Photo Shoot...Gone Awry!!!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl

Needless to say, I never got the picture I wanted... but I thought it was a cute little interaction. Such a ladies man... er, tarantula!

kellygirl
Great series Kell. I see you have a love of Brachypelma, great choices! Actually I'm glad you've got a bunch of them, they're perfect to sex early using that method on Rick's site.

Cheers,
Steve

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Great series Kell. I see you have a love of Brachypelma, great choices! Actually I'm glad you've got a bunch of them, they're perfect to sex early using that method on Rick's site.

Cheers,
Steve
I checked that site out and the pictures were awesome. I'm really gonna have to study them though. And gotta print that one sheet out... I have a curly hair that just molted to about 4 inches that should be pretty easy to sex. Avicularias still elude me though.....

kellygirl

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
I checked that site out and the pictures were awesome. I'm really gonna have to study them though. And gotta print that one sheet out... I have a curly hair that just molted to about 4 inches that should be pretty easy to sex. Avicularias still elude me though.....

kellygirl
Hi Kell,
Perfect, A.albopilosum is an ideal spider to get used to this method with. Avicularia sound a little more difficult then most, but there's another trick to this method. That dark patch (the epiandrous fusillae) are actually spineretts and are a lot thicker then the standard setae (bristles/hair) found on the abdomen. In spiders where the color of these fusillae isn't obvious (Avicularia spp.) and a dark patch can't be seen, with the aid of a cheap pocket microscope, these fusillae could easily be found on an exuvium (shed skin). Some of these pocket microscopes can be bought for under $10.00! I'd consider it a great investment, particularly if I wanted to sex a few Avics in a collection. If at first (using a pocket microscope) it seems a bit hard, a quick email to Rick West himself, with some questions on what to look for and Rick will answer your queries for sure. I love this method, because sex can be positively determined so early in the spiders life that all other methods become primitive.

Cheers and good luck :)
Steve