Phrixotrichus vulpinus

combelack

Arachnopeon
Greetings I haven't had much luck finding information on Phrixotrichus vulpinus and it seems that the nomenclature has in the past been a tad all over the place but i am wondering if the slings currently being offered are reliably identified. There is another Phrixotrichus species (and here i use the term species loosely due to the questionable nomenclature used) P. sp violet that i have seen for sale and i would greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me more information about the spider currently being sold under that name it would be appreciated.
Mark

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
What information are you looking for? Phrixotrichus aren't commonly available so there isn't going to be loads of information available but there is more than enough to get a good understanding of the species you mentioned. As far as knowing if they are properly identified as slings, well not sure how you could go about doing that without seeing them and considering they are easily identifiable at a small size. I do hope you get them though because it would be nice to see them become established in Canada. I'm getting a couple Euathlus sp San Felipe from the same order.

Check out the video that BirdspidersCH posted recently.. These are really desirable Tarantulas as far as I'm concerned.

combelack

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info, Mostly i was looking for information about peoples experience when it comes to raising these guys plus things like maximum size and growth rate and any other tips. I am probably being a little paranoid when it comes to things not being labeled correctly as i only purchase from companies that have good reputations (think it stems from my days of collecting plants as misidentification runs amuck in the horticulture world). I was just eying Euathlus sp San Felipe and it looks like a pretty cool species.

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
I am deep into the world of plants so I can relate as far as frequency of misidentified plants go. As far as the growth rate for these Tarantulas, I am just going to assume that it's going to be slow and if its medium then that's a nice surprise. I have seen many species of Euathlus described as slow growing and have a feeling that Phrixotrichus will be similar.