Photo Setup...and Photoshop Tweaks

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the post. That is a nice and inexpensive setup. For T's and scorps though, I would consider replacing the white poster board with something a little more natural looking though.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When I first saw it, I was in a Photoshop frame of mind...and a white background makes it easy to place them in another shot, but I agree with what you're saying Wind.

Perhaps a "pullout tray", filled with substrate and other stuff, that can just be placed inside of the setup? You wouldn't see the poster board in the pic, but it would still help with lighting...I think?

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the light tent is configured properly it really wont matter if the background is posterboard or substrate, unless you're looking to illuminate things like the undersides of the legs. One thing I wonder, though, is whether white board would reflect enough light onto the lower surfaces of an invert to give it an unnatural look once the background is knocked out and replaced in photoshop with something darker. Perhaps a color like blue or green would work better?

Steve

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That will be me one day.

Only much better looking, I hope. ;)

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
defour said:
One thing I wonder, though, is whether white board would reflect enough light onto the lower surfaces of an invert to give it an unnatural look once the background is knocked out and replaced in photoshop with something darker. Perhaps a color like blue or green would work better?

Steve
There's got to be quite a few people here that would have a better idea of what works and what doesn't work in an actual setup, than me (insert awesome photog's name here), because I'm a photography novice at best.

I'm hoping to have as many suggestions and thoughts tossed around, as to what will work in what situation, and what won't...so by the time I have the setup, I'll have a good starting point, if not most of the info I need to take the best shots possible.

@Lelle - That's a pretty cool setup, thanks for posting it. Do you use something similar for your shots? Snakes or inverts...

@Sheri - You're already way more handsome than that guy! ;P ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deschain said:
@Lelle - That's a pretty cool setup, thanks for posting it. Do you use something similar for your shots? Snakes or inverts...
No I dont, but I had a larger cage especially set up for the National Geographic filming and I used that for a few shots. Worked very well.

/Lelle

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow! I didn't know they had done a piece on you/your pets! That's so cool.
Did it ever go to air?

Your setup is pretty sweet as well. :clap:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deschain said:
Wow! I didn't know they had done a piece on you/your pets! That's so cool.
Did it ever go to air?

Your setup is pretty sweet as well. :clap:
They filmed a Phoneutria and it was aired in a NG serie called "Insects from Hell"

/Lelle