Phrynidae Gestation Period

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anyone have any general ideas of gestation times in some of the more common phrynids? I have a P. carolynae with eggs right now, so I'm wondering how long it'll take for them to hatch. Probably at least a couple months right? Is a humidity bump or increased feeding recommended? I haven't fed her since I noticed the eggs since I don't want to unnecessarily stress her out.

Need to find where I put Orin's book...probably has the info I need in there.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A couple? These are not Damon. I would expect 4-5 months at least.
That's really good to know Gil, thank you! I assume a normal feeding schedule then, or do you have any special recommendations? Any differences in temps or humidity?

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
If your female is already carrying eggs, I'd cut down the feeding. They can eat a little bit but not too much because they cannot gain weight while carrying the sac.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you breed her or was she already gravid when you acquired her? I've had a small group of P. carolynae for a couple of years now and still no eggs or babies. (I haven't figured out how to sex them, so it's possible they're all boys or all girls. To increase my chances of having a mixed group, I collected a few more on my recent trip to Tucson and will be gradually integrating them into the group.)

I need to find my copy of Orin's book and see if he says anything about P. carolynae. I was looking for it not too long ago because my vinegaroon was carrying eggs - but after carrying the eggs under her abdomen for nearly a month, she ate them this past weekend. :(

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If your female is already carrying eggs, I'd cut down the feeding. They can eat a little bit but not too much because they cannot gain weight while carrying the sac.
Thank you Gil, I'll spread out the feedings then. I won't be too surprised if she doesn't eat much though.

Did you breed her or was she already gravid when you acquired her? I've had a small group of P. carolynae for a couple of years now and still no eggs or babies. (I haven't figured out how to sex them, so it's possible they're all boys or all girls. To increase my chances of having a mixed group, I collected a few more on my recent trip to Tucson and will be gradually integrating them into the group.)

I need to find my copy of Orin's book and see if he says anything about P. carolynae. I was looking for it not too long ago because my vinegaroon was carrying eggs - but after carrying the eggs under her abdomen for nearly a month, she ate them this past weekend. :(
The adults are WC, but I paired them myself (she may have already been gravid). Sexing them was a pain, one was the perfect example of a male, but the other two I wasn't sure on, so I paired them one at a time to see what happened. Found spermatophores the next day on this one, though it didn't look like any were used (matched pics in this thread). I know Orin's book shows how to sex them, it's all about the shape of the operculum. Female has a more distinct W or M shape, depending on which way you're holding her. I guess there is a way to tell from the top or sides, but it takes some experience to get good at that.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Eggs have hatched and the whiplings jumped off mom's back last night! Small brood, but still very exciting to see!