have heard that scorpions that always have their claws up in like a boxers stance are good to avoid as well as dragging their tails. i hope that helps.

3. dairy

dairy Arachnoknight

BC
    Something to check for is drift in the tergites. If the scorp has a gap between 2 tergites (the plates on the back) but it's not an even gap between all the tergites it usually means the scorp is near it's expiry date. If there's a gap between all the plates, and it's even across all the plates then it's just fat or premolt. Asymmetrical anything is most likely a problem.

Other than that check for obvious issues. For the record they should have 8 legs, two claws and a tail with a stinger on the end :D Missing legs or claws will not grow back.

4. H. laoticus

wow, thanks for that very specific info! i'll definitely have a look out for those irregular membranes poppin out :p and pay close attention to their stances as well!

5. calum

calum Arachnoprince

just check the scorpion is responsive, and can defend itself properly.

and check for mites, damaged leg parts, etc.

note; a missing leg will not stop your scorpion from doing well in life.

6. True! If you do find one with a missing limb, just tell the store to give you a huge discount.

7. H. laoticus

Lol
    good idea :p

8. Miss Bianca

Miss Bianca Arachnoprince

They don't regenerate like tarantulas?

9. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

10. H. laoticus

ya, regeneration of limbs is fairly slow. But if they lose a limb when they're very young it's possible they can get it back, but no hope after last molts.

11. dairy

dairy Arachnoknight

BC
    They can regenerate to a degree but as stated above after they're mature there is zero regen. As well, depending on damage to the limb, it may not completely regenerate even with successive molts.

Not that a 7 legged scorp isn't a cool pet. I had one that got a leg ripped off by a gravid female. He was highly defensive for a few days but eventually he settled down and eventually died of old age.

12. Unfamiliar

Unfamiliar Arachnopeon

Check the pectines and the book lungs as well. One of my emps has half a pectine missing but as far as i'm aware its not a problem, though it may cause some complications for mating if its a male but I don't know.

Check the book lungs for mites, little white grains around the openings on the underside. I've never seen them but thats what i've heard.

13. H. laoticus

ok guys thanks a lot!
    i think i'm ready now to go and get one!
    muahaha, i'm going today actually :D