1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographing Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Through the Lens' started by MikeyD, Jan 10, 2019 at 2:40 AM.

1. MikeyD

MikeyD Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I haven't been doing much photography these last few years but after my DLSRs shutter died last year after taking only a couple photos on a trip to Costa Rica last winter I knew I needed up update my gear. I got a new Canon 80D, a new macro lens, a Raynox DCR-250 macro, some new lighting and a flash, and a macro focusing rail. I bought this new gear with the intention of getting back into photography and macro photography in general. I used to photograph my exotic plants but have become very interested in photographing my inverts after seeing some of the incredible photos on this site. I have experience with focus stacking as I had used it years ago with some of my botanical photos. Really what I am having problems with is how to work with a living subject that just wants to run away. What techniques do people use to keep tarantulas in position? So far I have just tried to encourage a T to sit on a piece of cork bark but I have been unable to get even a single photo because I haven't been able to get the shot composed and in focus before the subject decides to wander off. I have read that some people will take a large low tub of water and place the cork/wood/rock in the middle with the tarantula on top and then hope that it will stay put. Are there any other techniques? I do have a collection of beetles and other mounted insects and many interesting plants that I can photograph but I would really like to start learning how to photograph my tarantulas in a way that presents them in a more aesthetic way, outside of their enclosures.

2. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member